What are your lives like in Thailand?

DavidSL

Fair point and right with some as I used to have a mate who came here and fell in love every five minutes but was more unhappy when they left him for another, though I think the majority go there to be laid.

I think it depends who you hang out with. Most of the expats I know here came for reasons other than the sex trade.

Moved to Thailand 2008 after being a regular visitor for 10 years. Have been happily married for 6 years, have 2 beautiful kids, nice big house in BKK burbs that I couldn't afford in Oz.

Life was good in Brisbane, but I needed a new adventure. This is it and I love it. Still work in Oz on a FIFO roster so spend 1 week every month at home + the months I sometimes have to wait between contracts.

I was happy enough living in Oz but at 48 yo and twice divorced (and pillaged) a new start in a new place looked good. Best move I ever made. I now speak reasonable Thai, have a decent bunch of inlaws and expat mates all over the country who are always good for a few beers and a laugh.

Similar, perhaps to my old life, but the small things make it better. The genuine warmth you feel from the local shopkeeps when you speak to them in their language, the same from the locals who want to practice their english on you. The smiles and affection for my little ones wherever we go.

And the food! Seriously, one of the main reasons for moving to LOS. Delicious, fresh and cheap! What's not to like?! The wife is an excellent cook as well and on the odd occasion I feel like some farang food, if she doesn't feel like cooking it we have plenty of local options (even though we don't live in a tourist area)

So to sum up, life is good in Thailand!

• Like 1

Let's not get carried away here guys, Thailand is only good for what it is.

Take the easy girls out of Thailand and you wouldn't want to touch it.

They wouldn't want to touch you too if you didn't have money.

You can also get nice beaches in other countries and not 6000 miles away!

Have a nice day Handsome Man!

Speak for yourself. Not all of us came here for the girls.

Seems like those who came here because they actually liked the place tend to be happier than those who just wanted to get laid.

Fair point and right with some as I used to have a mate who came here and fell in love every five minutes but was more unhappy when they left him for another, though I think the majority go there to be laid.

For many guys who work overseas on a rotation, a little 2 week stop over in Thailand on their way home for R&R is a nice break from working 12 hrs 7 days /wk. A place where rooms are inexpensive, nightlife is awesome, beaches aren't fantastic but very laid back. What's not to like. The available ladies are a big plus. You want to label these guys sex-pats then so be it. Very few single guys who go out in pattaya or similiar places and aren't smitten with the ladies are rare I'd have to say. Does this means all the guys who get laid in Thailand are sexpats?

The single guy who comes to Thailand for R&R and never sets foot in a GoGo bar ot a beer bar is the exception.

For some, you come to Thailand with a lucrative job awaiting here and that is fantastic. You came to Thailand for a job and thats great. Some arrive with your wives from your home country. But, why look down upon the rest. Many different reasons for settling in Thailand. Some of us come to appreciate the laid back lifestyle, not living in a daily rat race. The beaches in the USA are probably nicer than some I've enjoyed in Thailand. But it's just a much different, more laid back deal here in Thailand.

Don't try to catogorize all foreigners.

• Like 2

Hey you! - First, as an obvious observation: coming to Thailand 2-3 weeks on holiday is totally different than living here; infact, I have been on holiday in India, Yeman, Iran, Kenya and they all were great places for a holiday; for I like to explore the "off the track" places and learn about cultures. So of course I found Thailand also a great place for holiday. I have lived/worked in five other countries and I would say Thailand is my favorite so far. You have the best of both worlds: Thai and Western ... you can walk down the street and get freshly sliced mango for 15-20 baht or walk into a grocery store and buy Washington apples flown in from the USA. You can go to your GAP store at Central and spend 1400 baht on a shirt or go to a night market and spend 250 baht on a shirt. This country is not a "hardship post" at all; infact, it is a "goodship post" because of being able to submerge yourself into the Thai culture (get out of the big cities of course) ; yet, have the modern conveniences.

Depends on your age if you can adapt to this country if you wanted to live here. But!!!!!! (There is always a but) living here you realize the Thai smile isn't always authentic, the tourist board would like you to think it is but a lot of it is to save face/ not to show anger or embarassment. Anger? Yes -watch out, once a fellow from Isaan blows his stack he most likely won't scream obsentities at you (as a Westerner would) he'll pick up his socket wrench or gun and smack the daylights out of you (remember,you come back to life according to Budhism). Maintenance or safety is not in most Thai's thinking. Following rules- they're made to be broken or ignored. Like any country, living in it is 200% different than visiting it. I have worked here for more than 9 years so I now have a realistic idea of what frustrations I would encounter if I ever chose to retire here. What would be the drawing card would be the laid-back atmosphere I would find myself in; the non competitive feeling I always had when I go back to my materialistic Western country; and the sincerity of most Thai people. (and I hate cold winters back home)

• Like 1

I've been here 16 years. Nine years in Bangkok and the rest in Phrae....in Oz I couldn't have 11 dogs, 2 bufalo, mobs of fish, turkeys (ready for the table if anyone is interested?), geese and ducks. my lady and I have a couple of rai for bufalo food and we grow a little rice (if we feel like it!) my little kubota tractor runs like a charm, beer is cheap and I go out to a bar with my matesw once a week with the blessings of the lady!

