US calls for speedy inquiry into Thai mass grave

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the US is doing about getting to the bottom of this evil trade, for having a go at Thailand and laying the blame at their door will do nothing to stop it as it originates in and is organized from other countries.

Are they in fact chasing others such as the point of departure or the end buyer neither of which is Thailand.

Farther to that is the Malaysian military and government working on their side of the border, which if what I read elsewhere is true, is poorly defined in that area and some these camps may in fact be in Malaysia. If not why not ?

The fact that this camp and the graves have been found by Thai authority shows that they are attempting to do something about it (at last), can the same be said about other countries involved ?

I hope Thailand is not just the convenient whipping boy here and the indignation at this is directed widely.

Lets just start at at the top and work down.

I wonder what the US is doing about getting to the bottom of this evil trade, for having a go at Thailand and laying the blame at their door will do nothing to stop it as it originates in and is organized from other countries.

The US has done its part. It has downgraded Thailand to the lowest tier on its trafficking in humans report. It has also imposed sanctions on Thailand (albeit not aggressive, yet). Thailand is the transit hub for smuggling and trafficking of humans in the region . Why work at so many ends, when you can kill it in the middle?

The rest of your questions are already answered above.

A few questions for you.

Where is every other developed country in the world on these crimes?

Why is are no other countries demanding the same things or imposing sanctions?

Why do you bitch about what America does, and dont bitch about what other countries dont do????

Are they in fact chasing others such as the point of departure or the end buyer neither of which is Thailand.

Farther to that is the Malaysian military and government working on their side of the border, which if what I read elsewhere is true, is poorly defined in that area and some these camps may in fact be in Malaysia. If not why not ?

The fact that this camp and the graves have been found by Thai authority shows that they are attempting to do something about it (at last), can the same be said about other countries involved ?

I hope Thailand is not just the convenient whipping boy here and the indignation at this is directed widely.

The US has done its part. It has downgraded Thailand to the lowest tier on its trafficking in humans report. It has also imposed sanctions on Thailand (albeit not aggressive, yet). Thailand is the transit hub for smuggling and trafficking of humans in the region . Why work at so many ends, when you can kill it in the middle?

A few questions for you.

Why do you bitch about what America does, and dont bitch about what other countries dont do????

Thailand is only one link in the chain and not a very important one to the smugglers for they can easily bypass Thailand and the trade will continue. The US or anyone else can not kill this horrible trade by castigating and sanctioning Thailand alone.

The only way to stop it is to go for the head which is not in Thailand.

If my questions have already been answered please point me to where it says Malaysia is actively pursuing these people and where it says that Bangladesh and Burma are working to stop the smuggling.

The rest of your post is a deliberate misinterpretation of what I have written, I never mentioned other western countries only those where the trade originates and the end buyer, those are the countries that must be targeted if this trade is to be stopped.

As for what the US does, would you like a full rundown of their disastrous foreign policies over the last 50 or so years ?

Post after post condemning the U.S. but not a word of anger regarding this vile trade in humans or any sympathy expressed towards the victims. There truly are some nasty pieces of work on here.

Thanks for the link, not sure many did bother to read it ?

I believe this was from 2005 an the world had 12 million slaves working for us. The world has digressed so much in nine years, there are now 36 million. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/11/18/map-the-worlds-36-million-slaves/

Unfortunately even the most vigilant/conscience person has no idea most products they/we use and eat come from slave, forced and/or child labor.

Six police officers transferred pending investigation into hidden Rohingya graves

BANGKOK, 5 May 2015 (NNT) – Royal Thai Police Commissioner Somyot Pumpanmuang would reportedly transfer the commander of Satun Provincial Police and five other policemen at Padang Besa sub-district in Sadao district of Songkhla in connection with the discovery of 26 graves of Rohingya migrants.

Police General Somyot told reporters that warrants had been issued for eight people, four of whom had been arrested. The arrested men were Myanmar nationals between 40-48 years of age. Police believe state officials have been involved in running the hidden shelters. Pol. Gen. Somyot said he was transferring the head of Satun Provincial Police, Police Major General Soontorn Chalermkiat, because of the latter's close ties to the masterminds of the Rohingya trafficking ring, who were residing in Satun.

