Stricter laws needed to ensure road safety in Thailand

webfact

It all needs to go back to the start, where they have to pass a REAL driving test,

and have full knowledge about all aspects of driving,then they have to drive on

REAL roads with an instructor,who will pass them or fail them, as at the moment

the tests are just not good enough,the Authorities need to understand how

dangerous it is to let someone with very basic knowledge of driving,loose on the

roads with a car or pick up.

regards worgeordie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why pretend there are real laws and a police force capable of enforcing them? The guy who wrote the article is trying to stay on the face saving side of things instead of blatantly admitting road safety is non existent, laws are not relevant, and the police themselves are far worse than the criminals they are suppose to be policing.

I think the laws are there albiet some a little archaic/illogical and abused, so often in the news there is talk of police reform when infact most already know its a non starter,

Thats where the pretense is.

Lets simplify this issue by applying basic human rights.. No one has the right to kill another human being.. A car is a weapon you happen to be able to drive.. If you drive drunk or carelessly or with malice and kill someone it is murder.. Just because a cyclist is not fully safety compliant does not mean it is ok to run them over. I hear some people say they don't like cyclist, that some block lanes, cycle carelessly with no regard for cars but that still does not give you the right to kill someone.. It is not ok to run anyone over.. that is what Thailand should be preaching.. And those individuals who recently ran over and killed these cyclist should be tried for murder. even if it has to be done through the civil courts.. You never see these cases come to trail and that is the biggest problem.. There is no high profile prosecutions for killing someone with your car so people drive with impunity.. The fact that they can easily kill someone with their car never crosses their minds. This is what the campaign should be about.. talking about traffic laws and safe cycling and tinted windows only clouds that fact that those cyclist where murdered.. That is what the focus should be on.. If you kill someone while driving..it is murder unless it can be proven it was an unavoidable accident.. The killings will not stop until those that kill are prosecuted in public..Until the public sees the carnage, the pain and suffering by the families of the victims, and how these driver operated their vehicles with a total disregard for human life the killings will continue..

road safety being further tainted, but there isn’t any safety in the first place to taint on Thai roads it’s just a free for all and no one to police the roads so just do as you like its only cyclists so no one is really bothered, if they are killed or not even experienced cyclists who travel round the world could not survive on Thai roads.

The answer is not more laws (that won't be enforced anyway), but on the lack of enforcement of the existing laws by the police.

So, let's start at the source of the problem and reform the RTP. Once the RTP have been reformed into a competent and trust worthy police force, then and only then, should new laws be considered.

As long as the RTP remain the largest criminal organization in the country, nothing will change.

There was an Indian lad on at the Chiang Mai Sixes so drunk that he could barely stand, but he wouldn't give up his keys to his teammates, and made the excuse of going to the bathroom before sneaking round the back, jumping on his rented bike and riding off.

The next day he was laughing at how he was stopped by the police and it cost him Bt500 to potter off into the dark. They didn't even take the keys off him.

Stricter laws? Cobblers! We all know what is lacking is motorists' inability to understand traffic rules, traffic signs and markings, and even the most fundamental safety concepts, combined with police disinterest and incompetence in enforcing the current laws.

Absolutely ^^^.

The law as it stands is more than adequate, enforcement and sensible penalties is the key.

The law as it stands is not adequate, but of course even harsher laws need enforcing.

I bet if they stopped every single car and motorcycle in Pattaya after midnight and breathalyzed every bike rider and every car driver, there would be hundreds of people caught in the net, including many many Farang, as far as the laws go I don't think they are harsh enough, Farangs should get deported and blacklisted, mandatory punishment, that would stop 99.9% of expats who drive whilst drunk, I know many who do on a regular basis.

They do it now because as long as they don't have an accident and hurt someone, not much happens, a fine and some community service, is not a big enough deterrent for many, but if it was mandatory deportation and blacklisting, that would stop nearly every one of them, now as for the Thai's, well, they can't be deported, but they could have their vehicles taken away for 6 months or a year mandatory, that would stop a very large percentage of them too, harsh laws are the only way to stop people.

There are harsh laws in the US , but still thousands die in Alcohol related accidents and a few hundred thousand are seriously injured in Alcohol related accidents and about 1,500,000 people are arrested each year for DUI.

IN 2013, 10,076 PEOPLE DIED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES - ONE EVERY 52 MINUTES - AND 290,000 WERE INJURED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES. twitter_new_logo.gif National Highway Traffic Safety Administration FARS data, 2014. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812102.pdf. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “The Economic and Societal Impact Of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010.” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, May 2014, DOT HS 812 013. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812013.pdf.

