Bangkok Hit-and-Run driver charged, released from police custody

webfact

IIRC, wasn't the car also reported stolen by its owner back in March?

Indeed, indeed....very fishy as this story, their STORY, starts to unravel.

Have to wonder what crimes you have to commit to get locked up.

Also have to wonder if we know all the facts.Who does this driver know,how much money has changed hands.Is it important that it was a stolen car,Why did he run away,what about the fact that he did actually kill someone.There are a lot of un-answered questions. like all these crimes,he is now free to carry on his life as though it never happened. He has now already PAID for his crime !!!!!!!coffee1.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the charges or causing death? fleeing an accident? driving a stolen car

Cannot say I am surprised as he showed up with his lawyer and 250 000 for bail

Sure everyone with half a brain new bail was a forgone conclusion

He will be sharing a condo with someone in Singapore soon :)

It beggars belief!

He kills someone on the road, injures others, and they let him go?

He'll be driving again right now!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Does CSI LA send invoices for services rendered to Prayuth or to the head of Police?

Another rich kid with no humanity.

Please dont mention that name, they are not considered a reliable source on this forum... Coconuts and siickman however....

The mind boggles as the ad revenue rolls in

I would agree that accidents do happen & our illustrious leader is promoting cycling & building more "cycle" paths whuch due to the nature

of Thais is going to cause more tragedy.

Need to look at the logic rather than the theory. Motorbikes think more cycle lanes are the bees knees & how can they be kept off them? There is no one to enforce it.

Cycling on Bankoks roads will always be russian roullette & should be banned on all main roads.

Still cannot get helmets on motor bike taxis in the middle of Bankok (saw 2 on Wireless this morning)

so how do you control anything else

But on the other hand notice that not one bike in picture has headlight or reflector on them. But they got cell phone and tablets though.

There are a number of factors to consider...

• His speed in relation to the speed limit and that suitable for that road at that location.
  • Whether indeed the bikes did have lights/reflectors.
  • how the bikes were being ridden.
  • Street lighting.
  • His manor of driving.
  • His fitness to drive.

Reckless driving could be hard to prove so possible one reason not to hold him in custody.

But more too the point why has he and others not been charged with giving false information???

Maybe 6 months in the monkey house for giving a false name would send out a message "Thailand is Changing for the better"...

"Thainess" in all it's glory.

What do you mean by this?

"Thainess" refers to Thai art, culture, traditions and customs.

Are you really suggesting that this behavior is representative of all Thais? If so, you are highly mistaken.

I expect you are just a tourist and or haven't lived here long?

I'm sorry but, is the report saying he was only identified because of the actions of a FB user?

That is what the report says. However I'm not sure if he was identified before or after he turned himself in. It is very hard to get hard facts about this and there is a lot of speculation going on. At one time people on FB were claiming the car was stolen. Seems that was wrong.

Edit: I trust the Thai police and a lawyer to do the right thing more than I trust a mob on FB. If this really was just an accident it is just sad all around for everyone. I don't know where this happened and if it is a safe area for bikes but really seeing people ride bikes on highways and mountain roads is just asking for trouble. Sooner or later....

You trust the thai police?? LOL

I trust them to do the right thing more so than an internet mob. I would never claim to "trust police".

I'm sorry but, is the report saying he was only identified because of the actions of a FB user?

That is what the report says. However I'm not sure if he was identified before or after he turned himself in. It is very hard to get hard facts about this and there is a lot of speculation going on. At one time people on FB were claiming the car was stolen. Seems that was wrong.

Edit: I trust the Thai police and a lawyer to do the right thing more than I trust a mob on FB. If this really was just an accident it is just sad all around for everyone. I don't know where this happened and if it is a safe area for bikes but really seeing people ride bikes on highways and mountain roads is just asking for trouble. Sooner or later....

I have no idea why you think that riding a bicycle on mountain roads is asking for trouble. What kind of trouble? Landslides? Falling trees? Avalanche?

People seem to forget that riding a motorbike in this country is far more dangerous than riding a push bike. Speed and a more exposed position on the road expose motorcyclists to the possibility of all kinds of violent impact. Give me a push bike any day.

There are no cycle accident statistics available for Thailand. However, a cyclist who commutes every day through London traffic can expect one non life threatening accident [cuts and bruises] every 10 years. [ From last weeks Guardian]

Just because a motorcycle is more dangerous than a bicycle does not mean that a bicycle is not dangerous. In the mountains cars and trucks pass blindly on corners. Even being in a decent SUV on a Montanan road in Thailand is risky.

In my mind no one should be on roads that were designed for semi trucks on a bicycle unless they are doing so for transport. Most of these people who get killed are on the bikes because of sport or exercise. Honestly if one is on the highway on a bike and not going to school, work or the market I think they should be fined heavily.

I'm sure my views are going to upset a lot of people but really I do not care.

CNoi,

Running from an accident scene, giving false info to a medical doctor, etc you are in serious need of ethics and morality 101.....

CB

Yeah I would have agreed with you until I saw someone get violently killed by a Thai mob. The girl passenger in the car got very messed up as well (carried by men out of sight after being hit in the head many times) and she did nothing at all. Mob violence is brutal.

Even self defense here is questionable. That guy in Phuket who ran away from a fight only to get cornered and defend himself with a knife is on trial for a murder. I hope he does not get sent to jail for the next 20 years and expect he will be found not guilty but who wants to deal with that? Anyway there is no way to fight a mob...

I would absolutely run to the police and if I had time bring my lawyer. Life is too important to me and my family. Clearly the police think the same or they would have charge him for more than reckless driving.

someone asked what you have to do to get locked up ??

very simple:

Be a farong,

take a bottle of vodka, maybee red bull will be enough, away from a shop,

you will be locked up, deported and banned for 10 years !!

