US teen faces life term for killing Australian man out of 'boredom'

webfact

Oklahoma teen faces life term for killing Australian man out of 'boredom'
Reuters

OKLAHOMA CITY - A teenager convicted of fatally shooting an Australian jogger in 2013 out of boredom faces life in prison without the chance of parole after he is sentenced in June, Oklahoma prosecutors said on Monday.

Chancey Allen Luna, who was 16 at the time of the crime, was found guilty on Friday of first-degree murder in the drive-by shooting of Christopher Lane, an Australian baseball player who was visiting his girlfriend in Duncan, Oklahoma, when he was shot in the back.

The jury recommended that Luna receive life in prison without parole when he is formally sentenced by a judge on June 16. Luna was in a car with two other teens, and prosecutors said Luna fired the fatal shot that killed the 22-year-old Lane.

Lane's killing garnered wide attention after Duncan police said the boys said they shot Lane because "they were bored." "I no longer hav e ... a zest for life because one of my kids is missing," Lane's mother, Donna Lane, said in a victim-impact statement to the judge on Friday.

Full story: http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/oklahoma-teen-faces-life-term-killing-australian-man-out-boredom

-- asiaone 2015-04-21

Each day when you read the news or watch T.V you hear about guns and other related violence, in the U.S. The gun culture is a menace to the society. It does not matter if the criminals are white or black; the fact of the matter is people are getting killed, attacked, abused and made to suffer. Supposedly a developed country with law and order.

Why would there be protests similar to Ferguson?

A person was convicted for murder.

This had nothing to do with police actions.

True enough - no police involved.

However, if the victim was black or moslem and the killer white non moslem then there would probably have been allegations of racist or religious motivation.

It does seem that in some Western countries the words racists and religious bigots are only applied to white non moslem people - regardless of whether they are Atheist, Christian, Jew or whatever.

Why waste tax payers money to keep scum like this alive, and lethal injections are not the solution. Make a show by having the guy executed in public by slow shooting. There is no need to show humaness or kindness to low life forms like these. Make a public stance by letting them suffer in public , let them weep and cry in pain before dying slowly. If possible, the parents (or rather animals) that bore these scum should also be executed along with them.

Why waste tax payers money to keep scum like this alive, and lethal injections are not the solution. Make a show by having the guy executed in public by slow shooting. There is no need to show humaness or kindness to low life forms like these. Make a public stance by letting them suffer in public , let them weep and cry in pain before dying slowly. If possible, the parents (or rather animals) that bore these scum should also be executed along with them.

In the U.S. system, enforcing the death penalty is more expensive than lifetime imprisonment.

Beyond that, what you are advocating for is barbarism. Suggest you watch an ISIS video or something ... might quench the blood lust.

There are hundreds of miscarriages of justice involving murder around the world, incl the USA. That's why the death penalty is not only morally wrong, it is ineffective and it often results in the execution of the wrong person.

There are hundreds of miscarriages of justice involving murder around the world, incl the USA. That's why the death penalty is not only morally wrong, it is ineffective and it often results in the execution of the wrong person.

Can you point out to us how many wrong persons that has "often" been executed ??

Can you point out to us how many wrong persons that has "often" been executed ??

Im sure you'd change your tune should you be wrongly convicted

Just 1 innocent execution is a huge huge miscarriage of justice

Then another issue is when someone realizes that thats what they will face with 1 murder they might and have gone on to kill more before being caught and then, may go out in a blaze of "glory" in a shoot out with the cops.

Hardly a great result for a civilized country is it now?

This rubbish hardly ever happens in australia because of gun control. the only plus side to civilians bearing arms is a deterent on invasion.

You were implying "home invasion", yes?

As to "country invasion", civilian gun ownership doesn't seemed to have done much to quash the illegal migration to the U.S. that's continuously occurring.

You are probably too thick to realise it, but your sick fantasies put you in the same category as the defendant in this case, in fact you are probably worse. You should seek help with your problem.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good to see that USA gives out long jail time............In Europe this creep would be back on the street again after 10 years.

In Australia, With the help of clever lawyers, A guilty plea on manslaughter, 2 to 3 years max Imprisonment, They would bring up allsorts, His father growled at him as a child, He didn't have enough sugar on his cornflakes, He had trouble fitting in to society, He had a little too much speed that day, The clever defense lawyers have the ability to make the jury feel sorry for the perpertrator , , And many times they fall for it . Sad but true. A lot of oxygen thieves walking the streets in Australia, That should never see the light of day, !

Why would there be protests similar to Ferguson?

A person was convicted for murder.

This had nothing to do with police actions.

But was the fact that the shooter was black and the victim white, make the shooting racially motivated? Would the black youth have shot another black? Of course we don't know the answer but wasn't that part of the problem in Ferguson? If it had been a black policemen shooting the black victim in Ferguson would there have been the outrage and subsequent protests? The Ferguson shooting was white policeman black victim this was black against white. No public outrage, no protests, no looting.

The question is why was this not originally prosecuted as a hate crime as review of the case seems to indicate this. And what of the others in the car did they get off with no charges?

Good point. Maybe that's what a prior poster was getting at when alluding to demonstrations by non blacks.

Re the seemingly double standard that may exist (brought about by slavery/inequities that was the original double standard) I was reminded of an incident when I was a teacher at Berkeley High in the 80s early 90s. Berkeley, California could rightly claim the right to ground zero for political correctness in the world. Sooo.... I'm doing hallway monitoring duty and a black girl walks by me. Another teacher down the hall (tiny smily Chinese/American woman) asks the girl for a permission slip to be in the hall during class time. Response: something about what are you going to do about it half pint? I follow her and say something like you don't need to speak to her like that/that was rude. She ignores me continuing to walk away as I spoke to her. She turns and walks up the stairway. Near the top I calmly say to her from the bottom step, "Are you racist"? Wow the floodgates opened... High pitched venting, I couldn't understand a word. She still wasn't looking at me. Clearly I had hit a chord. Wish I understood more what that was about. I can only guess....

That would be a difficult number to generate, but it isn't hard to show those who have been sentenced to death who were subsequently exonerated.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

Edited by lannarebirth