Poor / No Hygiene Rimping @ Maya

sharktooth

I have only had food poison once in Thailand,which is quite surprising,after seeing some

of the things that go on with food here,like in Carrefour (gone),they used to have cooked

meats and raw meats in the same chilled cabinet,and in the frozen food section lots of

foods were soft to the touch,not frozen at all.

In the wet markets,was enough to turn you to a Vegan,meats in the sun, covered in flies,

women preparing food after cutting up meats then washing hands in a bucket.

I have read were that rates of food related illnesses,and deaths is on the rise in the West,

were they have stricter laws about food preparation,and officers checking on them at

regular times,here it pays to be careful about what you eat,freshly cooked and hot is a

must.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Sharkey. I suggest you cook your food. Or quit buying inferior meat products, like cold cuts. They are not healthy, if you are interested in good health. Many problems in T'land but this one easily solved. Avoid the situation.

At 62b per 100gms, I wouldn't have thought of it as being 'inferior.'

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have only had food poison once in Thailand,which is quite surprising,after seeing some

of the things that go on with food here,like in Carrefour (gone),they used to have cooked

meats and raw meats in the same chilled cabinet,and in the frozen food section lots of

foods were soft to the touch,not frozen at all.

In the wet markets,was enough to turn you to a Vegan,meats in the sun, covered in flies,

women preparing food after cutting up meats then washing hands in a bucket.

I have read were that rates of food related illnesses,and deaths is on the rise in the West,

were they have stricter laws about food preparation,and officers checking on them at

regular times,here it pays to be careful about what you eat,freshly cooked and hot is a

must.

regards worgeordie

I think the problem in the West is that they have been under restrictions for quite a while and never really developed a resistance to food poisoning. Look for it to rise here in Thailand as more and more younger people move here.

• Like 1

Yes get used to it , they wont change their hygiene standards, I think it's a cultural thing.... I don¨t care as long as my meat has been cooked properly.

If the public could see what actually goes on in restaurant kitchens and food preparation areas in stores, no one would ever eat out or buy unpacked food again.

The hygiene standards, or should say lack of hygiene standards here are appalling. So far been lucky, and a miracle none of us have suffered from extreme food poisoning in the past.

Perhaps after living in Thailand for a long time we become immune to all the bacteria that would knock us down in the west.

I never buy unpacked cold meats in Thailand and have always stuck with wrapped foods from the cold cabinets.

Many various food vendors here play an important role in providing easily accessible, low-cost meals for the general population. We also know that contamination of food by chemical and microbiological pathogens is often believed to be a significant contributor to foodborne diseases.

Remember, it also plays an important role in providing employment opportunities for millions of men and women with limited education or skills.

Most of this contamination will be caused by; poor education, poor environmental sanitation, inadequate infrastructure and improper food handling experience, plus a variety of other anthropogenic factors.

However, research has shown that the majority of food-related illnesses and death could be controlled, or eliminated, by the use of proper food

handling techniques (via proper education).

Proper education and training of food / street-food vendors may offer the most cost-effective way to reduce the incidence of foodborne disease.

Five Keys to Safer Food

-Keep clean

-Raw and cooked food should be separated

-Destroy hazards when possible

-Keep microorganisms in food from growing

-Use safe water and raw material

All associated with the main risk factors associated with food prepared in developing countries.

Did you know that Thailand’s Department of Health has developed a ten point code of practice for vendors, which is used comprehensively by urban authorities (FAO, 1994). http://www.fao.org/docrep/w3699t/w3699t07.htm

• Like 1

It's pretty much the same at deli counters anywhere. And in restaurant kitchens. When you aren't looking! At home, too, (looking or not) !! Sometimes the roast chicken is dropped on the floor --- and the dog might even get a lick in! Deal with it

I don't know or care what goes on in your home. I however, choose not to live in the sort of squalor where dogs roam around licking dropped chickens.

• Like 2

Sharktooth, your comments about Rimping are disturbing. One reason I always shop there is because I expect a higher degree of cleanliness but I am aware that the culture here is not up to most of the western world standards, such as HACCP, regarding food safety. It would not take much effort to train food/meat servers at Rimping to wash hands and don gloves when preparing food for customers. I've seen servers behind the meat counters wearing gloves most of the time. Maybe I have to pay closer attention. I haven't had any health problems so far but I don't eat in street stalls and I have had Hep shots in the past. Maybe that helps a little. Thanks for the post!

• Like 1

Sharktooth, your comments about Rimping are disturbing. One reason I always shop there is because I expect a higher degree of cleanliness but I am aware that the culture here is not up to most of the western world standards, such as HACCP, regarding food safety. It would not take much effort to train food/meat servers at Rimping to wash hands and don gloves when preparing food for customers. I've seen servers behind the meat counters wearing gloves most of the time. Maybe I have to pay closer attention. I haven't had any health problems so far but I don't eat in street stalls and I have had Hep shots in the past. Maybe that helps a little. Thanks for the post!

I was under the same impression as you, which is why I regularly shopped and spent quite a bit of money there. And let's face it, hygiene and good food preparation practices are not rocket science. I've lived throughout S.E Asia for 18 years and only had food poisoning a few times, but this blatant public disregard for hygiene in what is perceived to be a prestigious organization is very disappointing.

