Chinese teenager first tourist blacklisted for 'uncivilized behavior'

webfact

Chinese teenager first tourist blacklisted for 'uncivilized behavior'

ch.jpg
Source: Internet

BEIJING, China - A Chinese teenager has become the first local tourist to be blacklisted for uncivilized behavior in the country after new rules kicked in last month to shame citizens who conduct themselves badly.

Eighteen-year-old Li Wenchun was seen climbing onto a statue depicting a female soldier of the Red Army - the predecessor of the People's Liberation Army - at a commemorative park for a photo late last month.

His antic was captured on camera by passers-by and posted on social media where he was heavily berated.

Li is to stay on the tourist blacklist for 10 years, said the China National Tourism Administration (CNTA) on Tuesday. This means he would be closely watched whenever he visits a tourist site in China during this period, The Beijing News reported.

Source: http://www.eturbonews.com/58729/chinese-teenager-first-tourist-blacklisted-uncivilized-behavior

-- eTN 2015-05-08

Gotta kind of wonder what kind of resources they are willing to expend to follow the youngster any time he goes to visit a tourist site. For the next 10 years no less.

Seems like a little fine and some hours of community service would have the same effect, and cost a lot less...

If you think they behave badly at home, you should see how they are perceived abroad.

Wow, how would we ever do that?

We'll have to live in a country like Thailand, I suppose.

Let's see, Chinese fighting on planes and threatening to blow them up? No problem. Chinese opening the door to get some fresh air on a jet taxiing for take-off? No problem. Defecating all over a Thai temple? Don't worry. But pull a harmless stunt for a photo? Ten years on the watch list.

Let's see, Chinese fighting on planes and threatening to blow them up? No problem. Chinese opening the door to get some fresh air on a jet taxiing for take-off? No problem. Defecating all over a Thai temple? Don't worry. But pull a harmless stunt for a photo? Ten years on the watch list.

Plus anything else that may not be made public.

Gotta kind of wonder what kind of resources they are willing to expend to follow the youngster any time he goes to visit a tourist site. For the next 10 years no less.

Seems like a little fine and some hours of community service would have the same effect, and cost a lot less...

Yes, but that was a statue of a soldier for the Red Army....that's subversion. He's lucky he's not in jail for 10 years or a re-education camp.

Yes, but that was a statue of a soldier for the Red Army....that's subversion. He's lucky he's not in jail for 10 years or a re-education camp.

Nah. Wrong place, wrong time. The CCP has gotten their population all worked up about tourists behaving badly, especially overseas.

A year or two ago, the same action would have probably been laughed off on the blogosphere, with copycats out in force in every province.

But since the campaign to improve the international image of the Chinese based on the behavior of their tourists, they have completely lost their sense of humor about harmless pranks. And I don't mean carving initials into the pyramids, that's not harmless. This youngster's prank was.

Make him polish the statues for a few hours. That'll be a win-win...

Edit: 40 or 50 years ago, the guy would have been beaten to death. Again, wrong place, wrong time...

Edited by impulse

I did stupider at that age...

Just not in a totalitarian country.

lucky we were there was no facebook and mobile phones with cameras when we were young.

feel pity for nowadays youngsters - they can't do anything stupid or silly in their wild teenage years without it being monitored and documented until forever.

if there would have been facebook or mobile phone cams when I was young, maybe I would still be blacklisted even in my home country until today tongue.png

Kinda confusing at first glance / from the title in the email newsletter, as to whether he was blacklisted from China or Thailand

Having read more ok I see it's China, but blacklisting doesn't mean kicked out a country, just 'watched' at tourist spots. Ok then.

I am surprised China did not force him into mandatory military service for a number of years. After Tiananmen Square many University students I knew from that time (involved or not) were required to do military service for at least a year, then return to University.... to give them respect for the institution.... I would have thought the same would happen here.... maybe 3 years of mandatory service.

As incredible as it sounds though it does actually get done.

I was invited there and yet still a guy followed me around for about 2 weeks.

We ended up just walking around together.

From 1400,000,000 people it is not hard to assign one.

I did stupider at that age...

Just not in a totalitarian country.

lucky we were there was no facebook and mobile phones with cameras when we were young.

feel pity for nowadays youngsters - they can't do anything stupid or silly in their wild teenage years without it being monitored and documented until forever.

if there would have been facebook or mobile phone cams when I was young, maybe I would still be blacklisted even in my home country until today tongue.png

The real kicker is that it is their own mates that are doing to them.

Nobody is staunch anymore.

Watch list at tourist sites for ten years? On paper maybe. The reality in China is - the police and security guards will be too busy sleeping to be watching him. Besides, they won't even know he's there.

That's probably correct as they do all seem to look alike....

If they'd had web cams, phone cams and FaceBook when I was a kid, I would have been locked up as a menace to society by the age of 10. cheesy.gif

I was thinking that the other day. Here's a Facebook post of mca drawing on a two skin bomber. Here's mca on a deserted supermarket car park getting his Ford Capri sideways in the snow. Here's mca at 6 am on a Sunday hitting 140 on his Fireblade on the M11 motorway etc.