Phuket Gov pleads for time to settle beach question

webfact

Phuket Gov pleads for time to settle beach question
Nattapat Tuarob

1429777624_1-org.jpg
Gov Nisit want people to give the new beach management a chance.

PHUKET: -- Governor Nisit Jansomwong gave a lengthy justification of the beach reorganisation in Phuket on Tuesday (April 21), pleading for critics to wait until the trial period is over in another month.

Speaking at his first meeting with honorary consuls on the island, he said, “I want you to understand that in the past, the activities on the beach were mostly illegal – people encroaching on public beaches.

“The other day, I met Michael Hancock, the British Consul, who came down from Bangkok, and he said that in the past the beaches in Phuket were free.

“I explained to him that they were not free, because they were occupied by groups of people. But that image has been changed today because we have strict law enforcement and I won’t let those groups do that again.

“I set three steps for beach management,” he explained. These, he said, are enforcement of laws, beach management and sustainability.

“The first was Social Order – enforcement of the law so that anybody, locals or tourists, can come to use the beach freely.

“The second is beach management. In recognition that some tourists may want to use mats or cushions on the beach, I have set aside the special 10-per-cent zone for them, so that beach users can have a choice.

“Two questions: Why 10 per cent? And why not allow sunbeds and sunloungers [as opposed to mats or cusions]?

“If you allow more than the 10 per cent there will be no room for people who want to just sit on the beach.

“I also listened to Phuket people [who told me] if you let [sunbeds] come back, [the whole beach] will be occupied again.

“Mr Hancock asked me why is the beach regulation so strict? I told him that is because the law in Thailand prohibits littering or drinking alcohol in public.

“I have been six times to beach cleaning sessions and I found the beaches very dirty. There were cigarette ends everywhere I went. How can we create a sustainable beach [like this]?

“I understand that some tourists might not feel comfortable with the rules but I would like you to follow them and understand that we do have rules and you need to follow them.

“Our rules will preserve our nation and our beaches. The rules are meant to keep the beach organised in the long run.

“From now on, police or soldiers will no longer be involved in enforcing rules on tourists. But we will put our rules in hotel rooms and tour companies. I realise that the rules may not be understood [by everyone] in one day. It takes time to change the behaviour of tourists, business operators, and officials.”

As for building up sustainability, he said, “I will discuss with local municipalities the rules for further law enforcement and beach management committees. I have ordered government officials not to go after tourists or disturb them.

“We will use other channels to communicate with the tourists, I promise you that.”

Seven Smulders, honorary consul for the Netherlands, said he thought that the prohibition on beach chairs and sunbeds would see Phuket lose a large number of elderly tourists.

Governor Nisit replied, “I understand that some tourists have different needs but I want you to wait for this three-month plan to end – it’s been in place two months now – after which I will evaluate performance and will discuss all the concerns and problems with government officials.

“I would like to ask for you to understand that when it comes to matters of public policy, I must listen to all the stakeholders in the province.

“This is a public policy, and there will definitely be winners and losers. I want to see the benefit going to our country.

“What surprised me is that tourists visiting Phuket are [generally] happy. But people in Phuket are not. In the Gross National Happiness Index, Phuket people are second from last.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-gov-pleads-for-time-to-settle-beach-question-51993.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-23

“From now on, police or soldiers will no longer be involved in enforcing rules on tourists. But we will put our rules in hotel rooms and tour companies"

OK ... you lost me there...

I think 'zone' dividing is difficult for tourist and annoying. Tourist wants to sit in front or close by their hotel.not walk 2 km. Before have 2 sometimes 3 rows of chairs. If you make just 1 row chairs and umbrellas close to the waterline, and the space behind with tree shadow free open nature space, then everyone can sit everywhere they want with the choice 'chairbed, umbrella, nice view, service' and pay for it, others that don't want to pay and don't need service .. can use the space behind.

clear and easy, no zone searching walking.

• Like 2

Can't they bring their own chair and brolly ?

