DSI to summon management of Mezo diet food supplements for questioning

webfact

DSI to summon management of Mezo diet food supplements for questioning

27-4-2558-16-22-36-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation is to summon the management of factory which produces Mezo diet food supplements for questioning after laboratorial tests have confirmed that the food supplements contain toxic substances.

Pol Lt-Col Suriya Singhakamon, head of the information technology office of the DSI, said today that the department was collecting evidences, including findings from lab tests conducted by the Forensic Science Institute which confirmed the existence of toxic substances in Mezo diet food supplements.

Initially, he said that the management may face charge of violating the Computer Crime Act for false advertisements of the product. However, he added that the DSI could not order the shutdown of the factory because the company has licenses to manufacture several products but it could force the company to stop producing Mezo diet food supplements.

Pol Lt-Col Suriya said one person was reported to have died and two fell seriously sick after having taken the diet food supplements. Relatives of the victims will be asked to testify to the DSI officials, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dsi-to-summon-management-of-mezo-diet-food-supplements-for-questioning

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-27

And where is the equivalent of the Thai Food and Drug Admin. in all this???

Or, perhaps it was the Thai FDA that issued the manufacturing licenses that the OP mentions without saying what entity issued them.

Going after a supplements manufacturer producing medically unsafe products using the Computer Crimes law would seem to suggest something is wrong with the Thai consumer protection scheme for food and supplement products... Ohh... wait... is there even such a thing here???

See all the kiosks in malls promoting health-enhancing products and regimens. Scares me when I read the labels and compare with the marketing claims. The (potentially) legit products I can find are all priced so ridiculously high. Others I see are total rubbish in their promotion yet too many people are sucked into the marketing spin and buy this trash.

I agree there needs to be a higher emphasis placed on protecting consumers from false advertising claims and products produced without any legitimate monitoring for quality and, yes, testing.