Best condo building(s) for quality of life in Jomtien?

funlovinkid

I'm looking for a long-term rental, not a purchase. I know there are a lot of condo buildings to choose from, but I'm trying to figure out which one(s) are best in terms of quality of life. I've been in several buildings which have a nice view, but in which the walls are paper-thin, and you can hear your neighbor's TV (or worse!). There are also buildings which are poorly managed (i.e. not maintained) or have constant staffing problems, legal problems, embezzlement, etc.

Location is also important, of course: proximity to restaurants, the beach, etc.

I know, for example, that Reflections is a beautiful building (probably expensive), but not sure about the quality of life at its location. I get the impression it's a bit removed from everything.

I'm looking for something in the range of 20 - 25K.

I suspect this posting will attract the attention of real estate professionals, but I'm really hoping for feedback from people who've lived in the area. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or shared experiences!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in View Talay 2A could not be happier just moved into a double unit from a single costs 20k a month , good management , great pool and handy shops/massage/laundry/barber on ground floor :)

I know, for example, that Reflections is a beautiful building (probably expensive), but not sure about the quality of life at its location. I get the impression it's a bit removed from everything.

I'm looking for something in the range of 20 - 25K.

I saw a 60sqm one-bed unit on a medium floor in the rear building of Reflections that was offered at 35K/month or 6MB to buy. I dare say both were negotiable.

Yes, it's a way from anywhere and you would need your own transport but it's a nice enough location and quite upmarket.

For purchase I would be concerned about the empty plots next door but for rental I would be happy, especially as it doesnt seem to have many permanent year-round residents yet.

You would be surprised to hear that the expensive condos built here in the last 5 years are the worst when it comes to noise. If you want a quite place try the older buildings built in the 90's . I dont know why but back then they knew how to build a condo properly , almost up to western standard, and they used solid building material. I would recommend VT 1 - 5 or one of the older condos that are maintained well, like Baan Suan Lalana. Most of the rooms are studio size 40 sqm but they will give you the "quality of life" you're looking for.

Edited by balo

You would be surprised to hear that the expensive condos built here in the last 5 years are the worst when it comes to noise. If you want a quite place try the older buildings built in the 90's . I dont know why but back then they knew how to build a condo properly , almost up to western standard, and they used solid building material. I would recommend VT 1 - 5 or one of the older condos that are maintained well, like Baan Suan Lalana. Most of the rooms are studio size 40 sqm but they will give you the "quality of life" you're looking for.

I have never seen a condo built "Properly" here, the older blocks do at least have supporting beams, tied into the pillars, the newer ones are supposed to be "pre stressed" concrete floor pans, but all are just 200 mm thick, with no sandwiched insulation for either impact or transmitted sound, both exterior walls, and interior dividing walls are single skin, just 100mm thick,providing very little by way of retaining cold air, or indeed protecting us from the 30 degree plus outside temperature. single glazing is used in most cases, doors that are only 35mm thick. All in all, very poor build quality, by way of workmanship and materials, but compared to lets say the UK, much cheaper, so I suppose you get what you pay for.

I have never seen a condo built "Properly" here, the older blocks do at least have supporting beams, tied into the pillars, the newer ones are supposed to be "pre stressed" concrete floor pans, but all are just 200 mm thick, with no sandwiched insulation for either impact or transmitted sound, both exterior walls, and interior dividing walls are single skin, just 100mm thick,providing very little by way of retaining cold air, or indeed protecting us from the 30 degree plus outside temperature. single glazing is used in most cases, doors that are only 35mm thick. All in all, very poor build quality, by way of workmanship and materials, but compared to lets say the UK, much cheaper, so I suppose you get what you pay for.

Older buildings are better because materials were cheap 10+ years ago.

All Viewtalay always seem to be reliable also.

I've owned in Chateau Dale ThaBali since it was built and couldn't be happier. When considering buying top of my list were the kind of key issues the OP mentioned such as quality, good management and convenient location. I also didn't want too big a complex with all the noise and comings and goings of constant short term transient letts. Luckily since a friend owned a few in the original Chateau Dale I was able to spend some time around the place vetting it before making a decision even though I knew his judgement was sound anyway. When I've been away on overseas contracts I have let my place several times previously and those that stayed on year contracts have always extended, which I think is a good endorsement of the complex. I let myself for 2 months just gone on my way through Thailand since mine is currently rented and the going rate seems to be around the 25k mark for the smaller 68 sqm units.

