Reminder: Google Remembers Everything You’ve Ever Searched For

ezzra

I have a plan.

Use the Duck for any dodgy or overly personally revealing searches ... and not Duck for other stuff.

Also daily add some funny non-Duck searches like:

How can I be even more wholesome?

Is it bad to have perfect health like I do?

Edited by Jingthing

Or if you're really paranoid, you can use Tor to anonymize yourself completely ....

Apart from to the NSA of course.

tongue.png

Using Tor certainly gets you on the NSA "list of potentially naughty people".

I've used it so I'm already on that list. Also Tor just hides your IP address. If you leave, say, browser cookies enabled, then they know exactly who you are. At the very least you have to use anonymous browsing in Chrome / Safari. HTTPS is supposed to protect but won't always - there are ways around it too.

Any time you're accessing the internet, you are leaving a huge digital trail - IP address, time of access, cookies, logins, et cetera. Tor takes care of the IP address, nothing else. Snowden said that the NSA has not yet hacked Tor, or HTTPS with larger ciphers - but recent reveals have shown that there are ways to make websites less secure and bypass strongly encrypted https. The NSA is going to make tools to automate all this - so if there is a way in, it'll be available to them at the click of a button.

Tor is supposed to protect against malicious nodes but honestly if somebody has the resources and the access at an NSA level I don't quite see how this could work. Cant the NSA just cast a net of 100 house-owned Tor exit nodes? If they combine the data from all these, couldn't they then trace all the users who were on those nodes? I once met one of the founders of Tor and he told me they were aware of that, and there's defense mechanisms but I'm skeptical.

Tor is a necessary tool to remain anonymous, but by no means sufficient.

The NSA can trace you anywhere via your phone...

Edited by nikster

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I liked this but I don't really like it.

You see I am a VERY CURIOUS "duck" indeed.

I think it's time for Duck Duck Go.

Yes, I kind of already knew it.

1984 on steroids.

Well Google doesn't know about my nefarious searches.

Only Zenmate has those (and it's probably an NSA front anyway <heh>).

Just don't have a Google account - or don't sign in to it when you are using it thumbsup.gif

There's a world of difference between 'can' and 'do'. In theory everything you've searched for can be viewed but its highly unlikely. Even looking at adult sites isn't going to raise an eyebrow as millions do it everyday. Plan some seriously criminal activity on a regular basis then its different. If you remember there have been several serious high-profile crimes in recent years where they were plotted and described on-line, such as the killing of Lee Rigsby, and it wasn't picked up. There is so much data out there that someone without a criminal record who might look at something a bit naughty from to time is nothing of interest to anyone. In theory your privacy no longer exists but in practice its unlikely to be compromised.