Am I Going To Be Forced to Buy a New Phone?

connda

My wife just informed me today that our DTAC phone provider has told her that I must toss my old i-mobile Hitz phone, and I have to buy a new 'Smart Phone' within the next two month!!! Something may be getting loss in translation here. I seriously doubt that I'll get a straight answer from anyone at DTAC and my wife can barely operate her own Samsung Galaxy. And I doubt I'll get a detailed explanation of the 'whats and whys' because all companies like this have sales staff who's mission is to, well, Sell, Sell, Sell, and then there is the Thai / English translation barrier that can be leverage to their advantage (been here, done that).

I don't particularly want to be forced over to a different phone unless there is a government mandated reason to do so. I've got an i-mobile Hitz 1 GSM900/1800. Does someone a lot smarter than me know anything about the push to get folks to turn in their old phones and force them to different phones??? Really what I'm asking is: Has a telecommunication standard changed that renders this particular phone obsolete, or is this just a push to make money by selling hardware to a technologically ignorant public (like me thumbsup.gif ). I just need to understand the details. I may be ignorant, but I'm not stupid. Lol. smile.png

Possible reason is your old phone is not 3g and with 4g coming more and more the old 2g phones will no longer be able to be used on the network.

But thats just a guess as i have no knowledge of your particular model.

Wrong forum

MOVED to telecoms

Possible reason is your old phone is not 3g and with 4g coming more and more the old 2g phones will no longer be able to be used on the network.

Wrong forum

MOVED to telecoms

OK, I just looked up the specifications on the phone. It's 2G. I believe that DTAC is eventually going to phase out 2G and return allocated bandwidth back to CAT Telecom.

So, change happens. I'll find a cheapo 3G compatible phone that can live in the same drawer as the i-mobile dinosaur.

Wrong forum

MOVED to telecoms

OK, I just looked up the specifications on the phone. It's 2G. I believe that DTAC is eventually going to phase out 2G and return allocated bandwidth back to CAT Telecom.

So, change happens. I'll find a cheapo 3G compatible phone that can live in the same drawer as the i-mobile dinosaur.

So, does anyone know for sure what specifications that a phone in Thailand will need to meet now, and what kinds of phones will meet those specifications. If I can find an old used phone that meets whatever technical specs that DTAC is now requiring, I'll buy it. The cheaper the better. I'm sure as hell not going to buy something from their showroom.

I really do not want or need a 'Smart Phone'. I need a simple phone to allows the wife to contact me, and to carry in the car or on my motorcycle in case of emergency. Other than that, it will live in a drawer.

Edited by connda

If your phone is 900/1800 then DTAC is just worried about keeping you as a customer.

The 900/1800 frequencies are being opened up for auction, and the current concessions to use those frequencies are going to (or have) expired.

CAT's 1800 MHz licencing concessions with Total Access Communication (TAC, dtac Brand), TrueMove , and Digital Phone Company (DPC, GSM1800 Brand) have all now ended.

Customers still using equipment on that frequency need to be transitioned to make way for band repurposing.

850 concessions to CAT, DTAC and TrueMove-H

900 concessions to AIS expire in 2015

1800 concessions to DTAC, TrueMove and DPC are now EXPIRED

2100 AIS, DTAC, TrueMove-H, TOT 3G

Policy Tracker

Thailand proceeds with 900 MHz and 1800 MHz band auction

Apr 15, 2015 -- by Toby Youell
Thai regulator the NBTC has relaunched its plan to auction the 900 MHz and 1800 MHz bands
and raised the possibility of future auctions in the 2.3 GHz and 2.6 GHz bands.
National Council for Peace and Order in 2014 had ordered that the planned 1800 MHz and 900 MHz auction by the NBTC be suspended, both allowing the telecoms holding concessions on those frequencies more time to transition their current customers to other equipment/frequencies and allow a the new government time to review the auction plan.
NBTC announced a provisional timetable for the auction of the GSM bands to resume.
According to this timetable, two 12.5 MHz blocks in the 1800 MHz band will be put to auction at the end of October, with the process due to last until 10 November. Further details will be made available in July this year.
The 900 MHz band auction is scheduled to begin at the end of November, and will include 20 MHz of spectrum rather than the 17.5 MHz previously planned. A public consultation on the details of this auction will start on 5 August.

TeleComPaper

Thailand prepares for 1,800MHz, 900MHz spectrum auction

Five operators have already announced they will bid for spectrum, including Advanced Info Service (AIS), Total Access Communication (DTAC), True Corp, CAT Telecom, and Jasmine International. Thailand will auction four licenses, two of 12.5 MHZ each in the 1,800MHz spectrum, and two of 10MHz each in the 900MHz spectrum

Alcatel, just a plain phone.

500 baht on lazada.

Sim 49 baht

Call provider and pay 2 baht a month for as long as you want to keep the number active.

Don't forget to register the SIM with the provider.

July 31 unregistered Mobile Numbers will be Cancelled, permenently.

Wrong forum

MOVED to telecoms

So, does anyone know for sure what specifications that a phone in Thailand will need to meet now, and what kinds of phones will meet those specifications. If I can find an old used phone that meets whatever technical specs that DTAC is now requiring, I'll buy it. The cheaper the better. I'm sure as hell not going to buy something from their showroom.

I really do not want or need a 'Smart Phone'. I need a simple phone to allows the wife to contact me, and to carry in the car or on my motorcycle in case of emergency. Other than that, it will live in a drawer.