Drink driving and Speeding will never stop in any country, draconian laws or lax laws, take a look at You Tube of road racing in the US, Supercharged Bikes and Cars touching 200 MPH on public roads. I wonder what would happen if they got caught and convicted, it would be real harsh, but it don't stop em, and you know what, I'd freakin love to do it myself !!!

.........................Additional Point: socially the road morals in Thailand are appalling - somehow introducing some ideology of 'benevolence' behind the wheel would go a long way to improving road safety. To somehow encourage a less selfish mindset, everyone knows how to be polite, but for whatever reasons a 'switch' is flicked when people get in on / in a vehicle, I call it the '<deleted>' switch.

Oh, not another set of "virtues" (used to reduce Songkran death and destruction)? Yes, education is part of it, but education is not exactly top class in Thailand and may take generations to get through to road users whistling.gif

In the meantime,STRICT ENFORCEMENT and MORE MEANINGFUL PENALTIES should work quicker. And payment to be made at a third party place NOT to the Policeman who apprehends you!!

Where there is will there is a way - but if no will, then no way coffee1.gif

the thai attitude towards cyclists is if you are in the way too bad this couldn't care less attitude must be stopped and harsher laws must be put in place a life for a life or a lifetime behind bars .

Create more bike paths and lanes, teach drivers to respect the road rules, enforcement of current laws, strong deterrents for people that break the law through lengthy jail terms, more road CCTV camera's to catch hit and run culprits. Unfortunately Darwin's theory of evolution follows a quicker timeframe than what I have proposed above.

Until then the safest bike in Thailand is below.

post-140765-0-48139800-1431262413_thumb.

Absolutely ^^^.

The law as it stands is more than adequate, enforcement and sensible penalties is the key.

The law as it stands is not adequate, but of course even harsher laws need enforcing.

I bet if they stopped every single car and motorcycle in Pattaya after midnight and breathalyzed every bike rider and every car driver, there would be hundreds of people caught in the net, including many many Farang, as far as the laws go I don't think they are harsh enough, Farangs should get deported and blacklisted, mandatory punishment, that would stop 99.9% of expats who drive whilst drunk, I know many who do on a regular basis.

They do it now because as long as they don't have an accident and hurt someone, not much happens, a fine and some community service, is not a big enough deterrent for many, but if it was mandatory deportation and blacklisting, that would stop nearly every one of them, now as for the Thai's, well, they can't be deported, but they could have their vehicles taken away for 6 months or a year mandatory, that would stop a very large percentage of them too, harsh laws are the only way to stop people.

There are harsh laws in the US , but still thousands die in Alcohol related accidents and a few hundred thousand are seriously injured in Alcohol related accidents and about 1,500,000 people are arrested each year for DUI.

IN 2013, 10,076 PEOPLE DIED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES - ONE EVERY 52 MINUTES - AND 290,000 WERE INJURED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES. twitter_new_logo.gif National Highway Traffic Safety Administration FARS data, 2014. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812102.pdf. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “The Economic and Societal Impact Of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010.” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, May 2014, DOT HS 812 013. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812013.pdf.

Drink driving and Speeding will never stop in any country, draconian laws or lax laws, take a look at You Tube of road racing in the US, Supercharged Bikes and Cars touching 200 MPH on public roads. I wonder what would happen if they got caught and convicted, it would be real harsh, but it don't stop em, and you know what, I'd freakin love to do it myself !!!

The Suzuki Hayabusa super sport was on display during a promotional sale in KK. I was very interested in it. I spoke to the sales guy who said the base model was something like 750 000baht. (Don't quote me as this was 12 months ago). He was happy to sell it to me without me having a license and I could have taken it on the road registered without any formal training on it. Not sure what the laws are in Australia, but I thought this was pretty irresponsible that the most powerful street bike in history could have been sold to me with my only experience being on a 100cc scooter which admittedly was red so it gave me the illusion it went faster than it was. Unfortunately illusions do not count for experience.

Beautiful bike though and if I stayed in Thailand I would certainly entertain buying one to get away from the misses as quickly as possible when she wanted me to "pull my weight" around the house!!

Absolutely ^^^.

The Suzuki Hayabusa super sport was on display during a promotional sale in KK. I was very interested in it. I spoke to the sales guy who said the base model was something like 750 000baht. (Don't quote me as this was 12 months ago). He was happy to sell it to me without me having a license and I could have taken it on the road registered without any formal training on it. Not sure what the laws are in Australia, but I thought this was pretty irresponsible that the most powerful street bike in history could have been sold to me with my only experience being on a 100cc scooter which admittedly was red so it gave me the illusion it went faster than it was. Unfortunately illusions do not count for experience.

Beautiful bike though and if I stayed in Thailand I would certainly entertain buying one to get away from the misses as quickly as possible when she wanted me to "pull my weight" around the house!!

Luckily You where a ThaiVisa member and knew right from wrong.