Actual legal speed limits on Thai roads?

Can anyone tell me the legal speed limit on various Thai roads? I know most drivers don't seem to care but they are not usually posted yet occasionally enforced. A friend just received a fine for 400 baht via the mail for going 139 kph on the road between Tak and Lampang. I once asked a policeman on that same road what the limit was an I believe he said 120 kph. Are the rules documented anywhere online?

Also, what are the repercussions (if any) for receiving multiple fines? Can your license be suspended after a certain number of fines?

80 Km/Hr, but they usually let you do 120 Km/hr. (90km in "City Limits").

When you get stopped, the police will tell you the limit is below what you were doing so the actual legal limit is immaterial!

I was stopped when I was doing just below 120 and the policeman told my wife the limit was 115km; thankfully a lot of laughing and smiling let him wave us on.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me the legal speed limit on various Thai roads? I know most drivers don't seem to care but they are not usually posted yet occasionally enforced. A friend just received a fine for 400 baht via the mail for going 139 kph on the road between Tak and Lampang. I once asked a policeman on that same road what the limit was an I believe he said 120 kph. Are the rules documented anywhere online?

Also, what are the repercussions (if any) for receiving multiple fines? Can your license be suspended after a certain number of fines?

Sadly you will be sent to Indonesia and shot.......thereafter making headline news on TV

When you get stopped, the police will tell you the limit is below what you were doing so the actual legal limit is immaterial!

I was stopped when I was doing just below 120 and the policeman told my wife the limit was 115km; thankfully a lot of laughing and smiling let him wave us on.

City limits is definitely 60km/h

http://www.autoeurope.ie/go/driving-information/thailand/

Speed Limits

Speed limits in Thailand are:

• Town and city: 60 km/h
  • Open Roads: 90 km/h
  • Motorways: 120 km/h
  • Like 2

Speed Limits

I can show you cities in Thailand where the speed limit is 40 so you can scratch that one.

Don't mix up general speed limits and limits by special signs.

If I drive into a town I usually only see this black on yellow signs saying "CITY LIMIT REDUCE SPEED".

Similar like this one:

TASTY48.jpg

In Germany and Switzerland e.g. there are standardized signs showing the name of the place/town/city.

From there the general speed limit applies.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Another question can be about the legal format of signs.

How do we know if a sign has been put up legally or not?

On highway 7, there are legal 120 Kph signs alternating with blinking number signs, i.e. "90'" surrounded by 4 smaller spots in the corner.

Which sign should be observed?

Is the blinking one in a legal format?

I think the latter sign is meant to tell drivers to check their blood pressure and keep it under 90?

What about those signs that are obviously handmade ?

On highway 7, there are legal 120 Kph signs alternating with blinking number signs, i.e. "90'" surrounded by 4 smaller spots in the corner.

I think the latter sign is meant to tell drivers to check their blood pressure and keep it under 90?

Try to discuss with the copper that the sign isn't of the legal format, and thereby you can ignore it. I know who's gonna win the argument. Hint : It wont be you.

• Like 1

These seem to be the general limits on motorways (motorbikes not allowed):

120 for limousine (pickup not depicted?)

100 for buses, lorrys

80 for towed vehicles

post-99794-0-08236600-1430642025_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Try to discuss with the copper that the sign isn't of the legal format, and thereby you can ignore it. I know who's gonna win the argument. Hint : It wont be you.

true, it will be my lawyer if the matter gets serious enough

true, it will be my lawyer if the matter gets serious enough

You would seriously consider using a lawyer ??? O.K. Rule 1 He is NOT your lawyer, he works for himself not for you, he may give you the impression he is working for you because that is what you want to hear, however the harder he appears to work, argue, obfuscate on your behalf the more he will charge. Should by some minor miracle (or sleight of backhand) you win - you will not only have a lawyers bill to pay, but congrats.... you've just pissed off the law. May I suggest a small fine, payable in cash on the spot, smiles, good humor and move on, stress free... you'll live longer, your wallet will stay fat. Reality check - try speeding in the U.K. the fines are outrageous, plus the points system - not to mention 100mph = instant ban, no smiles, no humour, and compared to Thais the police are arrogant obnoxious bastards (with the greatest of respect).... smile you're in Thailand.

• Like 2

Highway 7 - I think you mean between Rayong turn off and past Lam Chebang or thereabouts? I have been conflicted on this for a while.

Fixed 90 signs appeared last year or end 2013 for the first time and then they stuck up some of the signs shown in Khun BenQ's post. More recently they added these flashing 90 signs. Very confusing as often the signs are very close to each other. I am only guessing but I think the 120 limit is meant to be for when the road officially becomes a toll road but they have not covered them up as they would in the west until the right time.

Let us know if you get stopped and what the BIB say will ya.....biggrin.png

My Sygic navigation system on the iPad gives a constant max speed indication.

On major roads through urbanisations a 90 limit typically drops to 80.

• Like 2

Speed Limits

I can show you cities in Thailand where the speed limit is 40 so you can scratch that one.

If there are NO road speed signs in cities or towns the speed limit is 60 kph. If there are speed signs, then that is the speed limit for that road but sometimes they are hard to see, hidden behind trees etc.