Business Development Person (law office)

Thanks for your prompt reply - Its an established law office in Bangkok. They want a Business Development person working with a senior Partner in the firm. I don't think I will have any staff under me to work with, just me and the partner. I have legal background but not in Business Development. Probably a junior position. I don't really know the job description either. Probably is a bit vague but was just trying to pick some brains as to what to quote if they ask me what's my expectation.

Thanks for your prompt reply - Its an established law office in Bangkok. They want a Business Development person working with a senior Partner in the firm. I don't think I will have any staff under me to work with, just me and the partner. I have legal background but not in Business Development. Probably a junior position. I don't really know the job description either. Probably is a bit vague but was just trying to pick some brains as to what to quote if they ask me what's my expectation.

again not very much to work with, in the absence of anything else tell them THB 250k to 300k/m + private medical scheme (BUPA or similar) and see how that bounces and if you can get them to pay your income tax even better

Not trying to be funny but if your getting into this job by virtue that you have done this before, you should have an idea what the package should be, take your "home" package, ie what you would get in your own country for this postion and uplift it 20-25% and use that as the starting point to negotiate

best i can do for you on the info given

• Like 1

Starting positions are around Baht 70k, depending on whether it is an international law firm or not and experience. This is assuming you are a local hire. You would not get anywhere near 250k unless the position was BD manager for the firm.

Edited by GarryP

Thanks guys - I'm thinking they would put me in as a local recruit. I applied for a legal position but they suggested BD role.

What I'm worried is if I ask on a high scale, they won't even negotiate, that has been my past experience with interviews here in Bangkok. But the suggestion of home salary + 20% mark up sounds reasonable.

Thanks again guys for your input.

Cheers

Most companies have a pay scale, so they should not be asking you what you expect to earn...unless its a first interview and they are sorting the dreamers from possibles. You also don't say if you have a law degree, if it's International and English is required...so a lot of questions.

You would probably come in on the low end of that pay level until you pass probation, then potentially move up.

I would expect that sort of role would get a salary range of 60k - 80k, depending on experience, age and how much they want you.

Business Development also implies that you will be required to generate clients, so your package might be a mix of basic and commission.

Could be any thing from Thb 100 k month to Thb 500 k to 1million / depends on the law office I guess, you question is far too broad to answer properly

dream on.

I worked for a Law Firm in thailand before. Senior Laywer & Partners would charge $300 to $350 per hour. (This is not NY or Tokyo or Singapore, so no $1000/hr rates here). Even if they were booked solid for billings for the whole year would struggle to make THB 400k a month after the Grade A office rent gets paid and the house get's it's cut.,

I doubt a non-laywer BD would come close to that. But it's sales after all so upside is limited to your business you bring to the company.

As a guide I'd say 100k or lower base with generous bonus - you can add 50% to that to start negiotiations. If you coming in as a director it may be higher.

Edited by Time Traveller

Hello guys - I do have a law degree. I actually applied for a legal position with this company but they offered me a BD position (interview). I have experience in being a lawyer but not on BD, so I don't think I can demand too much with them yah?

Shall update you guys after I see them.

Thank so much for all the responses, much appreciate it - did give me some idea as to what to look out for.

Have a great day!

Cheers