The people decide, not MPs: PM Prayut

webfact

POLITICS
The people decide, not MPs: PM

THE NATION

Politicians have no right to decide whether election should be put off

BANGKOK: -- THE PEOPLE and not the politicians have the right to decide whether the current government should relinquish power or postpone the general election, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

He was responding to a proposal by a group of politicians from both camps who said they did not mind the general election being postponed provided they got a democratic charter.

Prayut questioned the rights of politicians in this matter.

"What right do the politicians have to say that I can stay on or not. What does the charter say?" he asked. "This depends on the people, who are the country's owners."

He said if the people wanted him to continue in his post, they must find a legitimate way for him to do so. "This is the question for everyone in the country - they cannot pass the buck onto me," he said.

"If they want the country to continue as it has been, then have a general election as you want and I will step down. If they want me to continue in my post, they have to help me find the way [to achieve that]."

Asked if the government would continue with its roadmap schedule towards democracy, Prayut said he did not want to be blamed for not keeping his promise. "I don't want you to say I did not keep my word for the roadmap," he said.

Prayut opposed a proposal to copy the United State's version of democracy that stressed the decentralisation of power, citing the differences in the size of the two countries and their education models.

He said Thailand was not ready to follow the US' democratic lead because it may lead to conflict.

He believed the country's current decentralisation of power structure and format was good enough but our local administration bodies must improve their quality.

"If we have to restructure the system, how would people benefit, where do we get the money to do it?" he said.

"We have so many problems already with our decentralisation. Let the people decide if they want it."

Prayut took the press to task for criticising his government as dictatorial. "Do not criticise my government like other governments. I am trying to solve the country's problems," he said.

"What's wrong with you in the media? Or am I being too nice?''

He said it was up to the public to decide whether they wanted to have a public referendum on the new charter because this was not stated in the interim charter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/The-people-decide-not-MPs-PM-30258819.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-27

"THE PEOPLE and not the politicians have the right to decide whether the current government should relinquish power or postpone the general election"

... but unfortunately there's currently no mechanism for the people to decide, now is there ? wink.png

well it's not up to a hand full of politicians - redshirt leaders - or a small number of political loud mouth activists either,

he has a point

"THE PEOPLE and not the politicians have the right to decide whether the current government should relinquish power or postpone the general election"

... but unfortunately there's currently no mechanism for the people to decide, now is there ? wink.png

well it's not up to a hand full of politicians - redshirt leaders - or a small number of political loud mouth activists either,

he has a point

and what may that be?

The only choices the people have is, will it be the bum gun or the tissue and they will probably loose that with the Junta's return to Thainess campaign.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

he has a point

Apparently it was up to a small number of loud mouth activists, because that's how we got here.

really ? that is not what I saw in Bangkok when close to 1 million people (if not more) were demanding change and reforms before elections. While certain people wanted things to stay as they were and go right to elections and were willing to kill and murder to get their way, Thailand is being reformed like it or not, anything has to be better than what existed this time last year.

Interesting quote from another headline today...............

NRC whip spokesman Wanchai Sornsiri

Corrupt politicians would fear the new charter because there were effective mechanisms to eradicate, block and punish them, he said.

Wanchai was responding to criticism made by politicians that the charter draft aimed to maintain dictatorial power.

"Good politicians are not perturbed by the new charter."

He said the new charter was meant to promote and protect the interests of the public and not vested interest groups.

I happen to agree 100% with the above, there are a few people who don't want to see any changes - anyone like to guess who they are ?

• Like 2

Holy cr*p...... It looks like things are moving from a simple loss of plot by

Prayut, into the realm of the insane. Let the people decide when they

want elections ? The same people who no longer have freedom of speech

and are terrified of article 44 ? American democracy is bad ? The mind boggles.....

I am starting to feel sorry for Thailand.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

"...What's wrong with you in the media? Or am I being too nice?..."

I think when it is all said and done, someone could write a best selling book of comedy fill with quotes from this self-appointed PM.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 2

How can the people decide?

Sent from my c64

Well...you have a referendum to 'decide' if you want a referendum to 'decide' if you want an election ..OMG.

I think the easiest way is to use that polling organisation from the university......that guarantees 87.235% or something. Who could then reasonably argue with that decision.? Or you ask the 200 village leaders, or whatever they are.

Seriously, I have never read such a rambling load of nonsense from a country's leader - elected or not.

• Like 1

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.