My Compliments to Local Thai Car Drivers

FolkGuitar

I don't usually drive a car in Chiang Mai, preferring to use a motorbike instead. When I need a car (once every 4-5 months,) I rent one. Usually that's for a vacation trip out of town. But this week we had visitors and needed to rent a car for several days, mostly using in in and around the city with just a few forays beyond the Ring Roads.

Between the daily traffic jams, the drivers making three (if not four) lanes where only two exist, the selors making sudden stops blocking ALL traffic while they pretend not to know where the passengers want to go, slowing down the flow of traffic even further, I'm absolutely amazed that this city isn't a hotbed of Road Rage!

But it's not! All the local drivers seem to keep cool, calm, and collected. I'd never seen a jam up as severe as what we passed through inside and outside of Chiang Mai Gate last night, exacerbated by the motorbikes squeezing through spaces too small for a push bike, yet I never heard a single horn sound during the hour and a half it took us to get through.

My hat's off to all of Chiang Mai's local drivers. If this were Houston, Paris, or Moscow, bullets would have been flying, horns would be blasting, and people would be shouting out their windows at each other. Not so in Chiang Mai. My compliments to all the Thai drivers for their patience.

Edited by FolkGuitar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish many of them would drive a bit quicker though. And not wait for all clear lanes before merging into a main road to then take a right turn or U turn later, but just merge into the left-most lane, gain some speed and then move over to the right for that U-turn.

I wish many of them would drive a bit quicker though. And not wait for all clear lanes before merging into a main road to then take a right turn or U turn later, but just merge into the left-most lane, gain some speed and then move over to the right for that U-turn.

There are a lot of driving 'conventions' that would improve the flow of traffic here, these being among the worst.

There are also a multitude of driving 'laws' that would improve the flow of traffic, to say nothing about reducing the accident rates. Some of the driving I saw last night made my blood run cold.

But it was the 'mai pen rai' of it all that struck me deepest. People were content to drive despite all of these problems, and do so with a cool head on their shoulders. That really impressed me.

It always surprises me how slow folks are to pull away when the light turns green. Even the fast guys who squeeze into a non existent space inside/in front, like they were going to a fire.

And it cant just be that they are afraid someone will run a red coming across because many junctions are very clear but still painfully slow to pull away leaving the queue behind stranded when their green changes colour.

But the lack of hooting may have more to do with fear than tolerance surely...

I think it's unnatural not to get upset or impatient when somebody has triple parked when they could have parked at the curb and holds up the flow of traffic while they've run in for an iced coffee. They must put Prozac in the drinking water here.

Just for information regarding Thai drivers not using their horns the same way some people from many Western countries do:

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Title 1: Use of Vehicles

Section 14 (500B)
[Cars and motorcycles can use the horn only when avoiding danger or accidents.]

Things may have changed and this is from an English translation. It has been a few years since I found this tidbit.

Just for information regarding Thai drivers not using their horns the same way some people from many Western countries do:

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Title 1: Use of Vehicles

Section 14 (500B)

[Cars and motorcycles can use the horn only when avoiding danger or accidents.]

Things may have changed and this is from an English translation. It has been a few years since I found this tidbit.

so you think that drivers who flaunt every possible driving law miraculously obey the "do not honk" law section 14(500b)

The wife actually remarked to me earlier this week that the "faranger" is creeping into Thai motorists; starting with more use of the horn and selfish attitude with letting people in.

Isnt it true that if you don't swear and get angry at other drivers then you are not concentrating?

The two most frightening manoeuvres I have to contend with; firstly; this ridiculous idea that Thais want as many people as they can to join them on the roundabout.

So they stop to let you in! I dont want to join; keep the traffic moving ejit. Now when i am on the roundabout I know I have right of way but some 'ker decides I am going to let him in and thats scary.

Secondly the u turn. As a sitting duck in a queue with cars tonning past, it only takes one car to clip the tail of the queue and it has massive consequences for the whole line. Then they do the u turn, so slow and take up the 3 lanes doing it. How often do you see two lines of racing cars having to screech to a halt to let the u turners through.

they can help improve both the above with traffic control lights.

It always surprises me how slow folks are to pull away when the light turns green. Even the fast guys who squeeze into a non existent space inside/in front, like they were going to a fire.

And it cant just be that they are afraid someone will run a red coming across because many junctions are very clear but still painfully slow to pull away leaving the queue behind stranded when their green changes colour.

But the lack of hooting may have more to do with fear than tolerance surely...

I see the opposite. Many locals like to pull away whilst the light is still on red. They look at the other lights when they turn red there is a few seconds delay before the traffic lights they are stopped at turn green. Many times everybody sets off on red and gains 2 seconds! If you hold your ground and wait for green its almost like you are stupid one to the other road users. I see this a lot in the city.

"The wife actually remarked to me earlier this week that the "faranger" is creeping into Thai motorists; starting with more use of the horn and selfish attitude with letting people in."

You might point out to the wife that the "faranger", unlike Thai's always let people in when those people are in an ambulance.

In parts of "farangerland" when someone flashes their lights it means "I see you, go ahead". There is no signal for that here. Flashing lights mean "I am bigger or more important than you so screw the law, I'm coming through!" Selfish much? Don't get me started!

Yes, this gets to me too. So much so that you can reliably count on a big gap opening somewhere in the queue, so an advantage is actually you can just jump the queue, pass 20+ cars and then reliably find more than enough of a gap to merge back in and still make the light. ;)

I don't think that's bad, I'm just reclaiming wasted road space to make better use of it. If I did that in Europe though then I'd be in serious trouble. ;)

The wife actually remarked to me earlier this week that the "faranger" is creeping into Thai motorists; starting with more use of the horn and selfish attitude with letting people in.

