PAYPAL SCB BANK Siam Commercial debit card cannot be used to pay ? What bank is the best for Paypal?

the same happened with my Kbank a couple of years back however a call to the bkk center and they allowed on line clearance for P/P but now i have got what they call a virtual on line shopping card maybe SCB have the same set up the k bank V card i set up purely from their web site

ENG/THAI you choose

The best bank for `paypal is any bank account that you already have that works..

SCB or Bangkok Bank require the right debit card and/or verified by Visa.

Kasikorn works with their online virtual shopping card.

My favourite bank in Thailand is Bangkok Bank, they seem to offer everything and with the most consistent professional service.

Kasikorn works fine for me, with their online virtual K-web shopping card as mentioned above.

Takes around 4-5 days latest for withdrawals to hit my account.

Have you thought of using Skrill? Far quicker for withdrawals, and less in fees.

The best bank for `paypal is any bank account that you already have that works..

My favourite bank in Thailand is Bangkok Bank, they seem to offer everything and with the most consistent professional service.

I tried to send 6,000 baht from my wife's Paypal to Bangkok Bank, they lost it.

( they have it but won't try to locate and return it...)

Paypal can not retrieve it, and Bangkok Bank won't accept Paypals documentation,

and effectively told us to sod off.

Not a damn thing we can do. Hate them with a passion at this point.

Edited by animatic

This week I tried to make a payment to Pay Pal with my SCB card, after PP rejected my payment I telephone SCB help line, who informed me that SCB does NOT make payments through PP. I therefor had to use my home country card to complete the transaction.

And now Kasikorn asks 800 thb to open a bank account ? Not 400 anymore ?

I don't think that is a charge for opening an account. It is for the debit/atm card.

I think that the staff must get commission as they automatically will give you the 800 Baht card and not the cheaper one. Even telling you that the cheaper one is no longer available.

I don't think that is a charge for opening an account. It is for the debit/atm card.

I think that the staff must get commission as they automatically will give you the 800 Baht card and not the cheaper one. Even telling you that the cheaper one is no longer available.

Yup, annoying to say the least. I have a Hello Kitty and a Doraemon card adorning my manly wallet. Both times I asked for plain debit cards, and was told they had run out.

The checkout girls at Tesco think its hilarious though, depending on which card I use at the time.

The one time I did want a branded card (Ducati) they didn't have any. :(

It's hard to imagine BKB say they "have the 6000 baht but lost it". Must be a misunderstand of one kind or antoehr.

Did you receive email confirmation from PP that the money had been transfered to the BKB? Go to your BKB branch office with a printout of the confirmation letter - which should include the transsaction number.

I tried to send 6,000 baht from my wife's Paypal to Bangkok Bank, they lost it.

( they have it but won't try to locate and return it...)

Paypal can not retrieve it, and Bangkok Bank won't accept Paypals documentation,

and effectively told us to sod off.

Not a damn thing we can do. Hate them with a passion at this point.

Yup, annoying to say the least. I have a Hello Kitty and a Doraemon card adorning my manly wallet. Both times I asked for plain debit cards, and was told they had run out.

The checkout girls at Tesco think its hilarious though, depending on which card I use at the time.

The one time I did want a branded card (Ducati) they didn't have any. :(

Yeh i can confirm that. I was told 800 and was quite surprised but she gave me the cheaper card when I asked her about it. I can imagine it could come down to who your dealing with on the day. However SCB was the same they also have different cards. The cheaper one is just good for atms and the more expensive is debit or whatnot. Bkk bank i remember being free but that was 3 or 4 years ago now.

Kasikorn Bank is notorious for cheating farangs on the card fees. When I got my first one 4 years ago it was 100 Baht and a receipt... Then I got my second one 3 years ago and still 100 with receipt. Next one was 200 Baht an no receipt, then 300 baht and no receipt and the last one was 500 (!) Baht and no receipt.

I'm pretty sure the official charge is still 100 Baht, maybe 200 Baht max... This is also what Thai people will tell you.

I would think that most bank workers have never heard of PayPal as it is not used by many Thais ,

and to save face and not admit they do not know what you are asking about it is easier to say they cannot do it ,

We did get it to work with K Bank so we can do PayPal , but never tried to put money into Paypal , only transfer from Paypal to the K bank account ,

and like I said above the K bank account needs to be set for International to work with Paypal in Singapore

and like I said above the K bank account needs to be set for International to work with Paypal in Singapore

Can you clarify what you mean by this - needs to be set for international?

Never heard of this term/expression, and I run a couple of different Kasikorn accounts linked to my Paypal, never had to 'set for international' for either of them.

Since Paypal exists in a grey financial area that is even less regulated than the banks, it is not quite a bank, regardless of card or bank you use with Paypal, best to use a separate account and keep it apart from your other financial accounts.

