Koh Tao named Asia's No 1 island

webfact

I have been on 9. Bora Bora, French Polynesia.

I can say this island is way more beautiful than any Koh Rupt in Thailand.

It is also at least 20x as expensive than any Koh Rupt. They just don't want those Quality Tourists (cheap Charlies loaded with tatoes) that visit Thailand.

Bora Bora, French Polynesia is 1000x cleaner than any Koh Rupt here in Thailand where you swim in plastic, human waste, fisherman's nets or plain sewer water.

Beaches without any dirt and well maintained.

Edited by FredNL
  • Like 2

I'm presuming that these favourable reviews are as bent as those for restaurants and bars unless the reviewer has ethics.

A previous landlord of mine was friendly with someone who did reports on bars and restaurants and he had a couple of ploys to ensure he got the best of service at no cost such as identifying himself as soon as he entered the premises so everything was just so and no bill presented or identifying himself after spending little or nothing then identifying himself as he paid the bill which was usually withdrawn.

He would then say his review was not too favourable but he would hold off submitting for publication and visit again to give the establishment a chance to prove themselves. Naturally the staff spotted him next time at a 100 yards and no prizes for guessing the treatment he received and again no bill.

He eventually lost his job but he'd done very well out of it.

Just do a quick google search on World's best islands; you'll find a lot of links and none of them (except trip advisor) even mention Koh Tao or any other island in Thailand come to that, even if you drill down a bit to best islands in Asia etc. Santorini is consistently number 1 though then the usual suspects, a few of the Hawaiin islands, Bora-Bora, Fiji etc. Koh Toa might the World's number 1 island to go and get murdered though...

• Like 1

Totally laughable reporting where the TBS reporter thinks that the worldwide winning island is in Turkey whereas it is actually in the Turks and Caicos, in the Caribbean. Then again, we already know the Thai take on world geography.

If some Thai (b!tch) asks me where I am from, I always answer: "I am Mickey and I am from Disneyland"!

"Oh, how nice Disneyland". The one that have a bit more brains ask me where Disneyland is... My answer: "Not so far from Paris".

"Oh, how nice Paris"!

Can you bribe Tripadvisor to get a better ranking?

Everything is available for a price. Even me. I gave up believing government figures/quotes a long time ago. I dun seen de light. I have seen so much government bullshit over my 77 years my eyes are turning brown I think I am up a quart/litre of the brown stuff.

I think the murders of 2 Brits on Koh Tao have been blown way out if proportion.

2 murders, 1 young girl's death from natural causes {possibly drugs}, and a French guy possibly suicide, in my mind does not make Koh Tao the "Death Island" the "Murder capitol of Thailand" or "the place one goes to if they have a death wish."

It is still a beautiful place to visit.

Name any place in the world and there will be crime stats that will show it to be dangerous.

People visiting Thailand need to be more concerned with wearing their helmets on motorcycles than with being murdered.

If you are happy to hang out with murderers and rapists, your mind is a place I don't want to be looking into.

And there you go, blowing it all out of proportion.

Where do you live, where do you come from? Let's look at the stats from there.

I realize you never let any opportunity to malign Thais and Thailand pass you by, but one horrible incident doesn't make for an island full of murderers and rapists.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 1

Trip Advisor seems to base its ratings of a place simply on how many people rate individual venues in an area. I don't think it is some kind of corruption, where they are taking fees or something, it is just simply their crummy reality distorting criteria which yields the result of Ko Tao being the best island on earth to visit or whatever it is.

I got what I thought was a pretty strange notice from Trip Advisor a month ago or so. I have reviewed a few restaurants and hotels in Bangkok about 6 or 7, up in Isaan about 2 or 3 and Bali about 2 or 3. Seems that because I posted the most reviews on Bangkok, I was sent an automatic email thanking me for helping make Bangkok one of the top rated places, nothing said about the other places where I went to hotels, restaurants that impressed me much more. Never mind that none of my Bangkok reviews were particularly full of praise, a few three stars and the rest two stars. In my own case, I only review places that I know well and have had at least 2-3 chances to see how a place does. So, I just happen to know and be in Bangkok more, it doesn't mean that I rate Bangkok particularly highly, and in fact to be honest, recently I have grown to detest the place and only go there because I have to sometimes. I would imagine many tourists are in the same boat.

