Texas cartoon contest organizer known for inflammatory rhetoric

webfact

Cartoon contest organizer known for inflammatory rhetoric
By MEGHAN BARR

NEW YORK (AP) — The Prophet Muhammad cartoon contest that exploded in violence over the weekend in Texas was organized by Pamela Geller, a New Yorker who rails against Islam with such ferocity that one of the nation's top civil rights groups lists her in its "extremist files."

WHO IS PAMELA GELLER?

Geller, 56, is head of an organization called the American Freedom Defense Initiative. Through websites, books, ad campaigns and public events, Geller has been warning for years that Islam threatens to destroy the U.S.

She famously led the campaign in 2010 — under a different group, called Stop the Islamization of America — to prevent the opening of an Islamic community center blocks from the World Trade Center site. She called it the "ground zero mosque."

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit organization that tracks hate groups, keeps a dossier on her in its "extremist files," calling her "the anti-Muslim movement's most visible and flamboyant figurehead."

The law center describes her as "relentlessly shrill and coarse in her broad-brush denunciations of Islam" and notes some of her more sensational claims, including that President Barack Obama is the "love child" of Malcolm X.

"I don't think that many Westernized Muslims know when they pray five times a day that they're cursing Christians and Jews five times a day," she was quoted as telling The New York Times in 2010.

In 2009, she wrote on the conservative site Newsmax that "devout Muslims should be prohibited from military service. Would Patton have recruited Nazis into his army?"

A divorced mother of four, Geller grew up on Long Island and worked on the business side of The New York Daily News in the 1980s, later becoming associate publisher at The New York Observer, according to a Times profile. She received nearly $4 million in her divorce settlement in 2007, the Times reported.

The cartooning contest in Garland, Texas, was offering $10,000 for the best depiction of Muhammad. In an interview with The Associated Press last month as the contest was being organized, Geller called it an attempt to stand up for free speech and said: "We will not bow to violent intimidation."

LEGAL ACTION

Geller has been involved in numerous lawsuits across the U.S. in recent years, many of them related to her attempts to display incendiary ads in public transit systems.

Most recently, New York City's transit authority banned all political advertising after a judge upheld Geller's right to run bus ads about Islam that said, "Killing Jews is worship that draws us close to Allah."

In 2012, the transit authority was forced to run Geller ads that read: "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad."

She paid for similar ads in San Francisco, Detroit and Washington.

In 2013, Geller and a colleague were barred from entering Britain to attend a march that ended in the London neighborhood where a British soldier was killed by Islamic extremists.

FINANCIAL BACKING

American Freedom Defense Initiative took in nearly $160,000 in 2012 and $960,000 in 2013, according to tax filings. It did not list any donors. Geller made $192,500 in 2013, records show.

The organization's 2013 tax form also lists a related tax-exempt organization called Jihad Watch, with an address in Manchester, N.H.

A recent report by the Center for American Progress, a think tank in Washington, said Geller's top donor included the Fairbrook Foundation, which gave $253,250 to Jihad Watch. The Fairbrook Foundation supports a number of mainstream conservative groups.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-05

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good for PAMELA GELLER. Her methods might be disturbing, but her message needs to be heard. wink.png

The Southern Poverty Law Center have made major screw-ups, so not to be taken too seriously. They also described the Family Research Council - a conservative Christian organization - as a '"hate group" , because of their traditional stance on marriage. FRC were attacked by an armed terrorist who admitted he chose his target based on the the Southern Poverty Law Center web site. An affidavit filed in the case stated that the attacker had told the guard of the building that 'I don't like your politics.'

Edited by Ulysses G.

When will we see an AP article detailing the terrorist connections, tax returns, and marital status of the people behind the "Stand with the Prophet Rally" in the same Garland convention hall back in January?

Quick...someone sign this woman up as another quality poster on TVF...inflammatory rhetoric is what gives this forum class...

Edited by ggt

Good for PAMELA GELLER. Her methods might be disturbing, but her message needs to be heard. wink.png

The Southern Poverty Law Center have made major screw-ups, so not to be taken too seriously. They also described the Family Research Council - a conservative Christian organization - as a '"hate group" , because of their traditional stance on marriage. FRC were attacked by an armed terrorist who admitted he chose his target based on the the Southern Poverty Law Center web site. An affidavit filed in the case stated that the attacker had told the guard of the building that 'I don't like your politics.'

well, its nice to have a clear picture of where you stand on hate speech.

nice to have the bigots on board revealed.

Yeah, a 'Draw a cartoon Muhammad' is just a normal event in Texas.

A pathetic attempt by bigots to provoke and does absolutely nothing to address the problem of Muslim extremism.

what part of fee speech don't you understand? are you from the UK? and what would you do to address the muslim extermism? they destroy anything that does not agree with them, they behead men women and children, they have sex with goats(,check out the military videos of the "muslims banging a goat before trying to attack an outpost). no wonder they are looking for 72 virgins!

Where I stand on FREE SPEECH. It is protected in USA.

Typical ploy of those on the Left. Blame the victim. In this case, it's Geller and her event. The cartoon exhibit was legal, peaceful, and in the tradition social/political satire that runs throughout American life. Now, those who wish to stifle, control, and limit speech to officially sanctioned speech are out to attack the victims of an attempted terror/murder attack. SOP for the Left.

