Suvarnabhumi taxis threaten to protest Friday

Thaivisa News

I understand that bigger taxi's do use more fuel and are more convenient, so a bit higher surcharge is justified. It seems reasonable in my eyes. Besides there is a choice if you don't want a big one you don't have to use one.

Did you check the full costs on these gas taxis?

It is extreme low.

Some surcharge is OK, but last time I picked up my parents, the mafia there told that we 3 slim people and what my parents carry (not much) doesn't fit in a normal taxifacepalm.gif

So the big one and no meter.....

An extra 10 or 20 % would be OK, but not the old "no meter" thing and double/triple price or pay per baggage.....

everyone knows that the tourists who come here for three weeks or a month will not come only with a vanity case but adapted suitcases to stay comfortable

The majority of taxis offer car whose box is already occupied by a 3/4 lpg tank

where should we put the luggage then?

I don't get it why everyone seems to think this is unfair. They are talking about the bigger taxi's no surcharge for the smaller ones. Those bigger taxi's are more expensive to buy and to operate. Fair is fair besides if your alone you don't need one of those and you can make do with a smaller one.

So I am ok with this as long as its only for the bigger kind.

I find it interesting that the small taxis run on Gas for economy of fuel and the boot is more than half filled with the Gas cylinder.

This makes such taxies fine for shifting people without much luggage but not that good if you have two 20Kg bags plus hand luggage and laptop etc.

One bag in the boot, the other in the front passenger seat and two passengers in the rear with hand luggage and that's about the maximum for a reasonably confortable journey.

From the airport in a large taxi fine, better and I would also pay more for the comfort but

where can I find a large taxi to take me to the airport from our home in the Styks LOL

We have to book a couple of days in advance as it is with the small taxi!

I see the difference between the bigger taxi's and the smaller ones and don't mind if they add a little bit (not talking about a lot let them add an extra 50-100bt)

But of course only for the bigger kind and it should be up to the passenger if they take a bigger one or not.

Then what happens when the bigger taxis start to complain they only get 50% of the fares while the smaller taxis are constantly working?

I imagine most of the passengers are alone or maybe couples and have no need for the larger taxis.

I'm 99% sure the rates are exactly the same for regular taxis or minivans in New York City. One is allowed 4 passengers, the van 5. NO difference in rates.

When you get to the airport, a person is there at the head of the taxi line. You tell them the destination and the give you a piece of paper with the fare. That's what the driver has to accept. This got rid of the "long" routes some drivers would take to boost their fare. Unfortunately, it didn't work the other way back to the airport and it's not unusual to have them go the long way...usually saying it's due to less traffic. Which sometimes is true...

But overall, they might have a point here. Rates are very low.

I can tell you the taxi rates in toronto only cover the first 4 passengers in the cab, and every passenger over 4 is an extra surcharge.

Although handicap equipment is covered, excess baggage is not covered under the meter rates and the taxis can charge extra for baggage.

Minivans cost more money in initial investment, and use more gas so having rates take that into account is a reasonable demand.

I'm 99% sure the rates are exactly the same for regular taxis or minivans in New York City. One is allowed 4 passengers, the van 5. NO difference in rates.

When you get to the airport, a person is there at the head of the taxi line. You tell them the destination and the give you a piece of paper with the fare. That's what the driver has to accept. This got rid of the "long" routes some drivers would take to boost their fare. Unfortunately, it didn't work the other way back to the airport and it's not unusual to have them go the long way...usually saying it's due to less traffic. Which sometimes is true...

But overall, they might have a point here. Rates are very low.

Rates have just recently increased by about 12%.... these guys are forgetting that if they give a good service they will get tips (not of everyone but some will tip well)... if they start charging for every little thing, people won't give tips... simple.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bring back the airport buses that used to run from the airport during the 3 day strike and keep them there.

There's still a bus runs from the airport to Jomtien, I believe 136 baht, and as MUCH luggage as you want.

If you're talking about going from the depot on Thappraya Road, all passengers are allowed 1 suitcase free. There is an extra charge of either 20 or 40bht (can't remember exactly) for each additional bag/case carried in the luggage compartment.

This is a well organised value for money service and whilst the coaches aren't super luxury, the drivers appear to have service and passenger safety uppermost in their list of priorities. The Arrivals service at Suvarnabhumi is is of an equally good standard, with coaches running on the hour to Jomtien. Recommended.

