Telephone fee

pac4155

Hi,

Not been on site for some time. Has anyone heard about the 20 THB fee you have to pay for using a mobile phone in Thailand? My Thai wife just got a phone-call from her relatives saying the govt had just introduced a new law as above. It affects everyone, residents and tourists alike. Info/advice required.

I've heard that at some Big C, Lotus and 7-11 locations you can register your SIM and maybe these folks are charging a Bt20 fee to register the SIM. But you can go to your service provider (i.e., AIS, DTAC, True, etc) and do the registration for free. Been several threads on the government's mandatory SIM registration requirement like this one: Link.

If the OP's wife's relatives are anything like mind they can sometimes come up with some misunderstood govt info...gets comical sometimes.

It affects everyone, residents and tourists alike. Info/advice required.

The law or regulation requires you to register your sim card. Depending on where you register there might be a one-time Baht 20 charge, but if you go to customer service for your phone service, it's done for free. The announcement was made months ago, so hardly breaking news.

Edited by Suradit69

ha, went to dtac to register mine a couple of days ago and they had no idea what I was talking about. The staff did not know anything about registration of phines/sims and they had to phone the head dtac office in Bangkok so I could ask them about it, even then they had no idea. Took them over an hour to finally get it right even though my wife was also telling them in thai what we wanted to do. They kept trying to sell me a new sim card, change my phone plan etc, strange thing was it was dtac that told me to register it.