Though Markland hotel-condo is not in Jomtien, (it is located in north Pattaya on Beach Road), it does have some demands you are looking for. It was built over a couple decades ago, so it is a solid building. The walls are thick so one never hears their neighbors and on the average there are probably only 4-5 daily occupants on each floor, with 2-3 renters on each floor. The "young bucks" seem to stay away from Markland (too far from Walking Street) so the occupants are mostly renters over 40years or retired--mostly Westerners, singles and couples. Quiet at night in the hallways.

Everyone wants to rent on the south side because of the full view of Pattaya Bay; however, most of the rentals are on the north side which is cooler and you do have a view of the sea from the balcony. I am sure not all the rentals look the same, some have been renovated, especially the bathrooms. The rooms are studios, but a roomy 40sq meters. There is a private car ramp to park your car so it isn't in the sun. The place has a decent outdoor pool (token broken down gym of course). Yes, it is an old building so the hallways do not have that "slick"appearance but compared to the new condo complexes the hallways are quite wide.

Its location is great. Walk straight out to Beach Rd and wave down a songtaew. Beach?- walk across the street, sit down on one of the rented beach chairs and umbrellas (except on Wednesdays of course) raise your hand and the staff will come over and deliver your favorite chilled beer. Restaurants? Mantra for the Sunday brunch; Tavern at the Sea runned by the Amari for happy hour; Holiday Inn terrace or the roof top at the new annex; Gullivers bar and grill to play pool with your buddies; Green Tree with live evening entertainment. Nearby on 2nd Road, is Siam@Siam that has reasonable weekend buffets and a great bar to meet frineds at. If you are one of the guys that needs to meet the local ladies, soi 6 is close and the bars along 2nd Rd can enterain you with their live bands (bring ear plugs). Big C north shopping center on 2nd Rd is only a 10 minute walk down soi 1. Now in front of Markland you now have a Tops mini-market for the basics. Upstairs, great coffee shop. From north Beach Rd (along Dusit Thani Hotel) down to Pattaya Klang it is a lot "tamer" and classier than when you get closer to Walking Street or even parts of Jomtien (lived/worked here 9 years-not a short time tourist). Unfortunately the first 5 floors of Markland hotel-apartments is a hotel so during tourist peak season, you may have to deal with the elevators being busier.

The biggest draw back of Markland Apartments are the 3 antiquated elevators, you can't be in a hurry to go anywhere. (cha-cha) This building has been around enough to prove they have good maintenance. I would never buy a condo at Markland because of its outdated electric wiring and plumbing, but I wouldn't buy any condo in Pattaya because of the inflated prices and not exactly being a good investment. (yes, there are exceptions)

Edited by toenail

I have a friend who is happy in VT.2 C-D on Thrappaya.............

Apparently good management, enforced rules, and standby generators...(don't fancy 15 lots of steps).

View Talay 2A is closest to Thappraya Rd. View Talay 2B sits behind the A building.

All the View Talays have good locations and nice pools and/or beach access but amenities such as tennis courts or in house gyms, saunas are lacking.

Some consider the absence of expensive and unwanted extra facilities to be an advantage.

I personally would be delighted if the pool in my building had an entry fee for residents as that way the cost of maintaining it would be paid only by those who use it.

Would endorse View Talay 5 C-D or Chateau Dale, tried both places. Both very well kept after, although both having some transient residents that can be disturbing at times.

CD Thabhali has a a really bad mosqito plague though, due to the tropical garden which is constantly drenched in water, but that can be managed. Another drawback for CD is that it lacks natural access to the beach by foot (unless having a key card from one of the beach front condos across Thappraya wink.png )

VT 2 B is worth a look. Set back from the road a bit- some bars on Theppaya road can be a bit noisy.

The pool area is probably the best of any condo and the newish owners of the pool side restaurant do really good food .

It's well run ( taken over from VT years ago ) and for example the lifts are being replaced soon. Security has got better recently.

If you can get a high floor the views are not bad- somewhere with a 'proper' sea view comes at a price.

The handyman is excellent and can sort out electrical/ Internet/ plumbing etc.

Yes there are holiday lets, but generally there are many full time residents ( a whole mix of nationalities )

Grounds are kept really well- guys out there everyday sweeping - you never even see a cigarette butt- residents seem to respect the common areas.

