Thai tourism: Foreign visitors soar 22 percent in April, more coming

webfact

i would at any time take 2-3 asian tourist 2-3 days then a westener 2-3-4 weeks as the asian use the money and go back the westerner usually go for cheap cheap just to stay long so they do not use more then the asians

Again, the only numbers needed are total room nights booked and at what price, then you have RevPAR which is the only meaningful number in the hotel management business.

One Asian tourist stays 2-3 nights compared to the former Western tourists who stayed 2-3 weeks. So arrivals mean NOTHING. We'd need a 700% jump in Asian tourists to make up for the loss of the traditional Western tourists.

They always seem to find a bright spot somewhere in the middle of the mess.

The comment above is correct, total revenue is off by 25-50%, who cares how many arrivals there are.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing can replace a Chinese guy coughing up a lougie and spitting it where people walk under the umbrellas. He did this next to a thai lady renting a chair about 5 down from us. She looked so disgusted she looked like she had seen a ghost.

Well, she'd better get used to it. A whole lot more where that came from ... and on its way.

Edited by hawker9000

The Chinese visiting Thailand are still in the innovative or early adaption stage. You could generalize and call them the more educated Chinese from the middle class.

Wait till the majority is coming. The people in the tourist sector will freak out. I've witnessed the mainland Chinese in Hong Kong. Ear plugs needed.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Chinese visiting Thailand are still in the innovative or early adaption stage. You could generalize and call them the more educated Chinese from the middle class.

Wait till the majority is coming. The people in the tourist sector will freak out. I've witnessed the mainland Chinese in Hong Kong. Ear plugs needed.

Yep , I visited the Shaolin temple when I was working in China. Lovely place ruined by hoards of kitchens , tour guides with Megaphones and every one rushing from one place to another , trying to be first in case they missed out on something. There were some monks doing a Kata (Not sure what the Kung &lt;deleted&gt; ones called) and it was quite graceful , ruined again by local tourist shouting and laughing and pushing to get a good photo angle. Dis guarded food , litter everywhere

Edited by ExPratt

I've been here in Jomtien since February. I thought the Chinese numbers would decline but based on the number of busses I see parked every where it hasn't. Gogos on walking street are being replaced with Chinese oriented shops selling purses, etc. There is a big shop near Baccara agogo. Soon it will all be retail. Inside the gogos I went to (Happy and Baccara) and they were full of Japanese guys. The manager "Tik" said business down and he said Chinese go to soapy massage places like near soi 2.

I was married to a mainland Chinese for over a decade. She has an MBA from UCLA and she told me companies send their staff down to Thailand as a team building exercise. She confirmed that most people who visit here have a limited income. Those with extra money to spend go to the west typically.

The loud way in which they talk is not meant to be rude. When her parents came to visit us in NY it took my wife repeatedly stopping them talking so loudly to get it through to them it was inappropriate.

Could the TV administrators or moderators do everyone a favour and refrain from placing any more press releases from TAT , a 22% increase is plain B/S, TAT seem to have unlimited concession to handling the truth rather carelessly, as it is only the 1st of May, one must assume that they compiled these figures at Xmas lunch. coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

These reports can't be believed .

You have just realized this or are you new here, we get this drivel once a week, we had record breaking tourists for SongKran and it was only the fifth day..

Edited by chainarong

I've been here in Jomtien since February. I thought the Chinese numbers would decline but based on the number of busses I see parked every where it hasn't. Gogos on walking street are being replaced with Chinese oriented shops selling purses, etc. There is a big shop near Baccara agogo. Soon it will all be retail. Inside the gogos I went to (Happy and Baccara) and they were full of Japanese guys. The manager "Tik" said business down and he said Chinese go to soapy massage places like near soi 2.

I was married to a mainland Chinese for over a decade. She has an MBA from UCLA and she told me companies send their staff down to Thailand as a team building exercise. She confirmed that most people who visit here have a limited income. Those with extra money to spend go to the west typically.

The loud way in which they talk is not meant to be rude. When her parents came to visit us in NY it took my wife repeatedly stopping them talking so loudly to get it through to them it was inappropriate.

"She confirmed that most people who visit here have a limited income. Those with extra money to spend go to the west typically."

So there is a fair possibility That Thailand is going to turn into The Tropical Clacton on Sea or Southend if things go really badly

i would at any time take 2-3 asian tourist 2-3 days then a westener 2-3-4 weeks as the asian use the money and go back the westerner usually go for cheap cheap just to stay long so they do not use more then the asians

I'm sure that one day you will get that dream job at TAT that you have always longed for.

Patter beats reality every time.

Not in the real world it doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...