Actual legal speed limits on Thai roads?

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

..and the speed limit on these?

Do a search though and you'll find the speedlimit for personal cars and pickups is the same, but for commercial trucks it is different. Pickups (no matter the number of doors) do not fall in the latter category.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2015 at 2:14 PM, manarak said:

Another question can be about the legal format of signs.

How do we know if a sign has been put up legally or not?

On highway 7, there are legal 120 Kph signs alternating with blinking number signs, i.e. "90'" surrounded by 4 smaller spots in the corner.

Which sign should be observed?

Is the blinking one in a legal format?

I think the latter sign is meant to tell drivers to check their blood pressure and keep it under 90?

What about those signs that are obviously handmade ?

The blinking sign I have in mind has the same hight and general layout as the standard signs. So I never had a doubt about them showing the legal speed limit for that stretch of road. 

However, to add to the confusion, mostly around Bangkok area and often on the elevated expressways, there are about 4 or more meters high, black, "electronic" signs. They always show 80 in yellow print on a black background. 

Does anybody have an idea about those? are they legally binding?

On 5/4/2015 at 9:03 AM, Eneukman said:

My Garmin GPS gives me the speed limit on some roads. Driving along Sukhumwit in Pattaya, it is 80 km / hr whilst once outside Pattaya it becomes 110 km / hr. If I turn off Sukhumwit (either direction) no limit is shown so I assume the limit is therefore 60 km / hr? I've been driving along Route 3 at around 100 km / hr when I notice that my Garmin is showing my speed in red as the speed limit has become 80 km / hr yet no sign to warn me that the limit has become lower.

Thailand really needs to adapt the system in the UK and put up proper speed limit signs on all roads so that everyone knows how fast they can drive legally.

Alan

Yes, but then the police wouldn't get any money. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, Airbagwill said:

The EXPRESSWAYS around Bkk and PATTAY have an 80 km speed limit.

However, to add to the confusion, mostly around Bangkok area and often on the elevated expressways, there are about 4 or more meters high, black, "electronic" signs. They always show 80 in yellow print on a black background. 

Does anybody have an idea about those? are they legally binding?

The EXPRESSWAYS within Bkk ...... have an 80 km speed limit. (Just for the record)

The general speed limit in Bangkok is 80 kph.

If driving on the "motorway" or elevated Bang Na-Trat the limit changes when one gets outside Bkk.

That being said please do not drive at 80 kph in the middle land on a Bkk expressway. You just make yourself a moving road block. Simply use herd mentality and follow the herd. Although truthfully the limit is self enforcing because of congestion and brilliantly designed junctions and steep bridges. 

Edited by VocalNeal

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The EXPRESSWAYS within Bkk ...... have an 80 km speed limit. (Just for the record)

The general speed limit in Bangkok is 80 kph.

If driving on the "motorway" or elevated Bang Na-Trat the limit changes when one gets outside Bkk.

That being said please do not drive at 80 kph in the middle land on a Bkk expressway. You just make yourself a moving road block. Simply use herd mentality and follow the herd. Although truthfully the limit is self enforcing because of congestion and brilliantly designed junctions and steep bridges. 

No, motorways and EXPRESSWAYS are not the same. The EXPRESSWAYS outside Bkk have an 80 limit...and at Pattaya.At present in typical Thai fashion the police don't enforce this.

They are upgrading some expressways motorway status...then the limit is 120.

As for other urban limits they are in reducing it from 80 in many places...these are actually signed and even have de-restriction signs in place.

Until very recently, Thailand only had about 150 km of motorway.

Edited by Airbagwill

To clear up earlier posts about 7 and the fixed 120kph signs versus the digital 90kph signs.

Between KM78 and the end of 7 at Pattaya, these were originally put up to remind drivers that the official speed limit was 90kph, there was a lot of confusion during the upgrading of this section to motorway, coz they were installing the 120kph signs with conflicting 90kph signs, since the official opening of that section as motorway in January this year, then the speed limit is 120kph.

The bigger digital signs on the section from KM78 to around KM27 (Lat Krabang Toll) are there more as an advisory, due to the ramps, oops sorry bridges, which at high speed can launch a vehicle.

