Thai police eye cyclists' safety

ROAD ACCIDENT
Police eye cyclists' safety

Kittipong Maneerit,
Jessada Jantarak
The Nation

30259378-02_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- POLICE are considering measures to promote bicycling safety after two accidents claimed the lives of four riders recently.

The first accident took place on Sunday when a car ploughed into a group of cyclists in Chiang Mai, causing three deaths. The second accident happened the following day in Bangkok, injuring three riders, one fatally.

"We have to find measures to prevent such accidents from recurring," deputy national police chief General Ruangsak Jarit-ake said yesterday.

He said cyclists, on their part, should wear reflective gear and turn on bicycle lights while riding at night. And they should try to stay on the shoulder of roads.

Meanwhile, Ruangsak said police would man more checkpoints to deter drunk drivers, a main cause of road accidents.

Referring to Monday's accident, Khok Kram Police superintendent Colonel Kittichet Sakkayaphapwichanont said yesterday that they would summons Saran Intanon, the driver of the vehicle that hit the cyclists.

Available information indicates that Saran, 23, was quarrelling with his girlfriend who was a passenger in the car at the time of the accident, police say.

Saran stands charged with reckless driving causing death.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-eye-cyclists-safety-30259378.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-06

Eyeing cyclists safety, yes eyeing and that will be about all BUT WAIT A MINUTE, isn't the PM interested in cycling, bike lanes etc so maybe, just maybe... !

Another short lived, non-existent even, crackdown, purge etc on the cards ?

Sobriety checkpoints to stay around the clock to check driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs

5-5-2015-10-09-24-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police has ordered all sobriety checkpoints to extend checking for drivers under the influence of alcohol and drugs for 24 hours following two car incidents in which four bicyclists were killed in two separate car accidents in Bangkok and Chiang Mai provinces in two days by drunk drivers.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Prawut Thavornsiri said normally police at roadblocks would end alcohol checks at around 2.00-3.00 am.

“So if you are drinking and then decided to leave after that time, no checkpoints will be on the road to check your drinking,” he said.

He said therefore the police have decided to extend the time for checkpoints around the clock and to cover risk areas continually. He also said that the police would hold discussion with cyclists on prevention measures against future similar accidents.

The police stressed that if cyclists needed to use the main roads for their routes, they must have cars leading and driving after their groups, or they must coordinate with the local police to ask for assistance in providing better safety.

The police would also discuss the expansion of more bicycle lanes in the capital city with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) as well, he added.

(Photo : ThaiPBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sobriety-checkpoints-to-stay-around-the-clock-to-check-driving-under-the-influence-of-alcohol-and-drugs

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-06

Riding in a group in this country can be dangerous, these are only some of the many cycling accidents involving groups of riders I have heard about in the last few years. I nearly always train alone, I ride close to the edge of the road in the same space as someone would walk in. To be hit by a vehicle. that vehicle would have to leave the road. Riding alone allows one to concentrate fully on cycling safely and watching and listening to other road users. Of course, there are the loose cannons out there. The drunks, the people partying in their vehicles, overloaded trucks, people watching TV as they drive, people driving on the wrong side, small boy gangs on motorbikes etc..

I find this article offensive, it is almost as though they are blaming the cyclists for the slaughter recently by two drunken drivers, the first paragraphs should read

BANGKOK: -- POLICE are considering measures to promote bicycling safety after two drunk drivers claimed the lives of four riders recently.

The first carnage took place on Sunday when a car driven by a drunk ploughed into a group of cyclists in Chiang Mai, causing three deaths. The second carnage happened the following day in Bangkok, when another drunk driver ploughed into cyclists injuring three riders, one fatally.

"We have to find measures to prevent such incidents from recurring," deputy national police chief General Ruangsak Jarit-ake said yesterday.

He said motorists must be discouraged from getting behind the wheel when drunk with strict policing and stiff penalties for those caught, cyclists should wear reflective gear and turn on bicycle lights while riding at night. And they should try to stay on the shoulder of roads.

Lets be very clear - the cyclists are in no way to blame for what happened in these two incidents, the blame clearly lies with the serious problem of drunk drivers and drinking and driving in Thailand and the authorities lack of action to deal with the problem effectively, a crackdown is not the answer, the actions of police in addressing this prolific problem needs to be constant with consistent proactive policing of the roads especially during the evening and early morning, traffic laws and penalties also need to be amended to deal with drivers who leave the scene of an accident were serious injury or death has occurred introducing automatic heavy fines and jail terms for perpetrators of such crimes.

Edited by smedly

Sigh...

How about instead of having another crackdown, why on earth do these people not just properly enforce the traffic regulations they presently have.

As far as I am aware, in Thailand it is still illegal to:

1) Drive a car or motorcycle without a valid license

2) Drive while under the influence of alcohol

3) Drive on the wrong side of the road.

4) Drive more than 40 km/hr faster than the designated speed limit

5) Park a vehicle in parking prohibited areas

6) Operate a mobile phone or similar device while driving

7) Apply make-up while driving

etc etc etc etc

Just proper enforcement of the above instead of arbitrary judgement on the spot by twits in uniform will go a long way to solving a lot of problems.

I am studying for my driving test in the USA now and one thing stuck out to me is when passing, one cannot drive over the posted speed limit in any situation meaning if one is going the speed limit or near it, one cannot pass w/o breaking the law...

