Bangkok Hit-and-Run driver charged, released from police custody

webfact

BKK Hit-and-Run Driver Charged, Released from Police Custody
By Khaosod English

14309915381430991897l.jpg
Cyclists campaign against drunk driving at Democracy Monument in Bangkok on 6 May 2015.

BANGKOK — The hit-and-run motorist who fatally ran over a cyclist in Bangkok surrendered to police yesterday, and was released after being charged with reckless driving.

The driver, Saran Intanin, crashed into a group of cyclists on 4 May, killing one 31-year-old woman and injuring several others. After the incident, Saran made a brief visit to the hospital, where he provided a false name, and left before speaking with police.

Saran surrendered to police yesterday after a Facebook page called CSI LA, operated by a self-styled "investigation expert," identified him using a grainy mobile phone image taken by a witness at the scene. Saran was charged with reckless driving leading to deaths and injuries of others, which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Saran told reporters he was driving a car that belonged to one of his friends, and lost control of the vehicle while he was trying to pass another car in front of him. He said he did not realize that he had crashed into the cyclists until he stepped out of the car.

"That second I knew I hit someone. I ran to see the man who was on the road, then I ran and jumped across the [roadside] fence to see the body of a woman in front of me," Saran told reporters. "My knee suddenly went down, and I apologized. I told her I was sorry, I didn't intend to do this."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1430991538

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-07

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That second I knew I hit someone. I ran to see the man who was on the road, then I ran and jumped across the [roadside] fence to see the body of a woman in front of me," Saran told reporters. "My knee suddenly went down, and I apologized. I told her I was sorry, I didn't intend to do this." ........................................................................ and then he rose again to his feet and....... wait for it......................................... ran away.

Yep, this person sounds like they are really sorry. bah.gif

IIRC, wasn't the car also reported stolen by its owner back in March?

From what I read elsewhere that report proved to be false as the ex wife of the one who was said to have made the report had the car.

She was also said to have been in the car at the time of the killer crash (I hesitate to call it an accident).

From reading elsewhere when he turned up at the cop shop he had a lawyer with him and 250,000 in cash for bail. Rich enough to afford it obviously.

He should not have been granted bail as he deliberately gave a false name then ran, and would likely never have come forward if he had not been fingered.

Indeed, indeed....very fishy as this story, their STORY, starts to unravel.

Have to wonder what crimes you have to commit to get locked up.

I don't know what happened on the crash/accident and I don't want to speculate. However giving a false name to a doctor or a "body snatcher" is something I might do. Who knows what they are going to bill you for.

Running away and getting a lawyer is something I might do as well. I've seen videos of Thai mob violence where someone who caused an accident was killed brutally in public and it was video taped by many. No one even tried to help. I don't want to go into too many details of the video but I very much understand why so many Thia's run when something like this happens. Staying in a locked truck until police arrive is not the safe way to do it evidently.

Somewhat related I was in a very small finder bender where it was clearly my fault. I was pulling over and was going to pay or have my insurance cover it. 5,000 Baht or less type scratch but the Thai driver just speed off, I found that odd. I would have paid for the damage. Wife said some people just don't want any trouble.

I'm sorry but, is the report saying he was only identified because of the actions of a FB user?

That is what the report says. However I'm not sure if he was identified before or after he turned himself in. It is very hard to get hard facts about this and there is a lot of speculation going on. At one time people on FB were claiming the car was stolen. Seems that was wrong.

Edit: I trust the Thai police and a lawyer to do the right thing more than I trust a mob on FB. If this really was just an accident it is just sad all around for everyone. I don't know where this happened and if it is a safe area for bikes but really seeing people ride bikes on highways and mountain roads is just asking for trouble. Sooner or later....

Arrest-able crimes is jaywalking while being a Farang hanging offence. Also if not connected and to little baht in bank. And I bet my my last satong this guy is either at the boarder or already crossed it.

Indeed, indeed....very fishy as this story, their STORY, starts to unravel.

Have to wonder what crimes you have to commit to get locked up.

Being poor seems a prerequisite....ever seen a hi-so locked up?

Sad...the message that is given.. it is ok to cause a fatality, and walk away... Punishment, only for those who cannot pay..

Remember the red bull heir and the girl who took out a whole minibus of people then stopped to text ! Immediately her mother said no one should jump to conclusions simply because her family had a ' name ' but in court she didn't even get a slap on the wrists just a light tap.

This driver was forced to give himself up and did so complete with his lawyer and Bt. 250,000 in cash hoping for bail so time will tell if he has connections and where that will take the case.

I'm sorry but, is the report saying he was only identified because of the actions of a FB user?

That is what the report says. However I'm not sure if he was identified before or after he turned himself in. It is very hard to get hard facts about this and there is a lot of speculation going on. At one time people on FB were claiming the car was stolen. Seems that was wrong.

Edit: I trust the Thai police and a lawyer to do the right thing more than I trust a mob on FB. If this really was just an accident it is just sad all around for everyone. I don't know where this happened and if it is a safe area for bikes but really seeing people ride bikes on highways and mountain roads is just asking for trouble. Sooner or later....

I have no idea why you think that riding a bicycle on mountain roads is asking for trouble. What kind of trouble? Landslides? Falling trees? Avalanche?

People seem to forget that riding a motorbike in this country is far more dangerous than riding a push bike. Speed and a more exposed position on the road expose motorcyclists to the possibility of all kinds of violent impact. Give me a push bike any day.

There are no cycle accident statistics available for Thailand. However, a cyclist who commutes every day through London traffic can expect one non life threatening accident [cuts and bruises] every 10 years. [ From last weeks Guardian]

You trust the thai police?? LOL

Great article in the Post, Dreaming of the police making our roads safe for cyclists. Come to find out, the drivers who killed the British and Chilean cyclists were left off with minor fines and NO jail terms. Implication is something went on behind the scenes to allow this to occur. Sucks. Those with money don't go to jail, those with no money go to jail. Corruption at it's worst.

Archived