Never taken a bigger one. But they're talking about minivans that have many seats. Aren't they licensed to carry as many people as there are seats? They get to charge an extra 50 baht and a garuanteed fare usually far from samut prakan so a decent fare and probally a tip if they provide a decent service and don't take you the long way round or on the expressway. Plenty of seats on the airport rail link tho- its far safer faster and cheaper plus no waiting in line. Didn't they all get a pay rise a while ago ?-and nothings changed in quality of service..

I actually would be fine with a REGULATED surcharge for larger vans in the following cases:

• More than 4 passengers (because you would need to get otherwise 2 taxis)
  • Extra baggage starting after the 2nd suitcase (would not fit in a normal taxi)

BUT now here is the catch:

• Then they MUST use their meters
  • Can not refuse any request regardless of the distination

How come I have the feeling, they demand 1 and refuse 2? So unless 2 happens forget 1!

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Simple, impose spot checks checking taxis have their meters running when they leave the airport, and also when they arrive.

Having a big taxi does not warrant charging extra unless a lot of passengers and baggage.

Of coarse it does ,it is to stop cheap arse tourists getting 4 or more in a taxie and paying a small fare each let the big groups pay more or get two taxies ,they are just cheap skates Thailand does not need them .

I don't get it why everyone seems to think this is unfair. They are talking about the bigger taxi's no surcharge for the smaller ones. Those bigger taxi's are more expensive to buy and to operate. Fair is fair besides if your alone you don't need one of those and you can make do with a smaller one.

So I am ok with this as long as its only for the bigger kind.

I find it interesting that the small taxis run on Gas for economy of fuel and the boot is more than half filled with the Gas cylinder.

This makes such taxies fine for shifting people without much luggage but not that good if you have two 20Kg bags plus hand luggage and laptop etc.

One bag in the boot, the other in the front passenger seat and two passengers in the rear with hand luggage and that's about the maximum for a reasonably confortable journey.

From the airport in a large taxi fine, better and I would also pay more for the comfort but

where can I find a large taxi to take me to the airport from our home in the Styks LOL

We have to book a couple of days in advance as it is with the small taxi!

I see the difference between the bigger taxi's and the smaller ones and don't mind if they add a little bit (not talking about a lot let them add an extra 50-100bt)

But of course only for the bigger kind and it should be up to the passenger if they take a bigger one or not.

Then what happens when the bigger taxis start to complain they only get 50% of the fares while the smaller taxis are constantly working?

I imagine most of the passengers are alone or maybe couples and have no need for the larger taxis.

That is their problem, they wanted a bigger taxi. Can't have it all their way.

I understand that bigger taxi's do use more fuel and are more convenient, so a bit higher surcharge is justified. It seems reasonable in my eyes. Besides there is a choice if you don't want a big one you don't have to use one.

Did you check the full costs on these gas taxis?

It is extreme low.

Some surcharge is OK, but last time I picked up my parents, the mafia there told that we 3 slim people and what my parents carry (not much) doesn't fit in a normal taxifacepalm.gif

So the big one and no meter.....

An extra 10 or 20 % would be OK, but not the old "no meter" thing and double/triple price or pay per baggage.....

Of course not just a little bit extra.. and they also paid more for their taxi. So let them add a little bit not no meter thing of course or a stupid per baggage.

So it's okay for these people to gather 1700 strong, yet 6 college kids get taken away for re-adjustment because they're more than 5 people? Sounds legit to me.

That apart; An old Israeli told me this joke when I lived there way back when.

So this Jewish fella turns up at JFK airport and stops a taxi. "how much to go downtown"? he asks.. "50 bucks" replies the taxi driver.. "and how much for my luggage"? Taxi driver replies "nothing"... "Okay so take my luggage, I'll walk" blink.png

• Like 2

I really do not understand people saying its cheaper than in any western country so its OK. its cheaper because fuel is cheaper, labour is cheaper....

When I can take a taxi, be it from the airport, to the airport, or anywhere in TH, and pay a fraction of what I'd pay in any western country, I think there's some room for fare increases. But it must be done in a manner where everyone has a say and files their grievances, including the taxi drivers. But the process to assess "fair fares" is underway and there are legitimate complaints to be heard from ALL sides. Not all of the 30,000+ taxi drivers in BKK are bad. But "one bad apple" as they say...,

The government needs to bring in an independent, unbiased moderator in to work the process. It's out of hand right now and nobody has really stepped up to address the situation at its core AND to listen to all sides in a common forum.

