Gained Dual Thai Nationality but am not allowed to use Thai Passport to enter Thailand on borders

Hi there!

I just gained Thai Nationality recently as I am half Thai and German and was hoping to avoid applying for Visas by using my Thai Nationality to enter Thailand via border crossings.

However I was turned away at the Aranyaprathet crossing because I didn't have an exit stamp (I used my German passport to exit to avoid overstay). They forced me to get a cambodian visa and then re-enter Thailand again with my German passport so I ended up with another 30 days stamp. Now I need to find another solution that does not involve getting a one year visa or flying, because I have acute fear of flying.

I came up with two options:

1. Go to a border crossing where Thai's can use only their ID to cross for a day (i.e. Ranong or any other borders to Myanmar). Exit with my German passport and return with my Thai ID (no exit stamp needed because its an ID). However we called the border officers there and they say I can't do that.

2. Book a flight from Bangkok go through immigration with my German passport but not take a flight and just go straight back through using my Thai one.

Do you think I should risk going through the border at Ranong or is the idea with booking a flight and doing U-turn after I passed through immigration an option?

Did anyone with the same problem done this kind of thing before?

Thanks for your help!

I found some cheap tickets to Vietnam for 1400 THB so I will try that. In case I get asked why I don't have an exit stamp in my Thai Passport what should I tell them? Is it possible to ask them to stamp out both passports?

Edited by alduff

As long as leave the country enter another one and return you can do it from any airport or to any country.

You clear immigration using your German passport, enter/depart the other country with either passport (Thai if visa needed for German passport and not for Thai) then enter Thailand with your Thai passport.

As long as leave the country enter another one and return you can do it from any airport or to any country.

You clear immigration using your German passport, enter/depart the other country with either passport (Thai if visa needed for German passport and not for Thai) then enter Thailand with you Thai passport.

Thanks Ubonjoe,

The problem is that I don't intend to take the flight, just turn around when I'm still in the Thai Airport and present my Thai Passport on the way out, because I want to avoid flying at all costs.

You clear immigration using your German passport, enter/depart the other country with either passport (Thai if visa needed for German passport and not for Thai) then enter Thailand with you Thai passport.

Thanks Ubonjoe,

The problem is that I don't intend to take the flight, just turn around when I'm still in the Thai Airport and present my Thai Passport on the way out, because I want to avoid flying at all costs.

Many have tried, few have succeeded.

Visa runs via the international side of the airport are illegal and you will get caught out when they ask you for your arriving flight boarding card (which they will do if the suspect something is amiss).

To swap passports you will have to fly somewhere.

I find this a bit odd, don't some farang just go out with a English passport and come right back in with Australian or whatever because they have too many tourists stamps in one book?

Also how did you get form Germany to Thailand if not by air?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Many have tried, few have succeeded.

Visa runs via the international side of the airport are illegal and you will get caught out when they ask you for your arriving flight boarding card (which they will do if the suspect something is amiss).

To swap passports you will have to fly somewhere.

Couldn't I just say that I missed the flight or have a panic attack because I am afraid of flying? Would they let me go back through the arrival area?

I find this a bit odd, don't some farang just go out with a English passport and come right back in with Australian or whatever because they have too many tourists stamps in one book?

Also how did you get form Germany to Thailand if not by air?

Trains, buses and boats :) Just takes bit longer

It is not possible to swap passports at a land crossing, both sides want to see the exit stamp from the other country (as our OP discovered).

It's possible to do the cruise idea, or private yacht, or possibly ferry to another country if you don't want to fly.

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe,

You'll physically have to go somewhere. You won't be let out without a boarding pass.

You won't be let in without one either. It is required.

Couldn't I just say that I missed the flight or have a panic attack because I am afraid of flying? Would they let me go back through the arrival area?

Immigration have heard them all, they will simply stamp you back in (in the passport you used to leave) with the same date as you had before you tried the illegal move.

Friendly warning. If you insist on continuing discussing illegal activities then this thread will get closed.

• Like 1

It is not possible to swap passports at a land crossing, both sides want to see the exit stamp from the other country (as our OP discovered).

It's possible to do the cruise idea, or private yacht, or possibly ferry to another country if you don't want to fly.

Thats why I thought about Ranong or Koh Lipeh because I could use boats from there.

Immigration have heard them all, they will simply stamp you back in (in the passport you used to leave) with the same date as you had before you tried the illegal move.

Friendly warning. If you insist on continuing discussing illegal activities then this thread will get closed.

Sorry I didn't know this would be illegal. Thanks for the heads up!

On another note. If I do get myself to fly to Vietnam (with heavy dose of valium) exit Thailand with my German passport, arrive in Vietnam with my Thai Passport and then travel overland back to Thailand all using my Thai Passport, would they let me in at the Thai border?