Amazing how they can immediately arrest the Burmese involved in trafficking, but can't seem to ever find the Thai government officials who masterminded the scheme. Transfer a few low ranking police officers to other posts, while the masterminds are free to continue their crimes.

Surely it is because no Thai would do such a thing.

A few questions for you.

Thailand is only one link in the chain and not a very important one to the smugglers for they can easily bypass Thailand and the trade will continue. The US or anyone else can not kill this horrible trade by castigating and sanctioning Thailand alone.

The only way to stop it is to go for the head which is not in Thailand.

If my questions have already been answered please point me to where it says Malaysia is actively pursuing these people and where it says that Bangladesh and Burma are working to stop the smuggling.

The rest of your post is a deliberate misinterpretation of what I have written, I never mentioned other western countries only those where the trade originates and the end buyer, those are the countries that must be targeted if this trade is to be stopped.

As for what the US does, would you like a full rundown of their disastrous foreign policies over the last 50 or so years ?

So you cant answer the questions then? You just spout nonsenses and when caught out, you deflect or move on. How very typical of you.

Yet, again US sticking it's nose into other countries activities; enough issues for US to fix in it's own backyard....civil unrest, police shootings,unemployment,etc, etc.

Yes how right you are. This is Thailand and if you don't like the fact 50 people have been killed and left in shallow graves then go home and make sure the door doesn't hit you on the arse on the way out.

Again just because these mass graves are being found in Thailand doesn't mean it has anything to do with Thailand.

What is wrong with these people trying to blame everything on the Thai's.

If you don't like.............. Oh done that already.

Yet, again US sticking it's nose into other countries activities; enough issues for US to fix in it's own backyard....civil unrest, police shootings,unemployment,etc, etc.

Quite right. No-one should raise their voice in the face of human rights atrocities and just allow them to carry on, especially those with the clout to do something about it. What planet are you on?

Absolutely, especially countries with any unemployment should refrain from criticizing other countries until they have tackled this heinous stain on their human rights record!crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

A few questions for you.

My thoughts exactly. Still waiting for Germany, England, Australia, etc to weigh in

on this issue. Hope I do not have to wait too long... Thailand has already demonstrated

that they will do nothing without pressure, so I say crank it up.

In fact if they keep on digging up bodies from tortured refugees, America may have

to create a special Tier 4 level for Thailand. Working refugees without wages on fishing

boats is one thing, but holding them in cages and torturing them while extorting money

from their families is NOT going to go down well.....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Again just because these mass graves are being found in Thailand doesn't mean it has anything to do with Thailand.

What is wrong with these people trying to blame everything on the Thai's.

If you don't like.............. Oh done that already.

How can you say that it's not a Thailand problem! Are you so full of yourself that officials and cops in the area are get round up. This is not something that just happened for a week or two. This bs has been going on for along time and people most like got paid off to look the other way. Thais know what's going on in their backyards. They just look the other way and get paid for it. Shame on all you people who are defending this. These people are fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. It makes me sad to see some of these comments. I wish I could grab you people by the neck and show you what a mass grave looks like and throw you in it and watch you weep. And I've seen mass graves in Bosnia. It will scar you forever!

It's an appalling realisation when a country wakes up to the fact that among the population live people capable of such sociopathic, bestial behaviour.

Thailand is by no means the first or only example, and nor is it likely to be the first and only country to fail to prosecute those responsible to the full extent of the law. It is a sad fact that, when such depravity reaches to the highest echelons of society, the State as often as not covers up such crimes; certainly that was and perhaps is the case with the pedophiles in government in the UK.

It's an appalling realisation when a country wakes up to the fact that among the population live people capable of such sociopathic, bestial behaviour.