The building is not exactly beautiful and a bit tired, but once you shut your front door- that does not matter so much.

The walls in VT 5 are thinner and you can hear next door sometimes- but it is smarter and next to the beach, and the pools are awful.

I personally would be delighted if the pool in my building had an entry fee for residents as that way the cost of maintaining it would be paid only by those who use it.

I don't share that view. My condo has a beautiful pool that I have never used. It is there for all and I realize I benefit indirectly because it adds value to our project especially when I decide to sell.

I have lived in Pattaya for 10 years and always seeked the new condo buildings which, for me, was a mistake as the new quarters were always smaller, lower quality building materials, less attentive staff, etc. My new building is 17 years old, only 8 floors, ( means faster elevator service ), spacious, 4.5 star plumbing/electrical and quiet. Most service people here for at least 10 years and keep property as though they lived here, maybe better !

i dont live in jomtien but in south pataya in yensabai condo, before i bought my condo i rented it for 6 months to see if i liked it.seemed a good idea at the time and i still think so as to me it makes sense,cos if you dont like you can always move.

I don't share that view. My condo has a beautiful pool that I have never used. It is there for all and I realize I benefit indirectly because it adds value to our project especially when I decide to sell.

That's a good point, but your unit would still have added value from the nice pool even if you didn't use it and didn't contribute to the upkeep.

Short-term tenants get a lot of the advantages from our pool, and at the same time cause the most wear and tear. There is no supplement for that extra wear and tear above the standard common fee that their landlord pays, and I think there should be.

I lived in VT2 for a while and its in a great location and only a few minutes walk to the beach, restaurants and bars.

The building is very well run with many of the juristic persons being farang. Best to get a unit on the Pattaya side as

its a lot cooler. Plenty of parking too which many of the newer buildings don't have. Only of interest if you wanted to

buy but the maintenance is very low compared to many of the newer buildings, Its around 15 Baht per square meter.

Look for thick, well-insulated floors and walls. I gave up on the "concrete mausoleums" years ago. I had a beautiful top floor unit in VT2B, but my neighbors were out boozing it up most nights until 2 or 3 AM, and then they would come home to argue or make loud phone calls to Russia or Germany. Sounded like they were sitting on the end of my bed. Have lived in a house since and not regretted a minute of it.

That being said, do your homework and visit the property at different times of day. There may be a karaoke bar just around the corner that goes all night and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

With your budget, you should be able to find a pleasant quiet and comfortable place. Do your homework. Good luck.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I live in View Talay 2A could not be happier just moved into a double unit from a single costs 20k a month , good management , great pool and handy shops/massage/laundry/barber on ground floor smile.png

I've lived in the same building for the last 10 years - 7 as an owner. The pool is one of the largest in Pattaya and is certainly better than the pools in the newer View Talay buildings.

I lived (renting) in condos in Jomtien for six years before the noise finally drove me out. YMMV if you're lucky.

Not really much of a problem with noise in View Talay 2A at night.

I lived in VT2 for a while and its in a great location and only a few minutes walk to the beach, restaurants and bars.

The building is very well run with many of the juristic persons being farang. Best to get a unit on the Pattaya side as

its a lot cooler. Plenty of parking too which many of the newer buildings don't have. Only of interest if you wanted to

buy but the maintenance is very low compared to many of the newer buildings, Its around 15 Baht per square meter.

Except in the summer when the Pattaya side is hotter than the Jomtien side but that's only about 4 months out of the year. The maintenance fee in View Talay 2A is 3,600 baht per unit but there is also a variable secondary fee as 3,600 baht is totally inadequate to run the building. The secondary fee for this year was 6,500 baht.

Alan

Mate

I have 2 x Condos Vacent side by side Fully Furnished near Jomtien @ Park Lane Complex 8th Floor Block 4,

My Plan is to join both Condos into Family Condo block that will consist of 3 Bed Room,

At the moment I am working here in Indonesia if intrested sms me on + 62 811 111 0126,

Best Regards

Mj

I live in View Talay 2A could not be happier just moved into a double unit from a single costs 20k a month , good management , great pool and handy shops/massage/laundry/barber on ground floor :)

I have worked in the CIS a bit and View Talay remind me so much of the Soviet-style monstrous apartment blocks housing thousands of not-so- discerning occupants. No wonder so many Russians choose VT as their home away from home. My advice, stay well clear (also if you don't want your vehicle to be parked out in the open and have proper security)