What is the maximum insurance for a rental car

steve654

I still don't understand it all, but can I get full insurance from a car rental agency when I rent a car so if something happens there is no $$ out of my pocket? I read all these stories that is about it is 50/50 that a foreigner will get blamed no matter who is at fault so I want to be extra careful just in case. I forget now, but I thought I had read that Thailand does not offer much car insurance to cover everything. Is this true?

I think you might get better replies over in the insurance forum. Let's move this topic over there. If we don't get some good replies, maybe we can move it over to the motoring forum.

Good question and I'll be following this to see how it goes.

Topic Moved.

The reputable hire car companies offer CDW insurance but normally with a large excess, you can pay the car hire people to take out excess cover insurance but normally they are quite expensive. I normally use a separate insurance company to cover my excess, just google Hire Care Excess Insurance and you will find loads of companies. The insurance you get with the car will be fine apart from the excess, one thing if you are involved in an accident here is to immediately contact the insurance company who will send out a representative who will deal with the Police and all paperwork. If involved in an accident do not sign or say anything until the insurance agent is with you.

I usually use AVIS or SIXT at BKK airport and they charge 214 B per day for their supercover which will make the excess payment zero. Never had a problem with any of them.

Sounds good, but have you ever actually had an accident and a claim, to verify your "never had a problem" statement?

I usually use AVIS or SIXT at BKK airport and they charge 214 B per day for their supercover which will make the excess payment zero. Never had a problem with any of them.

Sounds good, but have you ever actually had an accident and a claim, to verify your "never had a problem" statement?

I was wondering about that myself.

The reputable hire car companies offer CDW insurance but normally with a large excess, you can pay the car hire people to take out excess cover insurance but normally they are quite expensive. I normally use a separate insurance company to cover my excess, just google Hire Care Excess Insurance and you will find loads of companies. The insurance you get with the car will be fine apart from the excess, one thing if you are involved in an accident here is to immediately contact the insurance company who will send out a representative who will deal with the Police and all paperwork. If involved in an accident do not sign or say anything until the insurance agent is with you.

I did google it thanks, but lets say an accident happens....does that mean now that I have to call and wait for two insurance agents. One from the car rental company and the other from the excess insurance company?

When she was working my wife was responsible for rentals to the company for staff and she always used AVIS. She had a rental herself for over a year. Vehicle damage was a fairly regular occurrence, not her I should point out, and it was always dealt with without a problem.

Always rent from a reputable international brand company like AVIS who offer a specific Collision Damage Waiver as mentioned above.

I was quite aghast several years ago to read the fine print in a contract from a Thai mom ad pop rental company. Basically, it said that you are responsible for the vehicle regardless of insurance or fault. Furthermore it went on to say that you are responsible to pay for all days whilst the vehicle is out of service for repairs.

Needless to say- I didn't hand my credit card over to these people!

Always rent from a reputable international brand company like AVIS who offer a specific Collision Damage Waiver as mentioned above.

I was quite aghast several years ago to read the fine print in a contract from a Thai mom ad pop rental company. Basically, it said that you are responsible for the vehicle regardless of insurance or fault. Furthermore it went on to say that you are responsible to pay for all days whilst the vehicle is out of service for repairs.

Needless to say- I didn't hand my credit card over to these people!

Best Advice ,well said,also Hertz the Ford Folks.thumbsup.gif

Yes I had minor accidents with scratches and had to fill in forms when returning the car. In both cases no payment or other problems. Both accidents were with AVIS cars and no counterparts as I had run into come concrete on the side of the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I did something similar with Hertz for about the same price. The total bill was around 500B per day.

Never seen a small rental company here yet that offers cover with zero excess, and I suspect that many dont have valid cover for rentals at all.

I did google it thanks, but lets say an accident happens....does that mean now that I have to call and wait for two insurance agents. One from the car rental company and the other from the excess insurance company?

No only the local insurance company will send an agent, the excess insurers will reimburse the excess that you had to pay the hire company.

Archived