Australia says Indonesia gave 72 hours notice of executions

webfact

Australia says Indonesia gave 72 hours notice of executions

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Indonesia has given two Australians on death row 72 hours notice of their executions, Australia's foreign minister said Monday.

The Australians Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan are among 10 drug traffickers facing execution by an Indonesian firing squad.

Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio on Monday she is "profoundly dismayed" that over the 72 hours notice. She did not say when the minimum notice period began or when the executions are likely to take place.

News Corp. reported a mortician in Bali has been instructed to inscribe the names and the date, April 29, on the crosses that will mark the pairs' graves.

Bishop says she contacted her Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi Sunday night in a bid to prevent the executions.

"I will continue to do everything possible to advocate for a stay of execution and a reconsideration of the clemency bid of the two men," Bishop said.

"I do not believe it is too late for a change of heart," she added.

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott had also written to Indonesian President Joko Widodo on their behalf.

"This is not in the best interests of Indonesia, let alone the best interests of the young Australians concerned," Abbott told reporters in France.

As well as the Australian pair, three Nigerian men, four men from Brazil, France, Ghana and Indonesia, and a Filipino woman are to be executed.

The United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon appealed to Indonesia on Sunday to stop the executions.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-27

Were these people absolutely, without a shadow of doubt, guilty?

Were the Indonesian police/judiciary systems totally fair in this case?

If yes to both, then it does not look good.

"As well as the Australian pair, three Nigerian men, four men from Brazil, France, Ghana and Indonesia, and a Filipino woman are to be executed." So if the Govts of Australia/Nigeria/Brazil/France/Ghana/Philippines beg for mercy and are successful, do these Govts expect Indonesia to spare the foreigners' lives but execute just the Indonesian person? That won't go down well in Indonesia.

• Like 1

Sorry this is about Indonesia executing several people who have no place being in front of a firing squad, ie the Indonesian, Filipino, Brazilian and Frenchman- comparisons with other countries are irrelevant, you might as well say there have been no executions in the UK for 40 years, Indonesia looks like a hell hole in comparison.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post
  • Like 2

I don't agree that countries should be allowed to carry out penalties that are just plain wrong, without criticism.. Who agrees with the public beheading of women in Saudi ? Yes Indonesia has expressed their right to carry out the sentence, which some posters agree with. But I look at it and say that they have already been punished for 10 years in a terrible environment, but still in that environment, as a lot of people believe, they have reformed. They were only very young when they performed this crime.

Additionally if the execution is stopped it is not that they go free, they will still spend the rest of their days in an Indonesian jail.

• Like 2

Pity they did not find the real pushers instead of the mules. I am sure the Federal Police "dobbed" them in as a warning to the drug lords in Australia. They could not convict them but they could interfere with the supply line. There is a lesson here - don't run or push drugs. To the users, get a real life. If you get caught, you will be shot. enuf sed

Seems like the whole world is going back to Medieval Times, and we 're so much more Educated, Now...

and we 're so much more Educated, Now.

Really? Seems to me the world has forgetting some important lessons. Still making the same mistakes. History will prove we are no further forward as human beings than any other time.

• Like 1

I don't agree that countries should be allowed to carry out penalties that are just plain wrong, without criticism.. Who agrees with the public beheading of women in Saudi ? Yes Indonesia has expressed their right to carry out the sentence, which some posters agree with. But I look at it and say that they have already been punished for 10 years in a terrible environment, but still in that environment, as a lot of people believe, they have reformed. They were only very young when they performed this crime.

Additionally if the execution is stopped it is not that they go free, they will still spend the rest of their days in an Indonesian jail.

The only reason they were forced to spend "10 years in a terrible environment", is because "due process" WAS followed and after several appeals and requests for clemency, the convictions and sentences were upheld. It seems to be that it's time to bring it to an end and carry out the sentences in accordance with the laws of Indonesia.

As i understand it was the Australian federal police who received information that this group was about to smuggle drugs into Indonesia. They had the opportunity to arrest the group in Australia and thereby prevent a crime. They decided not to do this but rather to inform the Indonesian authorities. They did this because Australia no longer has the death penalty.