I drive this road a lot and go through the speed cameras at 120kph, so far no tickets and they have a few set up now that show your speed, 120 and below is green.

Used to see a lot of cars get pulled on 7 close to the weighbridge nearest to the service area years ago, nowadays the BIB tend to stick to buses and trucks and leave the speeding to the cameras.

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

To clear up earlier posts about 7 and the fixed 120kph signs versus the digital 90kph signs.

Between KM78 and the end of 7 at Pattaya, these were originally put up to remind drivers that the official speed limit was 90kph, there was a lot of confusion during the upgrading of this section to motorway, coz they were installing the 120kph signs with conflicting 90kph signs, since the official opening of that section as motorway in January this year, then the speed limit is 120kph.

The bigger digital signs on the section from KM78 to around KM27 (Lat Krabang Toll) are there more as an advisory, due to the ramps, oops sorry bridges, which at high speed can launch a vehicle.

I drive this road a lot and go through the speed cameras at 120kph, so far no tickets and they have a few set up now that show your speed, 120 and below is green.

Used to see a lot of cars get pulled on 7 close to the weighbridge nearest to the service area years ago, nowadays the BIB tend to stick to buses and trucks and leave the speeding to the cameras.

At one point it wasn't motorway...it is now so the limit is 120.

If it is an expressway, the limit is 80 around Pattaya and Bkk but there seems to be a policy by the police to leave people who are under 120.

11 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

At one point it wasn't motorway...it is now so the limit is 120.

If it is an expressway, the limit is 80 around Pattaya and Bkk but there seems to be a policy by the police to leave people who are under 120.

7 from KM78 to KM0 has always been designated as motorway from build, the stretch from KM78 to Pattaya was not motorway, this section (up to 36) was there long before the motorway section, originally it came from 34, bypassing Chonburi to the Laem Chabang turn off, then was extended to 36 and finally the bit to Pattaya.

I certainly don't miss the days of going from DMK to home on the old road (prior to the overhead going in) through Bangna, Chonburi, Bang Saen, Sriracha etc.

Agreed on the expressway speed limits, I was told that the police pretty much gave up on trying to keep the enforced limit to 80kph, I drive the expressway from central BKK to the start of 7 loads and it would be dangerous sticking to 80kph whilst they flow!

Edited by Mattd

I do a bit of the 7 nearly every day and used to work in Amata Nakorn whilst they were building it........about one week after they opened it, it flooded blocking the 2 southbound outer lanes.........they still have a lot to learn about designing and building tese roads regardless of speed limits.

Edited by Airbagwill

• 1 year later...

I am wondering if to have set your cruise control at the gps stating of 120 for a stretch of road and later you drive past a obvious temp sign plant on the side of the road stating 80kph then receive a fine letter stating you were over the limit of 90kph. then what are they thinking? The stretch I am talking about is on a dual carriage way, no schools no work in progress etc. a money maker yes, but, legally does a change in road speed have to be published /requested on legal documents, concerning the matter except when emergency repairs or accident require it. As it is also in a different district, my local copper stated, let them try and enforce, they don't help us and we sure as hell ain't spending our budget on it, and just let them drive into our country without full written permission, they wont get it. As for revenue refusing to tax your car, 1, they will ignore that! 2, change the ownership to your wife, when you have the Tax change it back. This is the Thailand way!

Edited by phetpeter

6 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

I am wondering if to have set your cruise control at the gps stating of 120 for a stretch of road and later you drive past a obvious temp sign plant on the side of the road stating 80kph then receive a fine letter stating you were over the limit of 90kph. then what are they thinking? The stretch I am talking about is on a dual carriage way, no schools no work in progress etc. a money maker yes, but, legally does a change in road speed have to be published /requested on legal documents, concerning the matter except when emergency repairs or accident require it. As it is also in a different district, my local copper stated, let them try and enforce, they don't help us and we sure as hell ain't spending our budget on it, and just let them drive into our country without full written permission, they wont get it. As for revenue refusing to tax your car, 1, they will ignore that! 2, change the ownership to your wife, when you have the Tax change it back. This is the Thailand way!

Dual carriageways are 90km/h, so if you were driving 120km/h you were obviously going too fast.

Only some parts of motorways allow 120km/h