payment of 115 bht in total for tolls from fashion island to superrich

Howitzer

so i took one taxi from fashion island to superrich near central world region which is near siam BTS station. I had earlier arrived from the same place but didn't want to use the highway and it took like 1 hour so i thought no way do i want to stay so long inside a cab and requested the highway in total the taxi went through 3 toll stations. First charge was 40, 2nd one was 25 and the last one was 50.

I didn't record down where the toll stations were located but i have a record of the route the driver took. I wondered if he purposely brought me through a few more tolls to get me to pay more. The time was around 3:40 pm last sunday.

From google map.

The cab started off into ram intra road then made a right into ram inthra nawamin road. Goes straight down and now the road is called thanon ratchada ram intra. It's at a junction at prasert manukitch road turns right and turns left this is where the highway is located and i believe where the first toll booth is located i pay 40 at this toll. I do not recall where the other 2 booths are located. If you check the map it's all highway from here. It turns into sirat expressway i think which is somewat parallel to phetchaburi road then moves towards makkansan railyway station before moving southwards and exits at the expressway near ploenchit bts station. Take note that i have at this point already paid 25 bht and 50 bht at 2 booths before travelling on ploenchit road.

The dumb driver doesn't know where central world is located and thinks we have passed by it. I know where it is and see the fare approaching 200 and know that traffic at that area is a killer so i think i stopped him around where chit lom bts was located and walked the rest of the way,

My question is was the payment in tolls correct or did he take a longer route? Was i correct in stopping around chit lom bts area or should i have gotten him to turn right and drive right up to the super rich area.

You seemed to have asked for toll road travel and got it. They do cost - especially when you have to use more than one segment. It is also normally a longer route so the taxi does make more money in fare more quickly so they do not have to worry about any kick-back. Yes it probably was a longer route but by your direction.

As for Central World you ware talking a huge area of 500 stores and hotel so expect he may not have known where you wanted to get out (Superich is not in Central World AFAIK) - although have not been in Gaysorn area for many years.

You seemed to have asked for toll road travel and got it. They do cost - especially when you have to use more than one segment. It is also normally a longer route so the taxi does make more money in fare more quickly so they do not have to worry about any kick-back. Yes it probably was a longer route but by your direction.

As for Central World you ware talking a huge area of 500 stores and hotel so expect he may not have known where you wanted to get out (Superich is not in Central World AFAIK) - although have not been in Gaysorn area for many years.

so what route would have been the fastest to get from fashion island to super rich?

oh brother .. give the taxi driver benefit of doubt.. they don't get kickback from toll.

if you been a taxi driver.. u will understand.. ..taking a longer route is more tiring then getting some tips from you...

normally if travel by highways.. some area might be faster but normally abit longer route..

you save some time... time is money.. man yourself more happy rather then stuck in the jam..

just addition 100baht to buy this happiness... why bother to think for so many day and get it affect u...

I think superrich might be getting more then a 100baht commission for the amount yo change which I believe u changed a lot... if not no point to go all the way from future park..!! it is quite a distance.. !!

I strongerly agree with southern star on the comment.. faster route does not mean shorter distance ..:)

The taxi took you on the longer but faster route. If he took the shorter route you would have missed the toll gates but it would have taken +- 1 hour longer.

...is the correct answer.

When I was coming inbound from Suvarnabhumi and already in heavy mid-morning gridlock on the elevated, I paid attention to the traffic advice on my Nuvi, took an exit ended up heading back the way I came... or maybe it was Ram Inthra - At Narong (pay toll again anyway) then another turnoff and loop-the-loop that eventually brought me in via Phatthanakan (I think) and Soi 66. I got to my arse-end of Sukhumvit destination in around 35 - 40 minutes versus probably 1+ hour if I had stayed up top. I saved that route to the Garmin for future time-saving.

If it had only been 70 baht in tolls you would have been happy? So basically it has been eating away at your guts for a few days for 45 baht. I know you will say its the principle but it is only just over 1 dollar after all said and done. And you did save one hour of your time. Surely that has to be worth it. One extra hour walking around and air conditioned shopping centre looking at lil princesses. Worth every baht I say. thumbsup.gif

Edited by callaway

With the assumption that the correct tolls were paid, the toll payment wouldn't be an enrichment element for the driver. So it would only be the issue of time over distance.

Given what I suspect the math would be when you consider the crossover speed (the point where the time charge and distance charge are equal) if you calculated it, the driver probably did you both a favor.

However the hard part to assign a value is the value of your time..

The taxi took you on the longer but faster route. If he took the shorter route you would have missed the toll gates but it would have taken +- 1 hour longer.

We do that route regularly, including today. I would agree with Southernstar's comments. The tollway is usually much faster. If you didn't take this way you'd be 1 - 2 hours longer depending on how bad the traffic was.

Those toll fees are correct.

Of course if the purpose of the journey was to visit Superrich to change money, then surely you would have saved a lot of time, money and apparently aggravation by visiting the Superrich branch next to Thai Airways on Vib-Rangsit road?? Same end of town as Fashion Island and easier journey and tolls not required....

Of course if the purpose of the journey was to visit Superrich to change money, then surely you would have saved a lot of time, money and apparently aggravation by visiting the Superrich branch next to Thai Airways on Vib-Rangsit road?? Same end of town as Fashion Island and easier journey and tolls not required....

Don't know where that is located. Only know super rich and money changers at that part of bkk.

Don't know where that is located. Only know super rich and money changers at that part of bkk.

Superrich branches at Central Lad Prao, and behind Thai Airways office on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

Ever hear of Google, Bing, etc.? Anyway, as not unusual, the Op asks for something, then bitches when he gets it.

Edited by beechguy