Motorist kills, injures cyclists in another such tragedy

Thaivisa News

25 Responses to this thread already.

Yet everybody living in Thailand know that the person who was driving the car will leave the police station in a few days and continue his normal life and his insurance will pay for the damages.

Blows my mind.

Only in Thailand you will be jailed for 18 years if you say or write the truth about somebody but walk spot free if you kill a lot people.

"Love this country"?
For what reason?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand should create a legal presumption of intoxication for anyone who runs. It should be presumed he ran to hide intoxication. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and this agreed presumption should be a condition of driving whether licensed or not.

There should also be heavy penalties for leaving the scene which would compound the penalties.

It should now be presumed that this driver ran because he was intoxicated, and intoxication should bring a presumption of being at fault. Failing to stop and render aid should also be a crime for the driver.

Drivers seem to believe that running is the answer to avoiding trouble when to the contrary it should compound the troubles.

Doing a runner after an accident carries very little penalty here as far as I know.

...so, it makes sense to leg it.

..and if you get caught you can always invent an excuse like 'I panicked' etc

The general reason for running and turning yourself in to police at another location, is because Thai crowds far too often go mental and beat the driver senseless, just because they are enraged. Doesn't matter the circumstances, the sobriety or the fault, the driver gets mauled far too often. So drivers usually take off fast.

Edited by animatic

Not helping injured people - 10 years jail minimum. Doesn't matter intoxicated or not. Leaving badly wounded people suffering on the scene only thinking about yourself is LOWER than low. Piece of filth.

RIP to the victim who died.

Before they require drivers to render aid to victims, they need to put in place good Samaritan laws that protect the drivers from being prosecuted if their "help" is seen to cause further injury, as help from the untrained is prone to do.

It would also be helpful to put in meaningful punishment for vigilante justice that often sees drivers who don't do a runner beaten and even killed by angry bystanders and folks from the other vehicle.

The long term residents I work with, all tell me the best thing to do in an accident with injuries is to get away, contact the company attorney, and let him deal with it. And these aren't Thai guys. These are Brits, Canucks and Yanks.

Yes, that's true. On the other hand in the one instance I required the assistance of 'good samaritans' ( having fainted and cut my head open because of a low blood pressure issue) they were readily forthcoming...all Thai and they assistance they rendered was wonderful. I suspect it is the guilty and guilt-ridden who hide behind the good samaritan issue as a way to flee in a cowardly manner.

buddy of mine was passing an accident and stopped to help someone who'd fell off his bike. when the guy came round he pointed at my buddy and claimed to anyone who'd listen he'd ran him off the road and demanded money!

best to just drive by..

Not helping injured people - 10 years jail minimum. Doesn't matter intoxicated or not. Leaving badly wounded people suffering on the scene only thinking about yourself is LOWER than low. Piece of filth.

RIP to the victim who died.

Before they require drivers to render aid to victims, they need to put in place good Samaritan laws that protect the drivers from being prosecuted if their "help" is seen to cause further injury, as help from the untrained is prone to do.

It would also be helpful to put in meaningful punishment for vigilante justice that often sees drivers who don't do a runner beaten and even killed by angry bystanders and folks from the other vehicle.

The long term residents I work with, all tell me the best thing to do in an accident with injuries is to get away, contact the company attorney, and let him deal with it. And these aren't Thai guys. These are Brits, Canucks and Yanks.

Yes, that's true. On the other hand in the one instance I required the assistance of 'good samaritans' ( having fainted and cut my head open because of a low blood pressure issue) they were readily forthcoming...all Thai and they assistance they rendered was wonderful. I suspect it is the guilty and guilt-ridden who hide behind the good samaritan issue as a way to flee in a cowardly manner.

buddy of mine was passing an accident and stopped to help someone who'd fell off his bike. when the guy came round he pointed at my buddy and claimed to anyone who'd listen he'd ran him off the road and demanded money!

best to just drive by..

I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this one.

I've lived in thailand for over 30 years and although I've seen changes in the infrastructure of Bangkok, how people have become more materialistic and a plethora of other changes, one constant remains.

The traffic laws.

You can still drive the wrong way up a one way road (I think these cyclsts were). You have to wear a seatbelt while driving and sitting in the front seat, but you can pile 50 people into a pick- up truck. Taxis still cover thier windowns with stickers and film, even though it was made illegal after too many rapes and deaths ... to name but a few.