As a side note, many taxis in my area see me and smile as they pull up to take my fare. They know me and they know I respect them for their service. They also know I tip them as is customary where I'm from. I typically tip 10-20% depending on traffic and the route distance.

Most european countries charge a higher rate for larger taxis. Not higher surcharge or per bag but per km and or time travelled. Perfectly understandable to me and I think it is correct.

But charging a higher surcharge or per bag feels dumb.

When did they bring in the new number system? Always worked fine before. Had a surly <deleted> the other week. Complained about my normal sized suitcase that wouldn't fit into his tinny boot. Of course he had no occy straps to close the lid, so I had to put main case and carry on into back seat. Luckily I was by my self.

You poor dear, what a dreadful hardship. Are you okay now?

stuff em, I get a chauffeur limo from the airline who doesnt drive like hes on fire and gets your bags in and out, even if they were paid twice the rate they still havent a clue about customer service.

This I want to see. Taxi mafia vs. the military.

So why get a big taxi if only 3 can use it? blink.png

You and your crew of supporters, did you miss something? "Patthawee added that the drivers of the mini-van taxis also want the right to reject passengers who arrive in a group of more than four." And, if true, I believe the insurance coverage reason is valid for objecting to more than four (4) .

How about in Pattaya/Jomtien, I would bet that 98% of the meters have never even been turned on.

You mean they have meters? Every taxi driver I've ever asked at Jom Tien says 'no meter'. Total B.S.

If they do go on strike (and even if they didn't) I would arrange a group of vehicle testers when they return to the airport. A check of vehicle and driver documentation, insurance etc followed by a complete MOT on the vehicle. If it or the documents are not in order ban them from the airport.

Edited by harrry

There have been quite a few times arriving at Swampy that I WANTED a taxi station wagon because I had a lot of luggage. But, waiting in the public taxi queue, never could get one and rarely saw them there on arrival.

Invariably, it was always the regular 4-door sedans on offer only. And when we'd ask the taxi queue staff about the larger taxis, they'd answer, no have.

It's amazing to me they're claiming that there at 1700 such vehicles working at the airport. I seriously doubt most of whatever number there are are running regular metered service.

That style vehicle seems to be the favorite of the taxi mafia types who sit outside hotels all around Bangkok waiting to snare tourists coming out of hotels and headed for the airport or trips elsewhere -- always no meter of course.

Around my neighborhood, I'll usually hear those guys asking 700-900 for a trip from Asoke to Swampy -- something that a meter trip would cover in less than 300 baht.

Be forewarned....by way of charging baggage fee charges, as the way to make extra money, there will be a disaster as the whole affair will be turn into a form of extortion by all too many of the drivers.

I can just envision the arguments and altercations that are going to inevitably occur while already confused passengers, freshly arriving for the first time are now confronted with aggressive taxi personal and their airport employee cohorts ( airport mafia?????? ) dictating to them that this bag is 50 Baht surcharge and this bag is 25 Baht surcharge while this small box is 200 baht surcharge plus the 50 baht for the existing airport taxi fee and then who knows exactly how much for the tax ride itself while there are highway tolls also to be paid.

Word will spread like wildfire that Thailand is a major scam and it all starts at the airport with the Taxi drivers...with unheard of, only in Thailand extra baggage fees besides the already existing 50 baht airport fee.

And how about the Thais arriving at the airport......will they be charged or only foreign nationals...and will Farang pay even higher prices as I can assure you if they had their way they would apply different rates to different nationalities...to their way of thinking.

You Farang...you pay more...but less than Khon Yippon....ha, ha, ha

If they allow the taxi cab drivers to levy a surcharge on baggage you will witness chaos and stupidity at its finest.

The answer is simple enough....just raise the meter rate to start at say 60 baht or even more if need be.........but the extra baggage fee is just plain stupid and bound to fail or back fire or result in too many angry tourists......and ruin the reputation of Thailand....as that is what they seem to be so worried about as we see stated by the Thai government authorities....."Thailand's image is important".....must keep up the image.

Cheers