What are your lives like in Thailand?

DavidSL

Hey all,

I'm back in Thailand for a holiday after nearly 2 years of leaving. I was working here as a teacher for 3 years and loved every minute of my life here but started to miss my family and friends, as well as my Country. I originally came here for a wedding, and the groom had lived here for 8 years, and I pretty much took over his job as he moved home (on his recommendation). My life here was simple, laid back and pretty calm, really. I had regular weekends away, went out every night for dinner, and enjoyed the simple life that suited me perfectly. I was always criticised on this by the groom who insisted I should be going crazy in the big bad city, getting drunk and having wild nights out, but that's never been me, and Thailand has always suited me fine for the laid back side of life.

But really I wanted to get a feel for what everyone's lives are like here? Have you managed to forge a 'normal' routine, or are you enjoying the more wild side of a Country with a lot of freedom?

Coming back for a holiday I can't help but think back to my happy life here!

• Like 1

Everyone i guess has seen it done it got the t shirt etc, now it's back to the routine of not worrying about setting the alarm or ironing my shirt for the day ahead, come and go as i please except for i trust you not (the little lady) who i might add knew i was nearly out of cigs this am was thoughtful enough to ask a lady to fetch some and bring to my room including the fresh laundry, sigh oh well another day i cannot be trusted to fetch my own cigs and grab a few beers.

But life is wonderful for me.

Two spoiled little dogs and a partner as free as them (I trust him 100%, after more then 8 years)are the only ones who brings some dayregulation. For the rest I do what I want, no time shedule ... Learn a lot from the Thai people he.

If you want to live here on Western type ... feel PITY for you (maybe you can in the big city).

• Like 1

When the earth was created, the creators have destined Thailand as a retirement paradise for long-noses, as long as the funds come rolling in from overseas in form of hard currency.

Long-noses (employed by an European/US company, on a long term contract, fine).

All others should stay home, unless they have an uncontrollable urge to work for "peanuts". A live in Paradise can not be financed by "Peanuts". Unfortunately.

Cheers..

When the earth was created, the creators have destined Thailand as a retirement paradise for long-noses, as long as the funds come rolling in from overseas in form of hard currency.

All others should stay home, unless they have an uncontrollable urge to work for "peanuts". A live in Paradise can not be financed by "Peanuts". Unfortunately.

Cheers..

All others should stay home? Why? People

can live here perfectly comfortably on 30K

a month. OK so I admit I couldn't in a million

years but everyone's different and if someone

can, they ought to give it a shot.

Nothing more ridiculous than people who've

moved to Thailand to make their incomes

stretch further looking down on others as if

they've suddenly become wealthy.

• Like 2

Cheers..

Were you born that way, or did you just work hard at it ?

• Like 2

Umm, Lets just think...ummm, shitty britain or Thailand with babes...umm, shitty Britain, or Thailand with beautiful girls and food, and babes....britain working, or doing what the fck i want in Thailand. Oh i don't know, so hard....ok, Thailand, there i said it.

Yep, life's pretty good here, got everything i need here, even PG tips tea bags now, don't take much to make me happy!!

• Like 2

My life here was simple, laid back and pretty calm, really. I had regular weekends away, went out every night for dinner, and enjoyed the simple life that suited me perfectly.

Pretty much like that, really. Except sometimes I cook dinner.

My day

homemade bread from last night - fried egg, hash brown and bacon - HP of course

breakfast.jpg

then a young lady from the internet came to visit me this afternoon

girl.jpg

and then I went out for dinner and had this veg thali which was 150b

thali.jpg

think i'll go for a swim now and also the gym before going out for a few beers... this is a typical day

• Like 2

I have a terrible life here, my friend.

Women are after my body and my money, never leave me alone.

Can't even go for a walk, as ladyboys are grabbing my arse.

Can't find the Singha big bottles any more.

People greet me with a hideous smile on their faces and put their hands together near their face.........don't know why.

Can't even wear my shoes in my own house.

Not able to find a medium rare steak to enjoy.

My ring burns when I go to the toilet after I scofe all that somtam.

I can't wipe myself with proper toilet paper but have to use this horrible bum gun.

Generally, I've got a miserable life here, but being a kind of masochist, I enjoy every moment of it.

Chill and relax man, but don't chillax, that would be too much.

Yes, I do have the "Been there, done that" t-shirt. During the first 3 years I experienced the "wild" side of Bangkok: Clubbing, dating, scams, drugs, prostitutes, crime etc. But big cities come with big problems and Bangkok is no exception. Once you learn how to keep to yourself and stay out of trouble, Thailand can be a wonderful place to settle down.

Some people sell everything to come here...and then buy everything here.

After a few years, they start thinking about selling everything here and going back.

Then, when they realize what they have come back to, they start missing things in Thailand.

Reality is, for me, my income is pretty good for living a great life here..although a bit lonely.

My income is not enough, however, to live at the same level back home. (I have no back home..really)

I would have to pick a location out of one of the fifty states in the USA and show up with a backpack,

leaving a middle class life here. My wife would not be impressed.

However, in two years, I receive my social securtiy and then I can do either place, or both

(6 months on and 6 months off).

I am not overly attached to Thailand, but there is nothing remotely similar in the USA...

No credit there for two years....(have to rebuild credit from scratch). Wife would earn more there.

Edited by slipperylobster

I love my life in Thailand.

1) Housing is cheap...love it

2) Food is cheap and very good...love it.

3) I have more of a social life here than I ever had in the States. Always something to do or not to do if you don't want to.

4) I have a charming girlfriend who actually saves me money when we are out and about ! And she has her own career !

5) I hate the whole Visa process...but part of the deal.

6) I have also lived in Malaysia which I liked but once I came back here I decided Malaysia could not compare in food, opportunities to meet members of the opposite sex, cultural atmosphere, ect.

In short, not a perfect place by any means, but a great place to settle into

• Like 2