I drive to work at the speed limit of 80km/h on the tollway and EVERY vehicle passes me!

Thailand should introduce the driving license points system and licences should be taken away from bad drivers in 1 year, 10 year and life time bans. Insurance companies could easily change their policies and charge exobitant rates for convicted drunk driver and wreckless drivers.....

Several things, (1) As a young lad in Georgia (USA) I was taught to walk and ride my bicycle facing the traffic. (2) A little late at night to be riding in an improperly lighted area. (3) Car may heave been stolen or plates stolen otherwise what is the point of running unless you fear for your life.

Lastly, Where is the Red Bull Twerp that killed the Policeman ?? Seems like running, especially if your are well connected is the way (The locals) take care of business !! Manslaughter is a way of life some places !!

Rest in peace young man !!

Police will summon the car owner to be questioned.

<deleted> is that about ... oh please Hi So kid would it be too much trouble to pop along to the police station to have a chat?

Arrest his sorry ass and then throw the book at him. 20 years should do the trick.

Thainess ... what a f joke.

Several things, (1) As a young lad in Georgia (USA) I was taught to walk and ride my bicycle facing the traffic. (2) A little late at night to be riding in an improperly lighted area. (3) Car may heave been stolen or plates stolen otherwise what is the point of running unless you fear for your life.

Lastly, Where is the Red Bull Twerp that killed the Policeman ?? Seems like running, especially if your are well connected is the way (The locals) take care of business !! Manslaughter is a way of life some places !!

Rest in peace young man !!

After the accident that killed that cyclist the other day I asked the same question... it does appear that running is acceptable and then stating you're too ill to travel back to Thailand is also acceptable. I wonder if anyone ever thought there would be justice for the cop that was killed.

Thailand should create a legal presumption of intoxication for anyone who runs. It should be presumed he ran to hide intoxication. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and this agreed presumption should be a condition of driving whether licensed or not.

There should also be heavy penalties for leaving the scene which would compound the penalties.

It should now be presumed that this driver ran because he was intoxicated, and intoxication should bring a presumption of being at fault. Failing to stop and render aid should also be a crime for the driver.

Drivers seem to believe that running is the answer to avoiding trouble when to the contrary it should compound the troubles.

Imagine a court system that automatically presumed, without proof, that a person was this or that. The notion that anyone in the future would ever get a fair trail would be ridiculous.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do you live in Thailand.... Leave it to the Thai people to set their own laws.... if you don't like living here... there's the door... and please shut it behind you..! alt=facepalm.gif>

I think you may find NeverSure is a distant admirer of Thailand from the peace and comfort of the Greatest Nation on Earth.

There is no Greatest nation on earth and if you are referring to the USA forget. It is far from great never mind greatest. It isnt bad but ha a long way to go to get the words great or greatest

The laws in the US are pretty strong if you leave the scene of an accident. I was involved in a minor accident years ago. The other driver basically told me to <deleted> off, it wasn't his fault, and then left. Luckily, I stayed put and called the police. When they showed up they just said it was the other drivers fault as he left the scene of the accident. His insurance paid for the damage.

I can't say I'd ever leave the scene. It's just been too ingrained that leaving the scene has dire consequences. But this isn't Kansas (or Texas) and it seems the consequences of sticking around here outweigh the consequences of running off and then turning yourself in later.

And people all over the world are conditioned to act according to the perceived consequences. It's not just Thailand...

When working in Africa we were instructed, if involved in a motor vehicle accident get to the nearest police station, do not try and deal with the crowd at the scene.

However we had a big company on our side that had fostered a healthy relationship with community officials.

My wife did tell me if you are driving through a village and accidently hit a dog or god forbid a child the villagers are quite possibly going to beat the crap out of you.. I would stop regardless especially if it were a child.

Thailand and all the vehicles that travel many of it's narrow roads is really a traffic controllers nightmare with all the different speeds involved. How many times have you been stuck in traffic behind trucks battling it out for who can pass while both of them are so overloaded they can't even shift to second gear. Motor bikes and tok toks doing anywhere from 15 to 45 in a speed zone of 90 causes recklessness for many who are trying to get someplace.. Seen much of that due to frustrated drivers. No lights at night really is a big problem especially in the country.. Add speed and being drunk.... It becomes a recipe for teeth, hair, and eye balls all over the highway.

Just an observation, and most certainly not an excuse or absolute reason for these terrible accidents, but in either case did the bikes have lights?

