Uk Child Benefit + Living Overseas

wayner

Hi Folks

Hope this is the right place for this question.

My wife and I have just had our first child in the UK and are now receiving child benefit for him.

We are planning to return to SE Asia soon and wonder if we would have any difficulties continuing the claim. I'm aware that we are not entitled to it. (Seems ironic that people now coming from places such as Greece or Poland to the UK can claim benefits for themselves AND child benefit for children at home in their respective countries - I'd like to make it clear that I do not resent this in any way but I am dissappointed that we're not entitled because we're not in in Europe)

I'm just wondering if anybody from the UK has any advice or personal experience in this matter.

Sorry, it's just not going to happen. We don't get any money for ours

wayner Posted Yesterday, 2006-09-04 23:42:27

Hi Folks

Hope this is the right place for this question.

My wife and I have just had our first child in the UK and are now receiving child benefit for him.

We are planning to return to SE Asia soon and wonder if we would have any difficulties continuing the claim. I'm aware that we are not entitled to it. (Seems ironic that people now coming from places such as Greece or Poland to the UK can claim benefits for themselves AND child benefit for children at home in their respective countries - I'd like to make it clear that I do not resent this in any way but I am dissappointed that we're not entitled because we're not in in Europe)

I'm just wondering if anybody from the UK has any advice or personal experience in this matter.

Thanks jap.gif

Me neither and I did talk to the correct department and they apologised and said that the law regarding this specifically forbids payment of Child Benefit outside of the EU and those countries with a reciprocal agreement with the UK.

When I receive my UK pension it will not be increased either.

I actually do resent this as I have paid up all my contributions for 44 years and I will only be able to get the basic married couples pension with no increases ever until the law is changed. :o:D

The title of the post is child benefit but you need to appreciate that there is child benefit and child tax credits. The instance of the East Europeans getting money for children living in the home country was for child tax credits.

I assume that anybody who is resident can claim both if they meet the criteria. I think for child tax credits you must be a couple but child benefit you can be a single parent.

I suppose that if you remained a UK resident for tax purposes and maintained some sort of UK address then there would be nothing wrong with claiming. You just have to get around the UK tax implications then.

We are planning to return to SE Asia soon and wonder if we would have any difficulties continuing the claim. I'm aware that we are not entitled to it.

You mean - You have no problems with committing benefit fraud.

One of my colleagues and his wife continuned to claim child benefit while he was posted in Singapore. They were caught out when he returned to the UK and his wife was taken to court for benefit fraud - They had to pay back the money they had claimed during their absense overseas and his wife now has a criminal record.

One point to note is that child benefit also includes NI Payments, so if you are overseas and wish to continue your wife's NI record then don't forget to pay the NI Voluntary contributions.