On another note. If I do get myself to fly to Vietnam (with heavy dose of valium) exit Thailand with my German passport, arrive in Vietnam with my Thai Passport and then travel overland back to Thailand all using my Thai Passport, would they let me in at the Thai border?

suggest you fly just for the first time. BKK to PP is less than an hours hop.

That would work, no problem but seems a bit of a trek, why not fly to Laos, Malaysia or Cambodia?

Can Thais enter Vietnam visa-free??

That would work, no problem but seems a bit of a trek, why not fly to Laos, Malaysia or Cambodia?

Yeah Cambodia would be fine too. In that case I couldn't I just go to Satun and take a ferry to Malaysia. Leave Thailand with German Passport get my Thai Passport stamped in Malaysia and then return to Thailand with my Thai Passport (Even without Exit stamp? This seems too easy to be true)

About Vietnam Visa: Thais don't need a visa and can stay up to 30 days.

Edited by alduff

Yeah Cambodia would be fine too. In that case I couldn't I just go to Satun and take a ferry to Malaysia. Leave Thailand with German Passport get my Thai Passport stamped in Malaysia and then return to Thailand with my Thai Passport (Even without Exit stamp? This seems too easy to be true)

The only sure way of avoiding grumpy IO's upon your return to Thailand, I think, would be to proceed through automatic gates as advised in post #2. AFAIK these are only available at airports, not land borders or seaports.

Edited by OJAS

The only sure way of avoiding grumpy IO's upon your return to Thailand, I think, would be to proceed through automatic gates as advised in post #2. AFAIK these are only available at airports, not land borders or seaports.

Maybe I'll just take the risk of trying the option via Ranong. Because I could leave on my German passport take a boat to Myanmar and show my Thai ID on the way back. Does anyone know the procedure there for Thai Nationals? Do they scan the Thai ID and issue a border pass or can I just show them my ID and be let back in? Sorry for all the questions but this a very tricky and complicated situation.

Edited by alduff

Ranong immigration is strict They may not even allow you to leave the country since you are already on a visa exempt entry.

How are your Thai language skills? You might be able to get away with a passport swap at a small and less busy crossing where you could talk to Thai immigration about what you need to do before doing it. There have been a few Thai's that have been able to do a swap after entering on the wrong passport.

Your choice of Aran was not a good place to try. Perhaps Ban Laem or Palin. Or even up here for a crossing to Laos at Chong Mek.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ranong immigration is strict They may not even allow you to leave the country since you are already on a visa exempt entry.

How are your Thai language skills? You might be able to get away with a passport swap at a small and less busy crossing where you could talk to Thai immigration about what you need to do before doing it. There have been a few Thai's that have been able to do a swap after entering on the wrong passport.

Your choice of Aran was not a good place to try. Perhaps Ban Laem or Palin. Or even up here for a crossing to Laos at Chong Mek.

Your only option is to fly out on the German passport to a neighboring country and return on the Thai passport.

Thanks again for all the advice given! I might just fork out the 1900 baht for a one year visa based on my Thai nationality, as some have mentioned in another post I found. My only worry is that I won't be allowed to work on it because I'm in Thailand as a German citizen. When I find some time I will try a smaller land crossing as Ubonjoe suggested. My Thai is very good so I should be able to convince them or even ask if they can stamp out both passports at the crossing. I'll go to immigration at Chaeng Wattana tomorrow and see what they say.

A Thai cannot be denied entry into Thailand, so you should be allowed to leave on the German passport and return on the Thai one but will probably need to hold your ground and be prepared to have a superior officer getting involved and maybe call the immigration call center for help. There are no certainties that it will work.

Doubt if Cheang watana will correct the situation, but you can complain that you were refused entry as a Thai national.

You do not need a work permit even when entering on your German passport, you are still a Thai national. The labour department is a different branch of government and only as to immigration rules are you considered a German, not with regards to labour rules.

• Like 1

Ho Chi Minh City is much closer to Bangkok than Malaysia is. One hour vs. 2 hours flying time. BUT flying to Phnom Penh or even Siem Reap would be even closer.

Yep the officials at smaller crossings like Tha Li/Kaenthao, Phu Doo etc. are quite friendly. Mae Sot/Myawady the Thai officials are hit and miss, some very friendly others not so. Try the smaller Thai-Lao crossings I'd say. Always a nice bunch of officials there.

Not sure how you would be able get back to arrival immigration from the departure side of the airport. Even if you were able to do it and were caught you would be in big trouble.

Book a flight. Exit at swampy. Then change your mind. You will be sent through immigration where you can use the automated gates.

Should work.