You don't have to do anything to be able to use your account to receive funds from Paypal (receiving takes about one week though).

To be able to pay with Paypal with your linked debit card, I think you need to register the card at Kasikorn for online shopping... At Kasikorn they call this Shopping Card or something. Can be done at the ATM and needs to be confirmed with an SMS that you'll receive on your mobile no. that you registered with your bank.

You don't have to do anything to be able to use your account to receive funds from Paypal (receiving takes about one week though).

You first need to verify the bank account through the paypal portal first, they make a small random payment around a couple of baht amount, when the amount hits your bank account, you have to go back in to paypal and enter the exact amount to verify.

To be able to pay with Paypal with your linked debit card, I think you need to register the card at Kasikorn for online shopping... At Kasikorn they call this Shopping Card or something. Can be done at the ATM and needs to be confirmed with an SMS that you'll receive on your mobile no. that you registered with your bank.

Its called the K-web shopping card. Small point, but its not the linked debit card you are registering, it is your actual account.

Since Paypal exists in a grey financial area that is even less regulated than the banks, it is not quite a bank, regardless of card or bank you use with Paypal, best to use a separate account and keep it apart from your other financial accounts.

Paypal can be a pain some times, but I would hardly refer to them as being in a grey area. They are a well established and widely used payment system worldwide.

One good thing about Paypal is it operates on a double blind system. ie when you pay for goods/services, the seller never has access to your bank details. In effect, you pay paypal, and paypal pays them.

As said in an earlier post, Skrill is a good alternative to those who are Paypal-wary

I stopped using Paypal once I figured out they charged me 6.5% to receive money (including conversion). I'm much better off with direct bank transfers and credit card currency conversion.

I stopped using Paypal once I figured out they charged me 6.5% to receive money (including conversion). I'm much better off with direct bank transfers and credit card currency conversion.

Yeah, that's why I use Skrill where I can for receiving funds. I still keep Paypal active for certain purchases.

Skrill beats the bank transfers for rates IME, but it depends on the individual situation as to what is best for most.

Skrill charges 2.99% to 4.99% for currency conversions (3.99% for EUR/USD/GBP to THB)... plus any receiving/sending fees. Not sure if that is much of an alternative.

Edit: In contrast to Paypal, Skrill doesn't seem to have a reputation for randomly freezing accounts so it might still be the better alternative regardless of any fees.

Edited by wump

Skrill charges 2.99% to 4.99% for currency conversions (3.99% for EUR/USD/GBP to THB)... plus any receiving/sending fees. Not sure if that is much of an alternative.

Edit: In contrast to Paypal, Skrill doesn't seem to have a reputation for randomly freezing accounts so it might still be the better alternative regardless of any fees.

For multiple smaller amounts, it still beats the TT charges from a bank by a mile. Agreed though, for larger amounts bank transfer can be better.

I worked in a country a couple of years back which Paypal decided was not on their list - got frustrated by the regular freezing. Thankfully it hasn't happened again for the last couple of years

Kasikorn Bank is notorious for cheating farangs on the card fees. When I got my first one 4 years ago it was 100 Baht and a receipt... Then I got my second one 3 years ago and still 100 with receipt. Next one was 200 Baht an no receipt, then 300 baht and no receipt and the last one was 500 (!) Baht and no receipt.

I'm pretty sure the official charge is still 100 Baht, maybe 200 Baht max... This is also what Thai people will tell you.

Why did you need 5 cards within 4 years?

Good point. Just checked both of my K-bank cards and they were 5 years validity on issue.

Skrill: from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skrill):

"According to a Better Business Bureau review, Skrill has a very poor reputation with fraudulent behaviour.[citation needed] The review noted 58 complaints submitted by victimized users, with most of the complaints citing unauthorized and fraudulent charges, poor and unreachable customer service, and deceptive selling practices, almost all of which appear to be linked to sudden account freezes and withheld funds.[21] Many customer reviews are favorable, for example in a 2011 survey by the online seller news blog eCommerce Bytes, Skrill received the second highest ranking out of all payment services.[22]"

And:

"Unlike some of its competitors, Skrill does not usually get involved in merchandise disputes, and the availability of credit card chargebacks may be limited.[citation needed]"

That says it all, doesn't it?

Edited by peergin

I have two accounts because I changed provinces. Lost my wallet at some point so that was 2 cards gone. Another card I forgot inside the ATM. Not all that unlikely.

This shouldn't be about how many cards I need but how one on the biggest banks can allow their employees to cheat customers. If they can cheat you out of a couple of 100 Baht from the change for your card what's to stop them from shortchanging you when you exchange currency for example? Not saying that it happens, but it does leave quite some bitter taste.

And don't tell me management doesn't know because this happens at virtually ALL KBank branches in Pattaya.

Edited by wump