If they come to a country protesting, why an they just buy a chair and take it tot he beach with them like in USA, Australia etc

That´s the problem, and stupid part, about it. Your not allowed to. And yet that is all it would take to fix the problem. The actual problem is the ex-vendors are jacking up and they haven´t got the stones to stand up to them. This is their way of trying to please everybody. A compromise where no one is happy. They can (could) still rent them, just not on the beach .....

• Like 2

“From now on, police or soldiers will no longer be involved in enforcing rules on tourists. But we will put our rules in hotel rooms and tour companies. I realise that the rules may not be understood [by everyone] in one day. It takes time to change the behaviour of tourists, business operators, and officials.”

And there is the answer - back to thousands of sunbeds, bars and no more 10% special zone! The rot is allowed to set back in as its not police effectively.

Its not the tourists that are fault but the local community for breaking the rules and providing the sunbeds, liquor and illegal buildings in the first place.....so posting rules in hotel rooms will be totally useless - they should be sign posted on the beach and in Thai.

Meanwhile on Ao Manao Beach in a military base at Prachuap Khiri Khan there are plenty of chairs and umbrellas businessmen right on the beach, you can order strong liquores to waiters some of them seem to ne military (depending or the operation you choisies to sur)

No crackdown here apparently 555

To there discharge them do let good space for people who want to sit on the beach, in full Sun beware the sunburnts!

Each business cleans its part or beach every day

Edited by FarangKyAy

This is a bit off topic but I feel relevant to the beach debate. It would be nice if Thai authority spent some time on the cleanliness of Thai beaches. I am currently spending some time with the family at Mae Pim during the school holidays. Whilst this is a still relatively unspoiled area of Thailand and has stricter controls over building heights the beaches are a disgrace. There is rubbish and litter just left on the beaches totally spoiling the whole environment. What is it with Thais and the local authorities that do not have any respect for cleaning up after themselves. I watch them come to the beach with all their picnic gear and then when they are finished just get up and leave all their rubbish behind them. This not only happens here but it is an inherent problem in Thailand. I remember the "keep Australia Beautiful" campaign which focused on this very issue if only some one could try the same type of campaign here.

... From now on, police or soldiers will no longer be involved in enforcing rules on tourists. But we will put our rules in hotel rooms and tour companies. ..."

Why on earth does this need to be enforced by police let alone the military anyway? I don't think there are many countries with popular tourist beaches that have their police buggering about with deck chairs versus sun beds. That should be a City or Municipal regulation enforced by a lower order task force. In Pattaya, when you see an official clamp down on illegal beach peddlers or street vendors, the silver pickup truck with red strobes and uniformed guys aren't from Soi 9 or the Tourist Police. I believe they are a different team that operate out of City Hall that do that level of enforcement. They hand any law breakers over to the local police. Why don't they get tasked with this deck chair rigmarole as well instead of chasing the odd itinerant gai yang and somtam sellers?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

... From now on, police or soldiers will no longer be involved in enforcing rules on tourists. But we will put our rules in hotel rooms and tour companies. ..."

Why on earth does this need to be enforced by police let alone the military anyway? I don't think there are many countries with popular tourist beaches that have their police buggering about with deck chairs versus sun beds. That should be a City or Municipal regulation enforced by a lower order task force. In Pattaya, when you see an official clamp down on illegal beach peddlers or street vendors, the silver pickup truck with red strobes and uniformed guys aren't from Soi 9 or the Tourist Police. I believe they are a different team that operate out of City Hall that do that level of enforcement. They hand any law breakers over to the local police. Why don't they get tasked with this deck chair rigmarole as well instead of chasing the odd itinerant gai yang and somtam sellers?

On the other hand is it appropriate that visitors, tourists, beachgoers are not allowed to sit on the beach without charge?

Do you recall the incident just 2 months ago when the employee of a beach chair vendor kicked sand all over a tourist just trying to sit on the beach and forced her to leave.

Needs to be some balance here.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Unfortunately this can't be managed, due to greed. There are so many simple solutions, but no matter what is proposed, greed creeps in and the public good gets tossed in the ****ter. Most every country in the world can control their beaches and set up amenities for the public good Public showers, restrooms every 500 metres etc.), but not here in Phuket.