Abhisit blasts CDC for creating new parliamentary dictatorship

webfact

Abhisit blasts CDC for creating new parliamentary dictatorship

4-28-2015-9-20-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva blasted the Constitution Drafting Committee for crafting a draft constitution which would pave the way for the creation of new parliamentary dictatorship.

He cited sections 181 and 182 of the draft which empowers the prime minister to initiate a special law which will automatically pass through the parliament if there is no debate of the special law in the parliament.

This will be the first time that parliamentary dictatorship is constitutionally created, said Abhisit.

The Democrat party leader also expressed doubt over the power to be bestowed on the 15-member national reconciliation promotion committee in a way that the committee can grant amnesty to anyone who provides useful information to the committee or who repent their crimes with the committee.

He warned that such power of the reconciliation committee, if misused, can lead to a new round of conflicts.

He said he didn’t understand why the CDC did not learn the lesson from the latest mass protest when people went on the streets to protest against the blanket amnesty for political offenders.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/abhisit-blasts-cdc-for-creating-new-parliamentary-dictatorship

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-29

From another thread but equally on topic here

If the new charter forces - accountability - transparency - honesty and introduces checks and balances that make it difficult for corruption - abuse of power - breaking the law and election abuse, then that is exactly what the democracy - the country and its people need, it gets a huge thumbs up from me.

I can also see why politicians don't want it - for once in Thailands political democratic history they will be forced to abide by the rules and law and be investigated and punished (held accountable) for their actions, something that is the norm in the west

• Like 1

This is surely further evidence, that former-PM Abhisit and the Dems are totally in-the-pocket of the amart ... and that his strings are being pulled by the military, erm ... erm ... right ? whistling.gif [/

Heard of the term that in politics there are no permanent friends or enemies? He was conveniently used for that moment of political times and now cast away when he served no useful role inthe current setup. Ahbisit really has little democratic principles and many times have compromised with undemocratic force to make his political gains. It's unfortunate that such an educated man and a life time career as a politician is actually weak and allowed others to dominate him in party and national politics.

Interesting, so he is being critical of the Junta Gov ?

Did i read that right ?

He's realised that he's not the army's golden boy this time around. The junta even looks like it wants to hold his and Phra Suthep's feet to the fire over the events of 2010 (though this might very well be for public consumption - only time will tell).

• Like 2

When Abhisit comes out and criticizes the current draft constitution....you can be sure there is something wrong with it!

dang, I gotta agree with you again... thumbsup.gif

I just about nearly chocked when I read that headline. So did my wife when I gave her a translated copy of the article. Only time I think we have agreed with pretty boy. But I dare say I think his concerns will have little effect.

Abhisit ,,, You did nothing about the corruption that was rotting Thailand, you did nothing about international criminal activity at the highest levels Thai society, like human trafficking, the illegal drug export business, ivory trade, endangered species exports and sales, (and on and on) Yingluck did nothing either, nor did any PM and political party since who knows when. So let's stop this US style politics. A lot of things need to be fixed before the likes of previous elected parliamentarians are back in power.

And what kind of check and balance is it or holding the leaders accountable for their actions mean when their is a stipulation that if you help the committee or have remorse you can be exonerated? Basically it means if you do wrong and get caught you will be OK and not have punishment if you feel guilty and admit you did wrong and helped the committee investigation.

"This will be the first time that parliamentary dictatorship is constitutionally created, said Abhisit."

NOT EXACTLY TRUE.

Every Thai military coup leader has set himself up as a PD as specified by the coup's own handcrafted "constitution." But the spirit of what Abhisit says is correct in that the 2014 darft constitution will have the same result as a miitary coup going forward if it is established as the rule of law. This is bad news for Abhisit who would apsire to beome PM again but he recognizes that under the 2014 draft constitution, becoming an elected head of government would be a meaningless label.

This is surely further evidence, that former-PM Abhisit and the Dems are totally in-the-pocket of the amart ... and that his strings are being pulled by the military, erm ... erm ... right ? whistling.gif

I think it shows that the yellow side is not a monolith, homogeneous block. Same as the red side is not a monolith, homogeneous block.

From another thread but equally on topic here

If the new charter forces - accountability - transparency - honesty and introduces checks and balances that make it difficult for corruption - abuse of power - breaking the law and election abuse, then that is exactly what the democracy - the country and its people need, it gets a huge thumbs up from me.

I can also see why politicians don't want it - for once in Thailands political democratic history they will be forced to abide by the rules and law and be investigated and punished (held accountable) for their actions, something that is the norm in the west

But s181 and 182 does not force accountability. It does the opposite.

See, here we go again.
PeaceTv goes and says something, and it gets closed down. Nation newspaper, they say something very similar, and they're allowed to operate.

Here, if it was one of the senior Reds who said this, well, they'd be told to shut up. But, oh look, it's one of the Yellows who is saying this, well, that makes it okay, he's allowed to carry on.

When are we going to see consistency in Thailand ?

See, here we go again.

PeaceTv goes and says something, and it gets closed down. Nation newspaper, they say something very similar, and they're allowed to operate.

Here, if it was one of the senior Reds who said this, well, they'd be told to shut up. But, oh look, it's one of the Yellows who is saying this, well, that makes it okay, he's allowed to carry on.

When are we going to see consistency in Thailand ?

After they launch their space program to the moon from one of their new submarines and then say, no U.S. Flag on the moon, but next month 400,000 Chinese space tourists are coming? :D

• Like 2

Maybe this is how the general intends to reconcile the nation. By having the red and yellow shirts join together to take out the current D word which cannot be said.

There are no yellow shirts - they are long gone

Only redshirt leaders sponsored by Thaksin and the rest of the Thai people who no longer agree with their ideology and methods

Maybe this is how the general intends to reconcile the nation. By having the red and yellow shirts join together to take out the current D word which cannot be said.

There are no yellow shirts - they are long gone

Only redshirt leaders sponsored by Thaksin and the rest of the Thai people who no longer agree with their ideology and methods

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

No yellow shirts....keep dreaming....they just bleached them....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When Abhisit comes out and criticizes the current draft constitution....you can be sure there is something wrong with it!

What Mark has stated is quite correct like it or lump it , Thailand is going backwards faster than a Prayut High Speed Express , and for many Thai's that is not an option.

Ricardo, you are defending the democractic value of a man who boycotted 50% of Thailand general election held under his leadership. I remembered back in December 2013 on CNN, he unequivocally said that he would "welcome an election and that it is the first step towards trying to solve the country problems". 2 weeks later, he boycotted the election.

This is surely further evidence, that former-PM Abhisit and the Dems are totally in-the-pocket of the amart ... and that his strings are being pulled by the military, erm ... erm ... right ? whistling.gif

Wolves or dogs hunt in packs. It doesn't prevent them from being in competition with each other.