Koh Tao named Asia's No 1 island

webfact

Now that the Chinese are coming in their teeming millions, I am glad to see that none of my favourite islands are mentioned in the list.

Far be it from me to mention any names though, let Lonely Planet and Tripadvisor readers trudge their weary way from one overdeveloped island to the next under-resourced island.

Toodle pip!

• Like 1

TripAdvisor needs to be read with many grains of salt. Anybody can dump his/her opinion on something without the proof of qualification nor ever having been there. Many restaurant owners are being threatened with leaving a nasty comment on TripAdvisor. Some people are impossible to please (one cannot be everybody's darling) and have strange interpretation of product and/or service.

Unlike Agoda or any other product purchasing site TripAdvisor allows anybody to vent their spleen; Agoda requires that the reviewer must have at least purchased the product in order to leave a review.

It is being grossly misused; I've seen restaurants on rank 1 in Pattaya (remember "Froggies" ; upon physical visit I found a hole in the wall which got closed meanwhile and reopened as an Indian delight.

It takes LOTS of writing to get a unjustified review out again and you have to proof the reviewer wrong while the reviewer does not even need to prove their identity.

Koh Tao might have been "jacked up" by order of some TAT boys telling the staff to leave positive reviews. Wonders never seize and mysterious are the ways of the East.

On a different note; what actually happened to the Burmese prisoners who were accused of the double murder?

Syd..I think you will find they are going on trial in about two/three months time. A cooling off period the Thai authorities hope will help to keep it out of the headlines.

By the way, my Thai wife went with me to the Isle of Man in 2009. She thought it was great!. It's not on the list though.

Trip advisor is a waste of time.

I knew two people who were living in Thailand and their primary income was posting reviews on Trip advisor, both positive and negitive for oposition of their "clients".

It is a bizare wrld we live in.

Wonder how many proprietors on "Death Island" use this service http://real-tripadvisor-reviews.com/

Haha that website is pretty damn funny. Learn something every day,

I had no idea positive reviews could be bought.....

"We offer to post POSITIVE reviews about your establishment on

TripAdvisor, and the good news is, you only pay once the review

has been approved and posted on TripAdvisor.

• Like 1

I believe TripAdvisor less and less as time goes by. I see how restaurants and pubs get to near the top of the list in some places with 8 reviews total and anyone can make a review if they work for the place, visit it, or not.

• Like 1

Wow. Tripadvisor's credibility just took a nosedive as far as I'm concerned.

Did it have any before?

Any website that requests content from contributors but has a ''you pays, it stays'' policy should not be allowed to fool a blind man on a dead horse.

• Like 1

Don't forget what Tripadvisor really is: a selling site making millions from affiliate fees.

They've done extremely well to get to the position they have in this market but, as said before, reviews from online travel agents such as Agoda tend to be more reliable.

• Like 2

Wonder how many proprietors on "Death Island" use this service http://real-tripadvisor-reviews.com/

Haha that website is pretty damn funny. Learn something every day,

I had no idea positive reviews could be bought.....

"We offer to post POSITIVE reviews about your establishment on

TripAdvisor, and the good news is, you only pay once the review

has been approved and posted on TripAdvisor.

Do a search for "yelp" and check out the scam they have going with fraudulent reviews. Pretty much all of these sites have become a "pay for reviews" scam.

Remember when Tripadvisor shut down the KT page after the recent murders? Someone is definitely getting bought off.

Tripadvisor reviews are not verified and anyone can write anything about anywhere, good, bad or indifferent...

sorry you are wrong

there are moderators on tripadvisor the same as this thai visa site

so you cannot write freely whatever you want

Wrong, as long as you keep the vocabulary right you can dump anything there. You do not have to provide proof of who you are nor if what you write is true based on facts!

Sorry, you are the one who is wrong. See my previous post. I was very careful to keep my vocabulary "right" and I was still not posted. I have over 100 reviews there good and bad and never had this problem before. I think there is a connection between Tripadvisor and TAT

• Like 1

Just had a look at www.Tripadvisor.com to see the comments that make this island No.1. I couldnt find anything that would lead me to say this is the best island in Asia. It comes in at No.5 but I couldnt find a reason for that either

Can you bribe Tripadvisor to get a better ranking?

You can ask 100's of customers/friends/family members to write a very good review and give 5 stars. That's how it mostly works for cheaters and scammers. Not saying that all top ranked businesses on Tripadvisor do that but I do know of at least a few on Phangan that have got their top ranking that way. You can also pay people to do it of course

TripAdvisor needs to be read with many grains of salt. Anybody can dump his/her opinion on something without the proof of qualification nor ever having been there. Many restaurant owners are being threatened with leaving a nasty comment on TripAdvisor. Some people are impossible to please (one cannot be everybody's darling) and have strange interpretation of product and/or service.

Unlike Agoda or any other product purchasing site TripAdvisor allows anybody to vent their spleen; Agoda requires that the reviewer must have at least purchased the product in order to leave a review.

It is being grossly misused; I've seen restaurants on rank 1 in Pattaya (remember "Froggies" ; upon physical visit I found a hole in the wall which got closed meanwhile and reopened as an Indian delight.

It takes LOTS of writing to get a unjustified review out again and you have to proof the reviewer wrong while the reviewer does not even need to prove their identity.

Koh Tao might have been "jacked up" by order of some TAT boys telling the staff to leave positive reviews. Wonders never seize and mysterious are the ways of the East.

On a different note; what actually happened to the Burmese prisoners who were accused of the double murder?

Syd..I think you will find they are going on trial in about two/three months time. A cooling off period the Thai authorities hope will help to keep it out of the headlines.

By the way, my Thai wife went with me to the Isle of Man in 2009. She thought it was great!. It's not on the list though.

Yes but what happened about them getting bail.The money was forthcoming but it all went quiet