Thai Airline Apologizes for Insulting Phuket Heroines

Lite Beer

Thai Airline Apologizes for Insulting Phuket Heroines

14299623861429962600l.jpg

BY Khoaosod Eng.

PHUKET - A Thai airline has apologized for misspelling the names of two historical figures in its in-flight magazine, which was deemed offensive by some residents of Phuket province.

In the April issue of Thai Smile's magazine, the names of Thao Thep Kasattri and Thao Sri Sunthon, two warriors who led a local resistance against Burmese invaders in the 18th century, were misspelled to read "Feet of Thep Kasattri and Feet of Sri Sunthon."

Feet, which are pronounced as “tao” in Thai, are considered offensive in Thai culture.

Thai Smile representatives apologise to statues of the two warriors in Phuket province, 24 April 2015.

Photos of the misspellings quickly surfaced on the internet and were widely shared on social media, with some commentators taking offense at the error. Thai Smile is a low-cost airline that is owned and operated by Thai Airways, the national flag carrier of Thailand.

Kornthichart Wattanapat, secretary of the Phuket-based Thao Thep Kasattri and Thao Sri Sunthon Foundation, also issued a letter to Thai Smile headquarters demanding an apology.

"Your publication lacks careful [oversight] and misspelled the names of Thao Thep Kasattri and Thao Sri Sunthorn, as the attached document shows. Such action is deeply inappropriate," the letter said.

Natenapang Teerawat, deputy chairperson of Thai Smile, and other representatives from the company also conducted a ceremony in front of the statues of Thao Thep Kasattri and Thao Sri Sunthon in Phuket province to apologise to the spirits of the two warriors.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1429962386

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-25

• Like 1

Photos of the misspellings quickly surfaced on the internet and were widely shared on social media, with some commentators taking offense at the error.

Does anyone find cow pat moo offensive or just funny.

Some people need to seriously get a grip.

Reminds me of an incident in Hua Hin when I lived there a long time ago. There was a local magazine written in English, which also had some ads in German. The people putting the magazine together obviously didn't know German, a German bar owner submitted an ad mentioning "Fassbier", which is draught beer, but in the ad it appeared as "Fussbier", which would mean foot beer. The German bar owner took it lightly though, he considered it to be a funny mistake, and even told me it brought people to his bar, who came in requesting to have a try on the foot beer.

More serious was the case of a Thai run bar trying to advertise in German. They wanted to say "welcome to our clean atmosphere" (they meant no hookers I think), but out came "welcome to our sour atmosphere". (The difference between "sauber" meaning clean, and "sauer" meaning sour). The British owner of the magazine doubled with laughter when I told him about this, it had been in there for years.

It's a shame and i will go on to boycott Thai Smile and Thai Airways like i do for a long time....

You will go on to boycott them because of a simple spelling mistake? Thai Smile is a cracking little airline. I'm sure they will miss the revenue of some anal farang. There's nowt so as queer as folk.

Interesting to understand how they managed to mis-translate this. The word 'Thao' is roughly translated as 'Dame' - it is an honorific title. The Thai spelling of Thao is not the same as for 'foot', (and nor the same as 'grey'). (It is a bit like mistaking 'feet' and 'feat' in English.

I suspect the Thai translator was basically rubbish at spelling in his native language :)

To quote Stephen Fry,

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so <deleted> what."
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's a shame and i will go on to boycott Thai Smile and Thai Airways like i do for a long time....

You will go on to boycott them because of a simple spelling mistake? Thai Smile is a cracking little airline. I'm sure they will miss the revenue of some anal farang. There's nowt so as queer as folk.

Thai smile is a cracking little airline , just hope there is no cracks in the wings or fuselage.

Regardless of the cultural significance of these heroines you would have to be at a cataclysmic level of PMT to be offended by such a mistake especially when surrounded by so many other major issues.

How many Thai's are "offended"by the fact that for the past 64 years they have been paying salaries for a Naval Submarine division when in fact this country does not have a single submarine. Nor does it need one.

Interesting to understand how they managed to mis-translate this. The word 'Thao' is roughly translated as 'Dame' - it is an honorific title. The Thai spelling of Thao is not the same as for 'foot', (and nor the same as 'grey'). (It is a bit like mistaking 'feet' and 'feat' in English.

I suspect the Thai translator was basically rubbish at spelling in his native language smile.png

obviously trained and previously employed at the Nation.....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Woe betide anyone that "insults" Thai culture.

Of course Hitler Fried Chicken and school children dressed in Nazi uniforms is just a "misunderstanding".

Cultural sensitivity is strictly a one-way street in this country.

Whether you think it is of no consequence is of no importance, the airline involved have apologized and have moved on, that should be enough for everyone.

The Thai population have every right to to take offence to this perceived slight as that is their culture culture, what more is their to comment on???