I say this because I don't think I have ever seen a bike with lights on after dark in Thailand.

I have been riding in Thailand for 21+ years and can't remember the last time I saw a

cyclist without lights before sunup or after dark. Of course there most certainly must

be some around, I just don't recall seeing any over the past few years.

And my neck o' the woods is home to a few hundred serious Thai riders.

Police will summon the driver ?

What's wrong the going out and getting him or her ?

Do they know who the driver is or isn't a case of asking the registered owner who was driving first ?

I think you'll find that the car was stolen.

Just an observation, and most certainly not an excuse or absolute reason for these terrible accidents, but in either case did the bikes have lights?

I say this because I don't think I have ever seen a bike with lights on after dark in Thailand.

There are many cyclists who come around here and they all have little blinking lights front and back. Quite a common sight in these parts

Until someone important gets hit and killed by a drunk driver who then flees the scene ... nothing will change

Life is meaningless and has no value

People just do not care

Just read about a lady in Roi Et who got beaten to death in front of witnesses and noone did anything

Such a sad disgusting state of affairs and this is in part why Thailand is a 3rd world country

I read with sorrow the post regarding the Chiang Mai victims at the hands of a drunk driver...

I have just read again with sorrow the tragic accident claiming yet more victims, added to which the "alleged" guilty driver left the scene of the accident.

To most of us foreigners it seems abhorrent, which indeed it is !!

But this is Thailand, it has it's own culture & laws, what is acceptable or not acceptable here is very different than that to which most of us have been brought up to understand or tolerate in a modern society...

But we have a choice to stay or to leave, if you stay then you take your chances with everyone else on the roads...

If you choose to vote with your feet & leave then you will sleep peacefully at night & no longer be subjected to bad news back in your country of choice to reside in...

Leaving the scene of an accident should be mandatory jail time corresponding to the seriousness of the accident.

I would believe that every civilized country in the world currently makes leaving the scene of an accident a crime. If we elect / or appoint the right judges, then they know how to sentence an individual, as you point out, as to the seriousness of the accident. Mandatory sentences remove the judge from deciding on the seriousness of the accident, which you propose. 3 Strikes, a law in the states which made 3 felonies a mandatory life sentence, allowed people convicted of the smallest felony in the world for their 3rd strike, subject to this, and proved a failure. You cannot just put a bar code on someone shoulder and use that to determine their sentence. Too harsh, removes reasoning, and good judgment.

Insure the driver not the car.....uninsured driver....no coverage.....create the point system, save lives....sucks but its the only option.....that way when you get caught over the limit...your premiums skyrocket....

drunk drivers commit murder........

25 Responses to this thread already.

Yet everybody living in Thailand know that the person who was driving the car will leave the police station in a few days and continue his normal life and his insurance will pay for the damages.

Blows my mind.

Only in Thailand you will be jailed for 18 years if you say or write the truth about somebody but walk spot free if you kill a lot people.

"Love this country"?

For what reason?

It is so nice to have a Thai lawyer handling accident cases join this forum with his knowledge of what happens in Thailand will all criminals. Keep sharing your wisdom.

I once cautioned a cyclist that he could not be too careful when riding cross country in Thailand...got all kinds of flack from TVF purists...these last few days have made my point...

"Discover Thainess!" - wow, that campaign is really doing the trick this year, doesn't it?

RIP to the victim, condolences to family and friends, fast and thorough recovery to the other victims.

I stay in touch with the city that my children live in, in the US. Their newspaper had an article today about all of the recent motorcycles accidents, and the deaths involved. It is not just Thailand. It is the world. Why do so many feel that Thai bashing will cure this problem? Alcohol?

Adelaide, Australia, because of the low level of traffic, is very bike friendly with numerous bike lanes throughout the city. Most of these on major roads. I used to enjoy taking advantage of these, riding for pleasure. However, as a motorist, I found many of these lycra-clad riders had no respect for the rules of the road. They would block a lane by riding three abreast, weave in and out, verbally abuse you and sometimes hit your car if you gave a warning beep on your horn. It should be seen as a privilege for bike riders to share the roads, since it is the motorist who pays the taxes for new and repaired/upgraded roadworks. Share the roads by all means, but within the law and safely.

This doesn't lessen the sadness I feel with this tragic incident, the injuries and loss of life. Motor vehicles can be murder weapons and, especially for bike riders, the utmost care must be taken when on the road.