What is needed for a yellow tambien baan?

For me was just passport and copies plus wife's ID and book. Had to be a non visa/extension. 20 baht and 40 minutes. However others have said its been almost impossible and cost a lot more so depends where you are.

No problems here in Nong Khai and no charge - that said my wife, of her own volition, donated 200B. She told me that she was impressed with the courtesy and simplicity so I have no problem with this. I must add that the (compulsory) immigration aspect (letter saying I was in Thailand legitimately) was also painless

why do you want one?. It serves no purpose except to get a confirmation of your address. This can be done with a bill with your name and address on!

That isn't correct. You can use it for a lot of things if you are a long-term resident in Thailand, including bank accounts, phone cards (post-paid) and of course driving licences and car/motorcycle ownership documents (although I appreciate that not all offices accept them, and still require certificate of residence from Immigration, but there we are). It is not a necessity, and a lot of people don't bother to do (for which read "most") but can make life easier if living here long-term as I said.

• Like 1

This may be off topic, but if the modearators allow me:

Why a lellow book?

Well I, I was told: I need the book for being able to get a Thai drivers license, along with work permit (?)

I need the book to put my 2 cars and my motocy in my name.

OK. great,

It took me two trips from Loei to Bangkok, getting the paperwork, like copy of passport, translations of passport and Curriculum Vitae, to be gotten from Embassy.

Two trips because they , the white jackets, did not know the procedures. I try to hang in there and not to get angry.

Finally the book was promised to me after 3 visits to the office. the head honcho questions me for one hour and and handwrites 3 pages.

I try to keep peace and not to get angry, To cover up I make jokes and smile a lot.

Finally I get the book, my overall cost about 40.000 baht, a purchase of some plaything offered for sale in the office by one of the employees and a thank you bottle of whiskey for the honcho.

Today (22) my mia goes to the office to ask what the procedures are (3rd time)for putting my 2 vehicles in my name. She takes the yellow book with her.

In the office (transport dept) some white jacket young nitwitt girl has the nerve to ask her where she or me got the yellow book.

Than referred to the boss mia gets the message that only one time I can get the transfer of name. Next year car #2 and the year after that motocy. Bosse's reasoning as I understood is that I might be up to a shady deal , transferring (my) money out of the country.

I hope my little story here will prepare you for possible BS you will have to put up with in order to get something done by at least small offices in small tambons.

There is absolutely no knowledge of procedure and law. And you might ask yourself the question why you need the book.

At any point and time< if I can help it, I refrein from any visit to any government office.

During the days of Songkran going out is the same as playing Russian roulette with 3 bullets, on a regular day only one bullet.

Reading the daily Thai news and postings on TV don't really make my days, except today's posting with Nevershure's photo of baby.

I am out of here for a long holiday in Europe, whether I want to come back (if big daddy allows me) remains to be seen.

Living in a small village, Bueng Khong Long, it was a 20 minute visit to the local government office. They took my passport made a copy, copied my wife's ID and I signed 2-3 papers ,20 minutes had book in hand and out the door.

This may be off topic, but if the modearators allow me:

Why a lellow book?

Well I, I was told: I need the book for being able to get a Thai drivers license, along with work permit (?)

I need the book to put my 2 cars and my motocy in my name.

OK. great,

It took me two trips from Loei to Bangkok, getting the paperwork, like copy of passport, translations of passport and Curriculum Vitae, to be gotten from Embassy.

Two trips because they , the white jackets, did not know the procedures. I try to hang in there and not to get angry.

Finally the book was promised to me after 3 visits to the office. the head honcho questions me for one hour and and handwrites 3 pages.

I try to keep peace and not to get angry, To cover up I make jokes and smile a lot.

Finally I get the book, my overall cost about 40.000 baht, a purchase of some plaything offered for sale in the office by one of the employees and a thank you bottle of whiskey for the honcho.

Today (22) my mia goes to the office to ask what the procedures are (3rd time)for putting my 2 vehicles in my name. She takes the yellow book with her.

In the office (transport dept) some white jacket young nitwitt girl has the nerve to ask her where she or me got the yellow book.

Than referred to the boss mia gets the message that only one time I can get the transfer of name. Next year car #2 and the year after that motocy. Bosse's reasoning as I understood is that I might be up to a shady deal , transferring (my) money out of the country.

I hope my little story here will prepare you for possible BS you will have to put up with in order to get something done by at least small offices in small tambons.

There is absolutely no knowledge of procedure and law. And you might ask yourself the question why you need the book.

At any point and time< if I can help it, I refrein from any visit to any government office.

During the days of Songkran going out is the same as playing Russian roulette with 3 bullets, on a regular day only one bullet.

Reading the daily Thai news and postings on TV don't really make my days, except today's posting with Nevershure's photo of baby.

I am out of here for a long holiday in Europe, whether I want to come back (if big daddy allows me) remains to be seen.

HUMMM, reading your post you speak of People in "White Coats", where I come from folks in White Jackets or coats are usually waiting to tie you down on the bed and inject your crazy ass with a sedative..Are you sure you were at government office and not the mental ward of your local hospital?? Just asking....

In my local Amphur office they wanted a copy of my passport, a letter from the embassy (translated into Thai) saying I am who I say I am. A copy of my marriage certificate and confirmation from the head man that I live at the address I provided. The service is free but of course there are costs involved in getting the letter from the embassy and the translation.

Must have been asked before but anyway: our house is finished and my wife already got the blue tambien baan. What do I need to get my yellow tambien baan?

The Amphur should have issued you a Yellow Tabian Ban when they issued your wife's Blue Book if the house truly is 'ours'.

Must have been asked before but anyway: our house is finished and my wife already got the blue tambien baan. What do I need to get my yellow tambien baan?

The Amphur should have issued you a Yellow Tabian Ban when they issued your wife's Blue Book if the house truly is 'ours'.

No they should not. Indid not know what papers to bring so I asked and got a unclear answer. Thats why I am asking here as well...

Anyway, what is the use of the yellow tambien baan excactly? I have a Thai bank account and drivers licence already. Why get one?

If it is easy to get, then get it, but don't expect it to open doors for you

What is required to get it differs from location to location, so too, what you can do with it

It has been reported here at TV. that Pattaya Land Transport Office will not accept it and want's a residency certificate from Immigration

The documents to get it in Pattaya City are different than say Ban Lamung's Amphur

In answer to OP's last question "why get one" you may be able to use it to register a car purchase but would check with your local LTO and find out what they will accept. The only real reason to get one is if you are considering permanent residency then a Yellow Book can be used to show your residence for that application

why do you want one?. It serves no purpose except to get a confirmation of your address. This can be done with a bill with your name and address on!

That isn't correct. You can use it for a lot of things if you are a long-term resident in Thailand, including bank accounts, phone cards (post-paid) and of course driving licences and car/motorcycle ownership documents (although I appreciate that not all offices accept them, and still require certificate of residence from Immigration, but there we are). It is not a necessity, and a lot of people don't bother to do (for which read "most") but can make life easier if living here long-term as I said.

I have been here 30 years and I have never needed it. Got all the things you mentioned without it and no problem. Having it would have made no difference

I have been here 30 years and I have never needed it. Got all the things you mentioned without it and no problem. Having it would have made no difference

Makes a lot of difference if you have a 5 hour round trip to Immigration.

A Tabian Ban has no expiry date, it's a permanent record of your address.

A Certificate of Residence is only valid for 30 days in most cases.