Thailand is by no means the first or only example, and nor is it likely to be the first and only country to fail to prosecute those responsible to the full extent of the law. It is a sad fact that, when such depravity reaches to the highest echelons of society, the State as often as not covers up such crimes; certainly that was and perhaps is the case with the pedophiles in government in the UK.

The beastiality of these people is made worse by the fact that the people

at the top will be wearing the uniforms of government workers. With modest

outside pressure, there will be a few small fish caught in the net. With

heavy pressure and massive trade sanctions looming, you will then see

some big fish in the net. Last year there was a big story about the military

and the police being involved in moving refugees around in police trucks.

Notice how that faded away......

Regarding your comment about State cover ups of abuse in high places there is no 'perhaps' about it. Prosecutions and appropriate punishments for acts of depravity are only for the 'little people', the upper echelons of society who are probably the worst and most depraved abusers are always protected. It was ever thus!

This depravity is appalling. Rather than having enough concern and empathy for other human beings who have been tortured and killed by the dozens and showing some sympathy for the victims, the morally blind want to criticize the US for trying to stop it.

It's pretty easy to see why there could be 1400 young girls sexually molested in the UK and why the Australians mistreat their indigenous people. They are filled with hate and totally depraved.

Regardless of what someone thinks of the US he should be cheering it on for trying to stop this. Apparently few care at all about the victims or the future victims if someone - anyone - doesn't stop this.

Yeah I know, change the subject, go off topic and talk about what the US does wrong. It's irrelevant to this issue which must be stopped.

"The United States . . . called on Monday for a speedy and credible inquiry"

Hah! Thailand, they got your number! Best of luck getting off that "Human Trafficking" list NOW!!!

Still a developing country, but developing into WHAT defies logic.

From BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29673120

A snippet from the article

Senior figures in the police and the social welfare ministry are resisting his efforts to have all the Bangladeshi men classified as victims of trafficking.

The second group of 53 has already been given that status, which gives them proper support and shelter, and would allow them to go back to Bangladesh quickly.

However, the police are talking about reversing that decision. Instead, they want then to be jailed as illegal immigrants.

It is difficult to know why they want this outcome, for people who have all the appearance of victims.

Perhaps it is to avoid having to admit that trafficking continues in Thailand. Perhaps it is because they are reluctant to go after the trafficking kingpins.

The result, though, could be disastrous for the Bangladeshis. People have been known to be stuck in Thai immigration prisons for many years. In the case of Rohingyas, some were actually sold back to human traffickers.

How Thailand handles the case of these men will surely be a test of its declared willingness to turn its back on a shameful record of trafficking, and take meaningful action to end the trade in people.

Yet again, America-haters missing no opportunities to take a gratuitous swipe. Relax. The U.S. isn't sending troops ...

"enough issues for US to fix in it's own backyard"

Would that have been true during WWII and the Holocaust as well? The U.S. had plenty of domestic problems then, including segregation, rural poverty & hunger, and violent gangsterism... Should it have stayed home & kept quiet? I'm sure Hitler would've like that (Churchill not so much).

There's a point to be made, but there's a fine line between sticking the national nose where it doesn't belong and interfering in other countries' internal affairs, and calling out genuine humanitarian outrages. I think this clearly falls into the latter category. Sometimes national governments must speak up & step up; to insist otherwise just isn't realistic and invites atrocities

Edited by hawker9000

I am assuming that the EU would be at the top of the list of countries calling for an end to trafficking and an inquiry into these mass graves if they were not occupied with the situation in the Mediterranean.

These people are being murdered and they are dying for no good reason. There are people in official positions involved. How sad that some can criticize the messenger.

Quite shameful, really.

Thanks for the link, not sure many did bother to read it ?

I believe this was from 2005 an the world had 12 million slaves working for us. The world has digressed so much in nine years, there are now 36 million. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/11/18/map-the-worlds-36-million-slaves/

Unfortunately even the most vigilant/conscience person has no idea most products they/we use and eat come from slave, forced and/or child labor.

The report in the link I provided is current 2014 figures, and the total based on a summery of the slave trade in 2012 mentions a figure of 20.9 million people.