Congrats...like most things on T-V, you've managed to get it 180 degrees backwards and turned around. Yes, the Federales were onto this group of mules but they were attempting to smuggle drugs from Bali into Australia. The Feds have been criticized for tipping off the Indonesian authorities and letting them make the pinch in light of the fact that Indo has the death penalty for drugs trafficking whereas Australia only an all expenses paid short stay in an Australian Club Fed.

• Like 2

So in his great war against drugs, slimebag Joko signs off on the execution of minor drug mules, a victim of people traffickers, someone with schizophrenia, a Frenchman involved with ecstacy. Why? because they couldn't pay the AUD130,000 the judges were demanding for a non death sentence.

Meanwhile the real beneficiaries live in their mansions in Menteng and continue the trade with a new set of mules. Nothing changes.

This is all about posturing and psycho-nationalism, nothing whatsoever to do with controlling drugs.

Absolutely correct.

• Like 2

It is true that they will not go free. However, by keeping these idiots in prison for the rest of their lives, the Indonesian government would have to pay for their keep, which is very costly.

The government is doing the smart thing. Upholding their law, not giving into sloppy governments who cannot seem to keep their nationals from exporting drugs and saving themselves the possible expense of taking care of these people until they die of natural, or un-natural, causes.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

AAAh! no they wont...They will be transfered to an Australian Prison to serve out their (life) sentence....which means some do-gooder will have them out in a couple of years....Bet money on it..

So in his great war against drugs, slimebag Joko signs off on the execution of minor drug mules, a victim of people traffickers, someone with schizophrenia, a Frenchman involved with ecstacy. Why? because they couldn't pay the AUD130,000 the judges were demanding for a non death sentence.

Meanwhile the real beneficiaries live in their mansions in Menteng and continue the trade with a new set of mules. Nothing changes.

This is all about posturing and psycho-nationalism, nothing whatsoever to do with controlling drugs.

It is the same globally. However these so called smugglers made their own decision to do do the deed. Nobody forced them did they? Heroin isn't like marijuana matey and sadly on that instance Indo does not differentiate between the two. And that is their choice...nobody elses.

On the bribe money story...yeah...I heard that on ABC Aussie tonight too...as an international journalist I would like to know what/who is their source? Tony Abbott? Some invented organisation/person. I will answer that below...

Seems more a late in the game, 5 meters to go for the try play.

Why do I say that?

Well...if Bali Based lawyer Muhammed Rifan cannot be located because he has supposedly traveled to Mecca for a religous gig to comment on his statement that he was ready to pay the judges 130K AUD for a lighter sentence...this brings up heaps of further questions doesn't it? One question is where does that money come from? Another question is are the Indo judiciary that bent? So what...most judiciary in SEA is bent and so are judiciary the world over for that matter.

So until Mr. Rifan is located and tells his story for evidence...all there is...is that judges can be bought...not that the two found guilty perps are innocent of the crime they committed.

I also lived in Indonesia for a few years...in Menteng too...about 3 blocks away from that twit Tommy's house.

Shocking savagery. Capital punishment for drug offences has no place in the civilised world.

If you go back to the root cause this is correct. The war on drugs is an unnecessary tragedy. In my opinion all drugs should be legalized, licensed and regulated, any Country talking such a stance would have a more solid moral stance when appealing for clemency. As it is Abbott should keep out of this, unless the Australian taxpayer is winning to fund their future detention on Indonesia's behalf.

Bali 9 executions: Final insult as accused pair denied pastor, outraging families
Tom Allard and Jewel Topsfield in Cilicap

Indonesian authorities have refused Bali nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran the right to have a pastor of their choice to witness their executions, outraging their families and Australian diplomats.

In heartbreaking scenes, the families of the condemned men arrived at the port of Cilacap for their last visit to Nusakambangan prison island, surrounded by friends.

Their last bit of dignity has been denied.

Michael Chan, brother of Andrew Chan
Sukumaran's sister Brintha collapsed as she wailed in grief, surrounded by a large media pack. His mother Raji was also deeply distraught.

Chan's family arrived soon after, protected by embassy officials. Brother Michael was ashen faced, his mother Helen covered her face as she sobbed.

As they walked to the port, police with dogs tried to break up the media pack, with at least one journalist bitten on the leg.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/bali-9-executions-final-insult-as-accused-pair-denied-pastor-outraging-families-20150428-1muvxv.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2015-04-28