Iodine-125 implantation: Warning over radiation from cancer patients

webfact

IODINE-125 IMPLANTATION
Warning over radiation from cancer patients

Chularat Saengpassa,
Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE DEPARTMENT of Medical Services has urged cancer patients who have undergone Iodine-125 implantation treatment in China to get themselves tested to ensure they are not harming others with radiation.

Suphan Srithamma, a department official, made the plea yesterday in response to concerns that medical workers could get exposed to harmful radiation because affected patients fail to inform them they were exposed to radiation.

"If the radiation is beyond safe limits, they need to follow safety instructions," he said.

More than 500 Thai patients are believed have flown to China for the I125 implantation. Of those, 35 have subsequently shown up at Thai medical facilities for medical help.

As a basic guideline, he said, patients should keep a distance of at least one metre from others if they have been implanted with Iodine-125 or I125.

I125 seeds are used to treat prostrate cancer.

"After 60 days, the level of radiation should be halved," Suphan said.

Earlier this month, the Thai Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology raised the alarm by releasing a statement alerting relevant agencies about the possibility of cancer patients returning from China after having I125 seeds implanted in their bodies.

"Radiation from some patients is beyond safe limits," the statement warned.

The statement said that according to proper procedure, medical-service providers should allow patients out of their facilities only after the radiation has gone beyond the 100-cm-diameter level and has dropped below 2uSV/h.

While the statement does not name any specific healthcare provider in China, the media spotlight is now on the FUDA Cancer Hospital in Guangzhou, which has advertised its services in Thailand. Some reports have suggested that it has even helped to arrange flights for interested cancer patients.

"We may be able to take action against this institute for exaggerated benefits of the services in their advertisements," Suphan said.

Siriwan Bhuminanpokin, a representative of FUDA Cancer Support Centre in Thailand, yesterday said the hospital provides safe radiation treatment for all patients treated with permanent implantation of brachytherapy and it warns patients not to get too close to children or pregnant women.

"The patients have to wear a radiation safety suit for at least three months. In some cases, they have to wear it for a longer period," Siriwan said.

"Our hospital is not primarily treating cancer patients with brachytherapy. Doctors are responsible for deciding whether the patients should be treated with brachytherapy or other medical techniques," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Warning-over-radiation-from-cancer-patients-30258393.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-21

I'm, I'm gobsmacked and speechless ... can anyone lend me a few words while I complete a coherent sentence?

Treating a health issue with an element that is potentially unhealthy for people in your environment but is supposedly helpful to you... Hang on, I'll come back when my head stops wagging 'no no no'.

cancer comes from bad habits over the years

cutting it out, burning it away or radiate it till you have no more immune system is nothing short of ignorance & torture

I suspect they're not ignorant about what they're doing, but I'd agree that it's torture. If we get rid of Roundup, Fluoride, Mercury [insert massive list here], then cancer rates would start to decline a little. Adding elemental Iodine or salt thereof (the non emission sorts) wouldn't be a bad idea either (check cancer rates for Thailand vs Japan for example in their iodine intake, and magnesium too).

But yeah, the 'slash/burn/poison' (surgery/radiation/chemo) ideas don't really sit well with the hippocratic oath. Do no harm? I'll delete my own expletives for that one.

• Like 1

'I125 seeds are used to treat prostrate cancer.' I'm fairly sure few cancers can be described as prostrate.

Prostrate/Prostate, there/their, loose/lose... I think people more and more learning to write by what they hear rather than reading in a book, like those old paper things we had as kids.

Afterthought:

If anyone has any prostate issues, it might be worth looking into the benefits of "Pau d'Arco" tea (it's the scrapings from the inside of the bark of the tree). Not just for cancer, but BPH as well. It's dirt cheap and actually tastes pretty good.