Yes, people not just numbers in a report. People like us with senses and emotions like ours, dreams and ambitions that would never have included the nightmarish reality of the treatment they were exposed to by their captors.

Forget about the other counties for now, this is about Thailand and Thai people and they must be stopped in the name of all that is decent.

Quite right. No-one should raise their voice in the face of human rights atrocities and just allow them to carry on, especially those with the clout to do something about it. What planet are you on?

He must be on planet 'Thailand'.

Six police officers transferred pending investigation into hidden Rohingya graves

BANGKOK, 5 May 2015 (NNT) – Royal Thai Police Commissioner Somyot Pumpanmuang would reportedly transfer the commander of Satun Provincial Police and five other policemen at Padang Besa sub-district in Sadao district of Songkhla in connection with the discovery of 26 graves of Rohingya migrants.

Police General Somyot told reporters that warrants had been issued for eight people, four of whom had been arrested. The arrested men were Myanmar nationals between 40-48 years of age. Police believe state officials have been involved in running the hidden shelters. Pol. Gen. Somyot said he was transferring the head of Satun Provincial Police, Police Major General Soontorn Chalermkiat, because of the latter's close ties to the masterminds of the Rohingya trafficking ring, who were residing in Satun.

Amazing how they can immediately arrest the Burmese involved in trafficking, but can't seem to ever find the Thai government officials who masterminded the scheme. Transfer a few low ranking police officers to other posts, while the masterminds are free to continue their crimes.

Surely it is because no Thai would do such a thing.

In Australia we have what is called a Transfer Station. This is where you take your rubbish from time to time when you have stuff that won't fit in the bin (which is collected weekly). These transfer stations contains a lot of rubbish, which, when the station is getting a little full, the authority then takes to the 'tip' - a large hole in the ground.

What I want to know is, in Thailand, when all these corrupt cops are transferred, do they go the Transfer Station? . . . . And after that, a hole in the ground?

This is a disgrace.....the US, Un and The EEC should immediately downgrade Thailand and impose sanctions! There is thai politicians, government officials and thai police involved according to the thai media. Impose sanctions till things change in that country. Also, boycott all thai seafood prodcuts worldwide....better still boycott all thai prodcuts period. enough of talking and reports......

What else would like to do and make all Thais suffer? Because that is what you are suggesting, slap sanctions onto Thailand and telling the rest of the world to boycott all Thai products.

Here is a link to an article that might be of interest to you and you can start trying to call for the UN, ICC, EU and any other organisation to get involved.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/06/chicago-police-torture-victims-deal

Chicago agrees to pay $5.5m to victims of police torture in 1970s and 80s

It took the US only 40 years to sort that mess out and if you dig into the history of the case you might find that people also died in police custody. Punishment was only given to the head of the police – 4 years in prison in 2010 – and the rest of these officers walks free because of the limitation rules within the law. I hope you change the word Thai in your comment and replace it with US and get it onto a US forum page.

This is a disgrace.....the US, Un and The EEC should immediately downgrade Thailand and impose sanctions! There is thai politicians, government officials and thai police involved according to the thai media. Impose sanctions till things change in that country. Also, boycott all thai seafood prodcuts worldwide....better still boycott all thai prodcuts period. enough of talking and reports......

What else would like to do and make all Thais suffer? Because that is what you are suggesting, slap sanctions onto Thailand and telling the rest of the world to boycott all Thai products.

Here is a link to an article that might be of interest to you and you can start trying to call for the UN, ICC, EU and any other organisation to get involved.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/06/chicago-police-torture-victims-deal

Chicago agrees to pay $5.5m to victims of police torture in 1970s and 80s

It took the US only 40 years to sort that mess out and if you dig into the history of the case you might find that people also died in police custody. Punishment was only given to the head of the police 4 years in prison in 2010 and the rest of these officers walks free because of the limitation rules within the law. I hope you change the word Thai in your comment and replace it with US and get it onto a US forum page.

Thailand is perfectly free to impose its own sanctions on the U.S...