Dtac have brand new phones similar to your old Hitz phone that will operate on 3g.. You may possibly get the phone free depending on how long you've been with Dtac.. They were giving a credit for number of months with them.. Even if not free it would probably be no more than 500 baht.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/device/dtac%20/%20Happy/happy-phone-3g-dual-sim.html#tab-section1

This is the text message I received in July 2014..it doesn't work now but if they were giving it once it shouldn't be difficult to get them to make a few calls.

Get device discount based on your age of usage, max up to 2400 Baht at dtac shops and participating mobile dealers. Check discount rates, dial *234*9# (FREE) Hurry, use your device discount priviledge.

Edited by casualbiker

There should be a market for dino lovers, like a copy of the old 5 kg Nokia phone that can be used with 3g and 4g and that can only be used for calling and SMS. And you could have that old battery package that you install in your car that weighted another 10 kg.....

You know....the old Nokia that was like 8" by 3" by 2", and you can barely make out what comes out of the speaker and the ring tone is fixed to that old Nokia melody "ding a ding a ling ding....."cheesy.gif

And there was this phone cord that connected to the 10 kg battery pack or whatever that pack was for, and an antenna the size of a flagpole.

Edited by AlQaholic

Wrong forum

MOVED to telecoms

Why not buy a simple 4G compatable? Then when they phase out 3G you'll be still operational.

All the phones you buy today are going to have all the regular GSM frequencies...whether you need them or not.

Where the phones differ is on what 3G and LTE frequencies they support, or whether they support 3G and LTE at all, like yours that doesn't.

DTAC and True Move H are on 850 and 2100 Mhz 3G... AIS is on 2100 Mhz 3G... You want a phone with those 3G bands.

As for LTE, it's really just starting to get deployed... Heck, 3G isn't even fully deployed across the country as yet...

But I believe, for the future, LTE is going to have service on LTE Band 1, 2100 Mhz in Thailand, among others.

But just be aware, even though the 3G and LTE frequency band numbers may be the same, like 2100 Mhz, they are not interchangeable. A phone that gets 2100 Mhz 3G will not automatically get 2100 Mhz 4G... unless the phone manufacturer has also built in LTE radios into the device.

So you need to look at what frequency bands a phone can receive separately for 3G and LTE... But I would imagine, a low cost phone with just GMS and 3G frequencies is going to be fine for Thailand for quite a few years into the future...even if it lacks LTE. I don't believe there are a lot of low-cost, low-end LTE capable phones out there in the Thai market right now.

Looks like Dtac sell phones, so they should work ??

from 659 baht http://www.dtac.co.th/en/device/mobile.html

Is annoying had a nice slide phone, then True bought Hutch, so was given a True [samsung] phone, hatted it... last couple of years been on AIS, the Nokia phone cost under 500 baht, but hate that phone, like the OP rarely used so have to put up with it.

Edited by ignis

You shouldnt need to change your phone. Most phones, and systems have a fall back to another frequency. I would leave it and continue to use the one you have.

No International standard has been initiated to make you change your phone. The standards usually take years to get agreement and put into practice. I think they just want to make more money out of you.

Edited by gandalf12

You shouldnt need to change your phone. Most phones, and systems have a fall back to another frequency. I would leave it and continue to use the one you have.

No International standard has been initiated to make you change your phone. The standards usually take years to get agreement and put into practice. I think they just want to make more money out of you.

Is the issue of having to register 'pay as you go' sim cards by July be the issue here - maybe lost in translation??

The "Issue" is that the OPs phone only support 900/1800 bands.

900 is, for the moment, AIS.

1800 was CAT who licensed it out to DTAC, TrueMove and DPC

1800 is being auctioned off by the Thai Government this year. Will require new SIMs to use. We don't know who will win the concession (or do we?).

That's why dtac is telling the OP he has to get a new phone. His old phone will not work with dtac service on 850 or 2100.

I purchased a nice little uncomplicated Nokia from Central Plaza last December for 1200 baht. I have an iPhone 6 for my mobile internet and the cheapo Nokia for calls and texts.

The reason for this is is that I have an old DTAC SIM that extends the life of the SIM for one year each time I top up. Cheap to run and very cheerful and not available in LOS anymore. I simply top up a few hundred baht just before I return to the UK biannually and have enough credit and shelf life to last for my following holiday.

In the UK I have a great little Nano SIM for 16 pound per month with unlimited calls, texts and 6GB of 4G data. Got very lucky with that deal by waiting until I was out of contract, purchased a new iPhone 6 outright, and haggled with the provider and voila.

There should be a market for dino lovers, like a copy of the old 5 kg Nokia phone that can be used with 3g and 4g and that can only be used for calling and SMS. And you could have that old battery package that you install in your car that weighted another 10 kg.....

You know....the old Nokia that was like 8" by 3" by 2", and you can barely make out what comes out of the speaker and the ring tone is fixed to that old Nokia melody "ding a ding a ling ding....."cheesy.gif

And there was this phone cord that connected to the 10 kg battery pack or whatever that pack was for, and an antenna the size of a flagpole.

I got one of those back in 1987 when I was working with Vodafone in the UK and a year later I got a better Motorola one when I moved to them and worked with Celnet.

I was having lunch in a pub one day with 4 or 5 other engineers and our contractors when this poser dragged his "mobile" onto the table to show off to his girlfriend and got p1ssed off when 10 of us put our phones on the table and got them all ringing together.