I am responding to the posted list above that says 40km over the designated speed limit is illegal. This must be wrong?

What's missing from this list is pedestrians and bicylists must be respected/aware of at all times and have the right of way meaning drivers must yield to them in all cases/all the time...

I just don't see how this desired mindset can be changed/complied with in Thailand (given how things are now here)?

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

I'm not sure about the Bangkok incident, but I'm quite familiar with the location of the Chiang Mai one, as I used to ride bicycle on that route regularly. It happened a little north from this place, but the same road.

post-151225-0-64544700-1430877161_thumb.

The shoulder is marked here as a bicycle and motorcycle lane. The road is wide, 2 lanes per direction, absolutely straight and in the early hours, the traffic is very light. On the pictures from the accident, the members of the group were wearing proper safety equipment. I would say they did all the precaution they can, there no way it can be blamed on them. It's outrageous that the police even suggests that.

"We have to find measures to prevent such accidents from recurring.

Prohibit Thais from driving vehicles.

He said cyclists, on their part, should wear reflective gear and turn on bicycle lights while riding at night.

Bicycle lights!! You've got to be kidding! You still haven't convinced motorbike riders to replace bulbs in pre-existing built in lights.

blink.png

Just another isolated episode of "Kneejerk policing" ... Carry on.

The checkpoints are a good idea, but unless they are frequently moved to different areas the people will quickly learn to go around them. More laws are not the key either, all the laws in the world won't do any good if they are not enforced. Education and peer pressure would help, but there will always be those who think they are different and can get away with it.

It's not just a Thai problem either, our county back home had roving patrols, called "drunk driving emphasis patrols", the official in charge of overseeing these patrols was busted for drunk driving one night. People just can't make responsible decisions once their minds have been altered by alcohol, and that includes the decision whether they are too drunk to drive or not.

QUOTE:

" - "We have to find measures to prevent such accidents from recurring," deputy national police chief General Ruangsak Jarit-ake said yesterday.

Start your search at your nearest primary school, dear general. You clown. This is not a flipping game. You are a general, your title carries some weight. Get off your fat, lazy asss and get your teeth into a real campaign for road safety - knock down doors, batter heads, scream from the battlements, do whatever, but DO SOMETHING.

But I know you won't.

I often note that bicyclists in Thailand -- with their high-end bikes and racing uniforms -- do not have mirrors on their bikes or one of those dental-type mirrors attached to their helmet or glasses.

Whether it would have made any difference in these recent fatalities, I don't know. But in my experience, it certainly helps to be able to see who is approaching from behind.

Edited by JLCrab

QUOTE:

" - "We have to find measures to prevent such accidents from recurring," deputy national police chief General Ruangsak Jarit-ake said yesterday.

Start your search at your nearest primary school, dear general. You clown. This is not a flipping game. You are a general, your title carries some weight. Get off your fat, lazy asss and get your teeth into a real campaign for road safety - knock down doors, batter heads, scream from the battlements, do whatever, but DO SOMETHING.

But I know you won't.

While he is searching for the lost "measures" why not just make bike lanes that cannot be entered by cars? OHH! sorry forgot, that would be too easy. This is after all Thailand and here everything must be done in a completely different way from any other country.

Riding a bicycle yeah in moo ban maybe or a small local road with speed bumps. gonna take a long time before thailand will have decent bicycle roads specially in the big cities. If they have space for that be sure you will have some kind of vendors blocking it.

I drive my scooter infrequently but when I do I drive fast as necessitates to not be in someone's blind spot, not have someone to close in front or behind me. Since I stopped driving and any alcohol consumption I've zero accidents or close calls.

But riding a bicycle you are basically unable to get out of dangerous situations. Yesterday some western lady was out in the middle of a major road peddling her slow ass. When she gets run over, and she will, its her own fault.

If your stupid enough to bicycle in the worlds 2nd most dangerous place for road accidents then get life insurance and don't act surprised when you get hit.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/119892/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

I have mentioned this before now is the time to teach children safety on the roads and in my opinion there should be tv coverage by the police and posters displaying DRINK BUT DONT DRIVE.i am sure if these are adhered to there may be a decrease in fatalities on the roads.

posters displaying

DRINK BUT DONT DRIVE.i am sure if these are adhered to there may be a decrease in fatalities on the roads.

....and an increase in alcoholics.

How about "DON"T DRINK AND DRIVE"

blink.png

In the early hours around Phuket (6am) I have come across cyclists 3 a breast chatting and none wearing anything more than a helmet

no safety vest or high vis gear and maybe the odd one will have his flashing rear light on

Not what I would call safe cycling

In the early hours around Phuket (6am) I have come across cyclists 3 a breast chatting and none wearing anything more than a helmet... Not what I would call safe cycling

"Anything" more than a helmet"! Completely naked from the ears down! Definitely unsafe. Too distracting to drivers!

maybe the odd one will have his flashing rear light

Odd indeed! Considering they're naked! The mind boggles!

blink.png

Edited by Fullstop

1. Thailand has some very good traffic laws. The RTP just need to enforce the laws on the books new laws will not help. Place police on the roads in cars or motorcycles 24 hours a day

Make the RTP enforce the laws as described in the laws.

Stiffer fines and imprisonment with loss of drivers licenses. Let the RTP earn their money just by enforcing the laws on the books NOW. This applies to all the laws not just Traffic Laws.