Isnt it true that if you don't swear and get angry at other drivers then you are not concentrating?

The two most frightening manoeuvres I have to contend with; firstly; this ridiculous idea that Thais want as many people as they can to join them on the roundabout.

So they stop to let you in! I dont want to join; keep the traffic moving ejit. Now when i am on the roundabout I know I have right of way but some 'ker decides I am going to let him in and thats scary.

Secondly the u turn. As a sitting duck in a queue with cars tonning past, it only takes one car to clip the tail of the queue and it has massive consequences for the whole line. Then they do the u turn, so slow and take up the 3 lanes doing it. How often do you see two lines of racing cars having to screech to a halt to let the u turners through.

they can help improve both the above with traffic control lights.

U-Turns are a killer indeed.

I am amazed no one has taken umbridge with this nonsense!

Thailand has a very low murder rates in the world, ranking 106th of 218 countries listed! (just slightly worse than the US which ranks 111th)

Source: wikipedia wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Don't worry, it gets let out one day. Typically 30 years worth in one quick go.

23,000 firearm related homicides per year. 4th highest in the World.

Letting it out bit by bit seems like a better way to live, to be honest.

Edited by Rotweiler

It's hard for me to believe after so many years driving here, that Thai drivers will still not move over for an Ambulance......it's as if they are so scared of losing their place in the queue and sod the poor bugger trying to have his life saved.

They soon move over for a convoy of flashing lights though.

Yes it is unbelievable how patient they are

He in Oz they would be tooting the horn plus abusing them

Yes Aussie drivers would be ropeable, especially when they see ignorant, impatient drivers pushing in ahead and making 4 lanes where there are only two. This is common practice in Pattaya and it makes my blood boil.

The only possible explanation for what we see and have to negotiate on thai roads is that at the moment many/most thai drivers turn on their engine the key they are holding simultaneously turns off their brain.

I also believe that some cultural traits in the Thai make-up do not lend themselves to being able to manage a vehicle in any kind of proper way. The interesting thing is that plenty of thai drivers are okay and can negotiate their vehicles without endangering other road-users and without causing conditions for possible road-rage.

I personally believe in the power of education, and we all know that passing the driving test here is hardly complicated, and that's assuming that individual citizens have decided to even bother with taking this test.

I have often wondered if, just for one month, what would happen if a whole bunch of thai drivers were plonked onto the streets of england, and a whole heap of english drivers were plonked onto the streets of thailand. I believe in both countries there would be a significant decrease in the populations - in england people would be killed by dangerous drivers and in thailand people would be killed from the massive rise in road rage.

I just spent a few days in Petchabun and the area we traveled mostly; (right in town near the jail) had 2 sets of traffic lights out of action evidently awaiting replacement; the traffic through there was sweet-as, moving well with none of the problems and buildup when the lights are working.

I just spent a few days in Petchabun and the area we traveled mostly; (right in town near the jail) had 2 sets of traffic lights out of action evidently awaiting replacement; the traffic through there was sweet-as, moving well with none of the problems and buildup when the lights are working.

Thank you for bringing this thread back in the positive direction in which it was started.

Thank you for bringing this thread back in the positive direction in which it was started.

So opinions that state the opposite aren't welcome?

That doesn't sound like 'normal' human interaction to me.

Would it be better if everyone agreed with you?

Amazing how such patient drivers in the city turn into aggressive, speeding, unsafe drivers on the ring roads and highways. I experienced this yesterday with a very quiet, gentle female. On the highway she was changing up and down gears, getting to 120 in an older 4WD and passing whenever possible. Glad to get home intact

The reason that they do not sound their horn is that they do not want to get shot! I suggest that you follow the same advice.coffee1.gif

Remember the German that was shot to death in Chiang Mai for flipping the bird to a Thai driver a year or so ago.

Keep it all in in in then explode and shoot over a small slight to one's ego.

Personally, I would prefer them being praised for driving sensibly while they berate those driving poorly, rather than them driving poorly and being praised for not beeping at each other (for fear of being shot).

"The wife actually remarked to me earlier this week that the "faranger" is creeping into Thai motorists; starting with more use of the horn and selfish attitude with letting people in."

You might point out to the wife that the "faranger", unlike Thai's always let people in when those people are in an ambulance.

In parts of "farangerland" when someone flashes their lights it means "I see you, go ahead". There is no signal for that here. Flashing lights mean "I am bigger or more important than you so screw the law, I'm coming through!" Selfish much? Don't get me started!

I don't want you to think I'm trying to be clever, but your thing about 'flashing' is a major irritant here.

First, and this is what I mean, the Thai's actually have it right. I believe the UK Highway Code states that flashing you light merely means 'I am here'. (stand corrected if I'm wrong).

However, we have developed a culture in the UK as described in your post - and it works, by showing courtesy.

But here in Pattaya, if you hang back in slow moving traffic creating a gap, with a vehicle trying to cross in front of you, and you flash your lights, more often than not the other vehicle won't move.! Suddenly you have to stop as you are then not sure what he/she is going to do. Many times I've rolled down the window and and waved the car across.

The reason and my big irritant?............Those blacked out windows that do not allow for any visual contact between drivers. I wonder how many misunderstandings are caused by that?. They ought to be banned, at least on the windscreen, as they are in the UK.

Of course, it could simply be that the majority of Thai drivers do not encounter courtesy driving and are totally bemused. Dunno!