The weather is exactly like northern Oz so I can't complain too much!

It's not Vietnam (my home of choice) but it's awfully close. I'll be happy to stay here until I die. thumbsup.gifwai.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's hot, boring, dirty, too many insects and corrupt. Where did that bloke get the Indian for 150 baht?

Punjabi Tadka - 2nd Road close to Sun City Hotel - Central Pattaya

Oh pity, I'd rather crap myself then go there

I would have thought something like "thanks for that" would have been a bit better than such an inane response.

you might have thought that but i laughed pretty hard and appreciated it...im still laughing..

I travel quite a lot.I spend about 6 months A year in Thailand.If I had to live on A budget I doubt I would be happy.But the 6 months

That I'm in Thailand I go thru about A million baht.I do have to say I have A good time.

• Like 1

The dream..........Thought we'd get a piece of land (15) rai plant pineapples, build a house etc and have a nice big garden with a couple of staff to take care of it all whilst we went exploring the region....................... Reality

Couldnt get and keep staff, locals wouldnt help with the pineapple crop or only for picking, builders were all crap ended up doing all the work alone cant make any plans to go anywhere as have to water trees feed fish and weed constantly, too hot to work after 10am so do 5.30 to 10 then 4 till 7pm, staff leave at the drop of the hat and most are pretty clueless even for watering weeding.

Wife lives in Bkk I live down South as she works 24/7....I set her up in business and created a monster, shes goes at it like a crazy woman earns a huge amount but has no interest in it at all.

ts very different from how I thought it would turn out almost 10 years ago and seems very different from what I keep reading about money grabbing Thai women....................shes the total opposite its like a money making machine.

When I get staff its good but the real problem is they just come and go, could be days could be 1-2 months, best ones lasted 6 months most 1-3 months........2 good staff would make it a very nice lifestyle, currently its a drag.

The dream..........Thought we'd get a piece of land (15) rai plant pineapples, build a house etc and have a nice big garden with a couple of staff to take care of it all whilst we went exploring the region....................... Reality

Couldnt get and keep staff, locals wouldnt help with the pineapple crop or only for picking, builders were all crap ended up doing all the work alone cant make any plans to go anywhere as have to water trees feed fish and weed constantly, too hot to work after 10am so do 5.30 to 10 then 4 till 7pm, staff leave at the drop of the hat and most are pretty clueless even for watering weeding.

Wife lives in Bkk I live down South as she works 24/7....I set her up in business and created a monster, shes goes at it like a crazy woman earns a huge amount but has no interest in it at all.

ts very different from how I thought it would turn out almost 10 years ago and seems very different from what I keep reading about money grabbing Thai women....................shes the total opposite its like a money making machine.

When I get staff its good but the real problem is they just come and go, could be days could be 1-2 months, best ones lasted 6 months most 1-3 months........2 good staff would make it a very nice lifestyle, currently its a drag.

You need to read this thread and hire a couple of the guys to give you a course. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/819351-how-do-many-thais-deal-with-constructive-criticism-advice-and-instructions/

You think it's the staff's problem. In reality it is you. My wife has had the same job for 7 years and her staff is almost the same also. Our last maid and houseman lasted 4 years. The ladies who work at the pub on both shifts have lasted 3 years before much change.

Brought an old thai flame over from udon with me to phuket for a holiday and some fun. Waited in bangkok for her for a couple of days just cleaned up my room and did the usual stuff got some new tv series ond watched them. She stayed another couple of days with her family and i flew to phuket by myself. Went out partying with some bangla road ladies, smoked some sheeshas watched some live music drinking and dancing and took one back to the hotel, we went touring around the beaches on her motorclycle and parted before my lady arrived. We were not exclusive. She asked if i stayed alone the previous night and i said no. While dissapointed i didnt wait for her, she wasnt angry. We went around by ourselves enjoying the sights the beach and hotel and seafood. In the jaccuzi that afternoon over a few drinks she told me i should call the girl from the other night so we could play with her. Afterwards they got ready and we went out and partied in similar style to my first evening. I remember being pulled onstage at some gogo bar and getting a sexy show by a lady a bit too tall to be a thai lady. I slept in a massive bed with two beautiful women of their own occord. I didnt neec to barfine the first girl as she had already finished work. The other women is an old friend and has her own money. We continued this crazy love triangle for 5 days eating out together shopping sleeping swimming. Only thailand can be this crazy. My life in bangkok is ordiary, but i feel at home and im surprised to live in such a big city and almost daily run into an old friend on the bts or just in starbucks or big c. I love it and i miss the place when i go.

My daily wash, rinse and repeat routine:

-I wake up at around 10-11am.

-I go out and have lunch. Sometimes doing the occasional shopping once a week.

-I come back home and work till 8pm.

-Come 8pm I crack open the beer and either: Watch movies/TV shows, browse the internet, or play video games.

-Before the clock strikes midnight I'm already tucked in bed, ready for the next day.

Occasionally I meet with my friends (mostly for lunch), go to the cinema (but only for worthwhile movies), have business meetings, hospital appointments, or feel like browsing the streets of Bangkok. On very rare occasions I go SCUBA diving or visit countries within 2 hours flight distance (I can't stand being enclosed in a sardine can for longer than that).