A pathetic attempt by bigots to provoke and does absolutely nothing to address the problem of Muslim extremism.

what part of fee speech don't you understand? are you from the UK? and what would you do to address the muslim extermism? they destroy anything that does not agree with them, they behead men women and children, they have sex with goats(,check out the military videos of the "muslims banging a goat before trying to attack an outpost). no wonder they are looking for 72 virgins!

The right to freedom of speech can be used much more gainfully than the equivalent of poking something until it bites back.

This particular stunt, and that is all it is, will achieve absolutely nothing except highlight how clueless the organisers are.

There are far more constructive ways to debate extremism of any form than to deliberately do something that offends even moderate groups of a religion with no intent at anything else. Make no mistake, this was a provocation, nothing else.

As for freedom of speech, I personally believe there should be limits. For instance, I would deny paedophiles the right to describe their sick fantasies and I hope most would agree.

As for freedom of speech, I personally believe there should be limits.

You mean like drawing harmless cartoons, because they might offend someone? Might as well just ban free speech completely.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The right to freedom of speech can be used much more gainfully than the equivalent of poking something until it bites back.

This particular stunt, and that is all it is, will achieve absolutely nothing except highlight how clueless the organisers are.

There are far more constructive ways to debate extremism of any form than to deliberately do something that offends even moderate groups of a religion with no intent at anything else. Make no mistake, this was a provocation, nothing else.

As for freedom of speech, I personally believe there should be limits. For instance, I would deny paedophiles the right to describe their sick fantasies and I hope most would agree.

There are far more constructive ways to debate extremism of any form than to deliberately do something that offends even moderate groups of a religion with no intent at anything else.

Please clarify. If the "moderates" become "offended," then they will ally themselves with the "extremists?" Over a cartoon? Maybe they weren't moderates to begin with?

One thing to remember is that all terrorists and jihadists were at some point "moderate Muslims" Its just a matter of pressing the right buttons.

Islamists feed on the same rulebook, the Quran as other Muslims. The peaceful majority are irrelevant.

There are far more constructive ways to debate extremism of any form than to deliberately do something that offends even moderate groups of a religion with no intent at anything else.

Please clarify. If the "moderates" become "offended," then they will ally themselves with the "extremists?" Over a cartoon? Maybe they weren't moderates to begin with?

Finding something offensive does not make a moderate an extremist.

It is well known that depiction of the Prophet Muhammad can cause offense so it begs the question why do it? It serves absolutely no useful purpose.

If you want to fight extremism do it constructively and not by ignorant provocation.

"Moderate" Muslims have no influence over extremist Muslims because they live amongst them and they are terrified of them.

But in the civil wars coming our way in the near future the moderate Muslims WILL take the side of the extremists. So can we stop talking about "moderate" Muslims please!

Not sure if you're on the right side of this one....

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/04/opinions/moghul-texas-shooting-gellar/index.html

When someone puts a crucifix of Christ in a botle of piss and call it art no one goes out and grabs a gun. These sicko terrorists have to learn that free people can do and say as they please as long as it is within the law. People have a right to be stupid and do outlandish things like the Piss christ for example. If you don't like it thats too bad. Open discussion and debate cannot be stifled because some bozo gets offended.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/04/opinions/moghul-texas-shooting-gellar/index.html

I'm sure. I know a lot about Pamela Geller. I find her a bit extreme, but on the side of good. The opinion of the Muslim, left-wing apologist in your article does not sway me much as I have read him before and know where he is coming from.

If I was her, I would watch my back!!

If she dies then it would be a good thing. This is why I'm against (absolute) free speech and support Prayut in his checks on the media.

Where I stand on FREE SPEECH. It is protected in USA.

Free speech in USA ? you have been abroad for a while, don't you?

Circular reasoning. Ulysses questions the SPLC's legitimacy and you respond with an article by a man who justifies his point of view by citing the SPLC.

If she dies then it would be a good thing.

No. It wouldn't. She is well within her rights in a democracy that guarantees free speech. Only the usual hateful loons would support murder for sponsoring a cartoon drawing contest.

When someone puts a crucifix of Christ in a botle of piss and call it art no one goes out and grabs a gun. These sicko terrorists have to learn that free people can do and say as they please as long as it is within the law. People have a right to be stupid and do outlandish things like the Piss christ for example. If you don't like it thats too bad. Open discussion and debate cannot be stifled because some bozo gets offended.

Just try to do the same with a Buddha figure here, and see how nice and civilized the people will be...

We all know that this texan event (one of the less racist state of course) did this for only one purpose :give the fingers to the Islam religion. Not only the extremists but all the muslims community.

I don t hear a lot about chistian cartoons in USA and i am quite sure it is never happening.

The truth is plain to see, Islam is replacing tolerance and freedom of speech with the murderous violence of the Third World and 7th Century barbarism.

Edited by stander

The truth is plain to see, Islam is replacing tolerance and freedom of speech with the murderous violence of the Third World and 7th Century barbarism.

What is your view about buddhists in Burma who kill muslim minority?

Just try to do the same with a Buddha figure here, and see how nice and civilized the people will be...

We are not living in a democracy and the incident did not happen in Thailand. Try the same thing in American and the most you could expect is a big YAWN.

You have never seem anti-Christian cartoons in America? Are you serious?

Recently in my ultra-liberal city of Portland, I found myself driving behind a car with just one bumper sticker. "So many Christians," it read, "So few lions."

http://www.rense.com/general87/drt.htm