Traffic chaos as tropical storm hit Bangkok's inner zone

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

flying billboards or pieces of them seem more of a threat/problem than trees.
Power poles can be inspected and reinforced where needed as can billboards. Ok trees may be somewhat more diffcult to assess their sturdness, but the billboards and power poles are being ignored by those who are responsible for maintaining the standards they must meet for instalation/building.

Put the blame where it should be, on those people that should be held responsible, for maintaining the systems in a safe manner, not a rain storm/front moving through.

I seem to remember about 3 years ago when some billboards collapsed killing someone they were all going to be checked. I don't know if that happened.

It's the same every year, they build billboards and a storm will throw them all over the place. Don't think they will learn from that, they 'll just be replaced untill the next storm.

Flying billboards are a Bangkok perennial, it's a wonder that nobody has yet been decapitated by a sheet of flying metal.

But like the coach deaths, the motorcycle brain damage, the train derailments, the ski-jet and motorboat dismemberment of swimmers, nothing beyond a few amulets and a cosmetic adjustment or two for face's sake will ever be done to improve the situation.

• Like 1

Of course, in the real world all those cables would not have been blown down and crushed cars and blocked the roads because they would have been placed underground and out of sight.

Yes down underground and underwater :P I have seen the splashing going on when they do roadwork.... it would make me feel so much more comfortable having electrical cables in water underneath me :P

• Like 2

Thankfully, high winds don't seem to happen all that much here in Bangkok. But because of that, I suppose it doesn't take much when we do have a severe windstorm for weak trees to be uprooted and felled.

Could it be that most of these trees are jungle trees and fast growing, in the jungle they compete for canopy height, and don't have deep root systems. In nature they are close together and provide wind shelter to each other whereas in the city they are stand alone and in concrete canyons that channel the wind giving them no chance to stand up against it.

• Like 1

The writer of this article really needs to understand the difference between hardly hit and hardest hit.

when tropical storm hit the capital

The writer of this article needs to understand what a tropical storm is.....what hit Bangkok wasn't a tropical storm rolleyes.gif

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/list_warning.php

Agree completely. The editors constantly and incorrectly use the term "tropical storm" for the usual and sporadic strong thunderstorms that happen at this time of the year. I guess sensational headlines garner clicks.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 2

The writer of this article really needs to understand the difference between hardly hit and hardest hit.

The writer of this article needs to understand what a tropical storm is.....what hit Bangkok wasn't a tropical storm rolleyes.gif

im in bkk right now. I saw rain to the north of me. but where I was at no rain at all

Unnecessary grammar police posts and replies have been removed. A troll post and a reply was removed as well.

Too bad: this was one of the worst-written and repetitive articles I've ever struggled through on TV.com

it is a surprise more poles do not fall down on there own with all the cables hung on them. how do they figure out what is what or just add another cable? if you look around you will find poles leaning all over the city.

Looking at the storm photos, it's clear to see that it's time to get cracking and bury the power lines. Yes, it's a big job but the sooner you start the sooner it will be done. And, you too, Pattaya! Take a cue from Singapore. Drove through Bangkok before the storm yesterday and traffic was already bad on the freeway I was on--mainly caused by having to come to a grinding stop three times after relatively short distances to pay small tolls. Now that it's the 21st century, why doesn't Bangkok adopt the toll system where you pay when you get on or off a tollway rather than while you are driving at high speed on it? The traffic would move so much better and it's so much safer.

• Like 1

You could, I trust, instantly rise to the challenge of writing the same article in perfect Thai!

And I have little doubt that many Less travelled English spelling persons would make the same mistake in calling this a 'tropical storm'. It is, after all, not an unreasonable connotation.

And shame on all those who actually approved of this cynical comment by ticking the

'like this' box!

You could, I trust, instantly rise to the challenge of writing the same article in perfect Thai!

And I have little doubt that many Less travelled English spelling persons would make the same mistake in calling this a 'tropical storm'. It is, after all, not an unreasonable connotation.

And shame on all those who actually approved of this cynical comment by ticking the

'like this' box!

oh dear, funny how the TMD can get it right in their English version and oh oh wait wait they are Thai as well...whistling.gif

So all the journo had to do was follow the great Thai tradition of copying and plagiarising other peoples work,

no dear boy, nothing to do with language skills or mistakes and all to do with creating false sensationalist headlines...thumbsup.gif

So put your mock outrage back in its box

• Like 1

It was not a tropical storm. It was a summer thunderstorm. A tropical storm is a intentense cyclonic rotating storm that is formed over ocean/sea. This Thai news always get wrong terminology.

• Like 1

I live on Soi Lang Suan just above the Sarasin intersection, so watched the whole drama unfold yesterday. Several cars and vans were crushed by the 15 utility poles that came down (news says 14, I counted 15). The vehicles couldn't be moved since they were pinned to the road by the poles, so it wasn't until cranes arrived that they cars could be cleared. This meant that all of the north side of Sarasin and most of Lang Suan turned into a gigantic parking lot for a few hours; no one could go anywhere. For awhile the police closed both sides of Sarasin but that made the traffic worse so they re-opened the south side.

Today traffic is flowing normally and dozens of EGAT workers are restringing the lines etc.

Semantics

Hardly semantics dear boy,

A tropical storm is associated with a low pressure system, while what is happened in BKK is associated with a high pressure system - summer thunder storms as the TMD have correctly stated....completely different animals....what hit BKK was NOT a tropical storm.

Edited by Soutpeel

Go ahead and try to impress yourself buddy! Frankly I prefer reality over technical classifications and semantics. wink.png

• Like 1