If you a Thai,

make a kneefall and say : sorry, forgot to pay , thats it !!

Therefore we like LOS, and

we are here for this kindness ??

CNoi,

Running from an accident scene, giving false info to a medical doctor, etc you are in serious need of ethics and morality 101.....

CB

Yeah I would have agreed with you until I saw someone get violently killed by a Thai mob. The girl passenger in the car got very messed up as well (carried by men out of sight after being hit in the head many times) and she did nothing at all. Mob violence is brutal.

Even self defense here is questionable. That guy in Phuket who ran away from a fight only to get cornered and defend himself with a knife is on trial for a murder. I hope he does not get sent to jail for the next 20 years and expect he will be found not guilty but who wants to deal with that? Anyway there is no way to fight a mob...

I would absolutely run to the police and if I had time bring my lawyer. Life is too important to me and my family. Clearly the police think the same or they would have charge him for more than reckless driving.

so what should be our conclusion ?

lawless 3rd world country like in Afrika !!

CNoi,

CB

Yes, I would also flee the scene and so would anyone who has spent any time here with any sense.

CNoi,

CB

so what should be our conclusion ?

lawless 3rd world country like in Afrika !!

No idea, just think one should be aware of what happens around them before they judge a person. Many people think that because he ran he is guilty. A few of us think he was smart because he ran and was smart enough to bring his lawyer with him to the police.

Thai people are almost always smiling and very calm, but when it gets too much... damn... Know where you are and act accordingly.

While he was trying to pass another car in front of him he hit them, I thought the witness said the cyclist were all on the left hand side of the road, so did he over take the car in front of him on the inside, then hit the cyclists, you just have to love the excuses they come out with, and the reasons why they run

While he was trying to pass another car in front of him he hit them, I thought the witness said the cyclist were all on the left hand side of the road, so did he over take the car in front of him on the inside, then hit the cyclists, you just have to love the excuses they come out with, and the reasons why they run

Witnesses are so reliable. In the other bike accident the witnesses said a guy was driving the car but the video clearly disputes this.

Also left is dependent on where the witness is standing. Left for the witness might be right for the driver.

Anyway police with video evidence or internet mob... hmm...

very simple:

Be a farong,

If you a Thai,

Total rubbish. We as parang get off with a lot more than normal Thais.

very simple:

Be a farong,

If you a Thai,

Total rubbish. We as parang get off with a lot more than normal Thais.

If you mean farang, I agree with you. I'm amazed at the number of posters over the years that think farang get a rougher deal than the Thais. I get away with much more - for eg. I can talk my way out of a routine police extortion etc.

Mango66 is wrong. A normal Thai(ie no influence) will get locked up for theft faster than a foreigner unless they are a Pattaya dweller perhaps. The police don't like sexpats, well actually nobody really like them.

I don't know what happened on the crash/accident and I don't want to speculate. However giving a false name to a doctor or a "body snatcher" is something I might do. Who knows what they are going to bill you for.

Running away and getting a lawyer is something I might do as well. I've seen videos of Thai mob violence where someone who caused an accident was killed brutally in public and it was video taped by many. No one even tried to help. I don't want to go into too many details of the video but I very much understand why so many Thia's run when something like this happens. Staying in a locked truck until police arrive is not the safe way to do it evidently.

Somewhat related I was in a very small finder bender where it was clearly my fault. I was pulling over and was going to pay or have my insurance cover it. 5,000 Baht or less type scratch but the Thai driver just speed off, I found that odd. I would have paid for the damage. Wife said some people just don't want any trouble.

Happen twice to me before, a bus and taxi hit my side mirrors. There was a scratch, they stopped at the side of the road, but I just drove off. If anything bigger, I would probably have stopped.

Well, being a farang instead of a Thai would be one way to qualify for getting locked up without release in this kind of a case.

I'm not talking about trivial police shakedown stuff. I'm talking about a case like this where someone or someones are killed. You'd be sitting in jail for sure, and passport seized as well.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Steal a car, Kill somebody with that car, run away.

Go to the police, say sorry.......... get charged, BUT released from police custody!!!!

TITcheesy.gif

wai2.gif

Well, it's not like he'd be considered a flight risk, or anything...

I mean, he only killed someone while driving, fled the scene of the accident apparently without rendering aid or even reporting the crash to authorities, and only surrendered to police after he was publicly identified...

Seems to be a good, upstanding, law-abiding Thai citizen. whistling.gif

Well, being a farang instead of a Thai would be one way to qualify for getting locked up without release in this kind of a case.

I'm not talking about trivial police shakedown stuff. I'm talking about a case like this where someone or someones are killed. You'd be sitting in jail for sure, and passport seized as well.

Wrong.

I have a UK 'friend' who recently killed a motorcyclist whilst drunk and got off scot free.

I have a Thai friend who did the same and went to jail.

It has nothing to do with skin colour but everything to do with money colour or influence. Granted, many farang have no influence but so do a lot more Thai.

The news people don't post about the Thais who daily go to jail for crimes such as this.

Read the Thai newspapers and you'll understand more.

Edited by Neeranam

Well, it's not like he'd be considered a flight risk, or anything...

I mean, he only killed someone while driving, fled the scene of the accident apparently without rendering aid or even reporting the crash to authorities, and only surrendered to police after he was publicly identified...

Seems to be a good, upstanding, law-abiding Thai citizen. whistling.gif

More importantly, he seems to have quite a bit of good upstanding Thai legal tender.