It's pretty much the same at deli counters anywhere. And in restaurant kitchens. When you aren't looking! At home, too, (looking or not) !! Sometimes the roast chicken is dropped on the floor --- and the dog might even get a lick in! Deal with it

I don't know or care what goes on in your home. I however, choose not to live in the sort of squalor where dogs roam around licking dropped chickens.

I have a dog and if I dropped a chicken it would probably get licked. I never thought of my home as squalor, though.

I don't care about your home, either.

• Like 2

I think so too. Good on sharktooth for trying to get in touch with the correct person, and a pity the correct person was not available.

Videotaping it also sounds like a great idea in hindsight. If not getting any response from the one in charge, put it on youtube/facebook.

Edited by Awk

If the public could see what actually goes on in restaurant kitchens and food preparation areas in stores, no one would ever eat out or buy unpacked food again.

A good guide to assessing the cleanliness of a restaurant kitchen was given by Anthony Bourdain in his book Kitchen Confidential. He says the easiest place in a restaurant to keep clean is the toilet area. If that's filthy imagine what the kitchen is like.

• Like 1

I bought beef for over 1000 bht/kg at Rimping and they weighed it directly on a scale covered in dried blood. I asked them to clean it first and they grabbed the closest dirty rag and wipes more germs on it.

You don't always get what you pay for here. There never see to be a manager there if one had a problem.

The Food Court (Tops) in Central is also hopeless, the manager not only didn't know where the Mexican food products were, she said they didn't carry any which I found after looking for three min. Oh also she didn't know what Mexico was, and she is the boss of a very fancy international food store.

I have my fresh market vendors whom I trust and enjoy doing buisness with, well worth the effort.

• Like 1

At Rimping prices are first rate and staff is substandard (just as everywhere else in LOS).

Had many problems and avoid them now when I can.

You are right, never a manager around in the about 10 times when he/she was needed.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The hygiene standards, or should say lack of hygiene standards here are appalling. So far been lucky, and a miracle none of us have suffered from extreme food poisoning in the past.

Perhaps after living in Thailand for a long time we become immune to all the bacteria that would knock us down in the west.

I never buy unpacked cold meats in Thailand and have always stuck with wrapped foods from the cold cabinets.

Don't fool your self. I worked for a wholesale restaurant and hotel supply company for years. We had a shop where we made all the stainless steel that went into the kitchens. We would go into them tear every thing out and put in new up to date equipment. This was in the states. I saw filth beyond belief if you didn't work in the industry and know about it you wouldn't believe it. some of them were five star. On the other hand years ago I had a wife who worked at McDonalds and every night she worked cleaning the kitchen. Every thing was on wheels and easily moved and cleaned behind.

Yes the hygiene is not up to western standards but then again the people here are immune to it. Where as the middle age and younger western generation are not. There of course will always be an exception.

Just cook your food properly. The traces of whatever was left on there will be gone and you can carry on enjoying your life.

Complain to the management and it will probably result in much worse things being done to your meat in the future.

I must agree with the op. I stopped buying the deli meats at romping me echo 2 years ago. Nearly died from that German ham product made by the 2 letter meat company. I always watch them now when shopping the slicer is never cleaned after use.

IMO--to be honest, although hygiene standards here in Thailand are not what they are in the West, or in a perfect World anywhere like what they should be--but, having worked, and lived for on and off 20 years in India--I find LOS, during the 15 years that I have been here, almost spotlessly clean in comparison; the Thais, also, do have a basic grasp of what is meant by Hygiene--sadly, the Indians, in general do not. Apart from a couple of minor cases of 'the Runs' or an upset stomach I have been relatively 'Trots-Free' in Thailand--I caught Amoebic Dysentry on 2 occasions and countless cases of days spent as near to a toilet as possible during my time in India; many times train or bus journeys had to re-scheduled due to uncertainty whether my arse was going to explode.

• Like 1

IMO--to be honest, although hygiene standards here in Thailand are not what they are in the West, or in a perfect World anywhere like what they should be--but, having worked, and lived for on and off 20 years in India--I find LOS, during the 15 years that I have been here, almost spotlessly clean in comparison; the Thais, also, do have a basic grasp of what is meant by Hygiene--sadly, the Indians, in general do not. Apart from a couple of minor cases of 'the Runs' or an upset stomach I have been relatively 'Trots-Free' in Thailand--I caught Amoebic Dysentry on 2 occasions and countless cases of days spent as near to a toilet as possible during my time in India; many times train or bus journeys had to re-scheduled due to uncertainty whether my arse was going to explode.

Takes me back to when I was a young lad growing up. We had a man coming around delivering eggs and another delivering bread along with one delivering milk. Also we had an ice chest instead of a refrigerator. Certain times of the year are potatoes would be delivered. We all lived through those harrowing experiences and none of us got sick.

At the "Green Room" in Nairobi (down off River Rd) back in the 70s they used to grill meat things in the garden.

The method was this:

Roughly chop the raw, juicy, meat/entrails on the chopping board

Cook

Put the cooked meat or entrails back on the same nice moist chopping board for final cutting.

Serve

Delicious.

The best way by far is just to get some antibodies if you're long term.

ps also very very rarely get a bad stomach

pps the Green Room used to serve beers through the wrought iron cage through holes

Edited by cheeryble