In addition, you are rating individual venues, not the place as a whole, there's a whole world of difference between the two. Bangkok might be, in my opinion, for the most part, a shopping mall infested, infrasctructurally challenged, polluted poo hole full of tired, hot, stressed, grumpy, wannabe snooty people who don't know anything and don't want to, thank you. But, if there happens to be some places to go that offers relief from all that, and if I want to express my appreciation to the few in Bangkok who try and do an honest and good business and help others escape the nastiness, poor value, and rip off that is Bangkok and post 6 or 7 reveiws, according to Trip Advisor's brilliant rating criteria, it means I think Bangkok is some glowing destination. Really puts you off wanting to contribute to their site any more.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman
  • Like 1

Remember when Tripadvisor shut down the KT page after the recent murders? Someone is definitely getting bought off.

Tripadvisor reviews are not verified and anyone can write anything about anywhere, good, bad or indifferent...

Agree the reviews aren't verified but anyone who uses TA regularly and with a bit of common sense will disregard the 1 time poster who posts a glowing or negative review. They also have a forum where you'd do the same. TA though is very politically correct and sticks very much to travel only posts and threads, it's not interested in being a news service.

I think the murders of 2 Brits on Koh Tao have been blown way out if proportion.

2 murders, 1 young girl's death from natural causes {possibly drugs}, and a French guy possibly suicide, in my mind does not make Koh Tao the "Death Island" the "Murder capitol of Thailand" or "the place one goes to if they have a death wish."

Name any place in the world and there will be crime stats that will show it to be dangerous.

People visiting Thailand need to be more concerned with wearing their helmets on motorcycles than with being murdered.

If you are happy to hang out with murderers and rapists, your mind is a place I don't want to be looking into.

I realize you never let any opportunity to malign Thais and Thailand but one horrible incident doesn't make for an island full of murderers and rapists.

Well, there were actually three well known incidents within a few months, why is why the island got tagged with the name Death Island. One incident would have pretty much blown over, but three is way too many for a tiny island.... So , where there is smoke there is fire..

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

I realize you never let any opportunity to malign Thais and Thailand pass you by, but one horrible incident doesn't make for an island full of murderers and rapists.

As you can see some people have whipped themselves into a blind frenzy of irrationality regarding the murders in Koh Tao; no amount of facts or reason would affect them.

• Like 2

As you can see some people have whipped themselves into a blind frenzy of irrationality regarding the murders in Koh Tao; no amount of facts or reason would affect them.

Am confused as to who the group is in a blind frenzy. The people doing the pit bull

defense of the island ( these murders are a coincidence) , or the attackers of the

mafia culture of the island ( these murders could not possibly be done by a Thai).

I found that statement by the Thai police in this " investigation " somewhat ironic in

light of the recent news story showing a Thai man beating a two year old child to death.

So clearly being Thai does not preclude that person from committing acts of violence.

• Like 2

First of all, it isn't "one horrible incident".

Second of all, it is everything that followed this "one horrible incident".

Well, tell me, how many other horrible incidents were there?

A young lady died from natural cause/possible drug issue, and a Frenchman most likely suicide but everyone on TV thinks must have been murder.

Tell me all about "murder island"

What followed the incident was police bungling an investigation. Simple really.

This horrible stuff happens everywhere. I am not denying that there was bad shit happening on the island....I'm just saying it's been blown way out of proportion, and if people want to rate it as a top tourist destination they are probably not far wrong.

Remember when Tripadvisor shut down the KT page after the recent murders? Someone is definitely getting bought off.

Tripadvisor reviews are not verified and anyone can write anything about anywhere, good, bad or indifferent...

sorry you are wrong

there are moderators on tripadvisor the same as this thai visa site

so you cannot write freely whatever you want

Not true .my daughter manages a GH in Australia.They had a family book in. The husband was abusive to his wife and kids ,other guests were complaining about the noise. The staff asked him politely to tone it down.Next morning he threw the keys at them,went home and wrote a scathing report which was on Trip Advisor. Approaches were made to Trip Advisor by my daughter with the real story ,they refused to remove the comment. I am surprised that Trip Advisor have not been sued or maybe they have. There might be moderators but they would need an army of them to verify claims and how do you suggest they do that pay a visit to check the dirty linen pool etc ? impossible

To give them their due, Trip Advisor does provide hoteliers with the option to answer any negative reviews. I've seen it many times, although usually with high-end properties where the guest's claims have been debunked by management.

sorry you are wrong

there are moderators on tripadvisor the same as this thai visa site

so you cannot write freely whatever you want

Yes, it probably has certain words that trigger a moderation. Profanities etc.

yes profanities of course

but one is not able to post reviews multiple times [theres 90 day limit]

so myself for example goes to a resturant every week however i can only post a review every 90 days [using same email address]

you cannot promote yourself directly [your post will be removed ]

owners are able to reply to all reviews and post thier responce and give thier side of the story in case of negative reviews

so its not just a free for all

You forgot the "suspicious" (his parents and the coroner believe it) death of Nick Pearson on New Year's Day 2014.