How do many Thais deal with constructive criticism, advice and instructions?

I’ve been asked to take control of a local office of 23 Thais for a period of 6 month, extendable contract if I wish. To retrain, advise, and instruct. For a US company.

Having not had the pleasure of managing Thais that need to be retrained and change their work ethic, how do many Thais deal with constructive criticism, advice and instruction?

Thanks in advance.

Oh my, your in for an education.

Sabi sabi, better look that up, and it normally works one way, expect an exodus which might be to your benefit and start from scratch but hey there might be a few stayers in your group.

• Like 2

17 years experience of working with Thai people (male and female) having all levels of education between labourer and professional engineer (my duties including a significant amount of training and education for the people working for me)....

My experience.... I have only on four occasions met Thai people who responded negatively to constructive criticism.

On the whole I have found Thai people to be receptive to honest and fair criticism and very receptive to new ideas where an effort is made to explain/demonstrate the idea being put over.

I frequently receive emails from ex Thai colleagues asking for advice which seems always to be well received.

My advice to the OP, go in with the idea that 'respect is where we all start from and is something we loose by our own deeds, not something we earn' and apply that to your staff, and most importantly apply it to yourself.

From a basis of mutual respect, the transfer of ideas, working requirements and practices will be easy.

If you knew "lose" and "loose" were different words and when to use which, your post would have greater credibility.

(Unless English is not your first language in which case I apologize)

• Like 2

Find some common ground. Talk about things that you both understand. I noticed some of your topics posted recently you could surely use those to build a rapport with the staff.

Like........

Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them.

Bumgun Self-Enema everyday. Long term effects.

Are we not valued as people here?

What the crud is this? For months now the female half have been sporting big bushy eyebrows as some sort of fashion trend.

• Like 1

)....

My experience.... I have only on four occasions met Thai people who responded negatively to constructive criticism.

On the whole I have found Thai people to be receptive to honest and fair criticism and very receptive to new ideas where an effort is made to explain/demonstrate the idea being put over.

Good for you, but I think most people have a rather different experience.

make everything a joke and fun?

well not always but certainly often

rather than the hostile compliment try the friendly criticism?

just remember saving face is a public thing

Edited by kaorop

Find some common ground. Talk about things that you both understand. I noticed some of your topics posted recently you could surely use those to build a rapport with the staff.

Like........

Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them.

Bumgun Self-Enema everyday. Long term effects.

Are we not valued as people here?

What the crud is this? For months now the female half have been sporting big bushy eyebrows as some sort of fashion trend.

Funny that...

I smell a troll.

Before moving here for good in 2010, I visited BK for 2 weeks, and I met the manager of a very big and well know international real estate company. My kind of business. He was from the UK. I am from the US.

Talking about training and results, because the company was not doing well in sales, he asks me to meet his sales staff of 20 people, to test them in some way, and give to him my opinion. At the end of 2 sessions, I told him that, if I was hired to do the training, I will have to start firing most of them.

I was not interested in work anyway, but I called the manager a week later.

He already renounced to his position.

If you like challenges, we prepared for a big one.

Good luck.

Edited by umbanda

Before moving here for good in 2010, I visited BK for 2 weeks, and I met the manager of a very big and well know international real estate company. My kind of business. He was from the UK. I am from the US.

Talking about training and results, because the company was not doing well in sales, he asks me to meet his sales staff of 20 people, to test them in some way, and give to him my opinion. At the end of 2 sessions, I told him that, if I was hired to do the training, I will have to start firing most of them.

I was not interested in work anyway, but I called the manager a week later.

He already renounced to his position.

If you like challenges, we prepared for a big one.

Good luck.

Does "renounced to his position" mean he quit? Ah those Americans sure talk funny.

• Like 1

I've worked with Thais who were willing to listen, then they generally carried on as normal. Before you can re-train anyone they need to believe in your ability.

The Thais referred to above were very good at their job and preferred to do it their way..and rightfully so.

• Like 1