The Scotland Thread

Jockstar

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of pals and myself had set ourselves a little teaser until we meet up again next Sunday.

01 Since WW2 pick an English team

02 Since WW2 pick a team from UK and Ireland

03 Any time foreigners (not 01, 02) that have played in UK

I have 5 scots to consider for #02.

Dave Mackay

Kenny Dalglish

Jim Baxter

John white

Denis Law

Any suggestions?

On 9/12/2017 at 4:37 PM, owl sees all said:

A couple of pals and myself had set ourselves a little teaser until we meet up again next Sunday.

01 Since WW2 pick an English team

02 Since WW2 pick a team from UK and Ireland

03 Any time foreigners (not 01, 02) that have played in UK

I have 5 scots to consider for #02.

Dave Mackay

Kenny Dalglish

Jim Baxter

John white

Denis Law

Any suggestions?

Davy Cooper

1 hour ago, Jockstar said:

Davy Cooper

Thanks for that JS. You know I could only just remember him. I looked him up on the fooball sites and read more. A very talented footballer.

"Dutch international Ruud Gullit played against Davie Cooper in a friendly match for Feyenoord against Rangers, after which he called Cooper one of the greatest players he had ever seen. Gullit later named Cooper in his greatest XI in football magazine 4-2-4."

The two that I'm inclinded to put up into my team are Richard Gough and Colin Hendry.

• 4 weeks later...

Scotland appear to have a repertoire of failure that is seemingly inexhaustible when it comes to negotiating final hurdles.  Yet, it should be noted that this time the seeds were sown in the early games.  Indeed, a draw against Slovenia is a decent result, as they are pretty useful on their own mud heap.  Also, they drew with England and beat Slovakia- a work in progress perhaps!  It would be a mistake to lose Strachan!

As an Englishman, it's interesting to consider why the EPL based players have been eclipsed by their SPL peers: because of course England as a team draw from the EPL, and they too are woefully underperforming.

• 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Belgium are a huge nation with 200m people...oh wait....!

No words for that apart from freck off you Eenglish barstids.

Yeah.yeah yeah if u included all the scot's that have left their homeland..  the 5 mil pop difence would probably b a lot smaller ?as 4 the quality disparity ... who knows   but one things 4

sure ATM your team is more than struggling its proper crap..and looks a long long  way from emerging as a force

33 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah.yeah yeah if u included all the scot's that have left their homeland..  the 5 mil pop difence would probably b a lot smaller ?as 4 the quality disparity ... who knows   but one things 4

sure ATM your team is more than struggling its proper crap..and looks a long long  way from emerging as a force

Sterling you gimp.

Probably up until the end of 70s, maybe in to the 80s, Scotland used to produce great individuals and a lot of very decent quality internationals.
1. What's the theory behind why that stopped and in recent times there's no great or decent players?
2. Who was the last great player produced?

^In an effort to answer my own questions (above) i had a read around and found this great long article from 2004, in which the reasons for the decline listed are many, the decline commenced around 1985 (seems to fit with my memories of Scottish players over the decades) and "...Lambert and Collins being the last world class players produced in Scotland, it is, of course, debatable as to whether they are that but, what is not up for dispute is that..." (Lambert i didn't see alot of but i was an admirer of Collins in that great Fulham footballing side).

The Death of Scottish Football
http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/86426396656/the-death-of-scottish-football

8 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Can someone kindly post a link showing how to ignore a poster on here since one of them is utterly deserving of it.

Thanks.

Hover above the username of the member you want to ignore and a window opens up. At the bottom is "ignore user" click on that

Archived