Can I take old coins out of Thailand to the USA

Is there a danger of seizure under the same law that includes Buddhist amulets and military antiques and awards? I intend to take the coins I have collected from Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Singapore back to the USA to have authenticated and insured.

Seizure on the way out thru i.e.Suvarnabhumi? huh!

No one gets near my [ see profile pic ] photo-205215.png?_r=1403962899 , which never leaves my big-right finger.

If it was taken by some smart'rsed hiso borderpost red-cap, i'd be quicksmart dobbing him in to the Aphawan Palm who presented it to me, and have a hex put on him/her

If the quantity isn't that great and they haven't even been slabbed yet by NGC or PCGS, then I doubt they'll attract any attention going out of Thailand, but they might be of interest to US Customs depending on their market value.

The prohibitions regarding Buddhist statues etc has nothing to do with coins.

With some exceptions, the only Thai flat coins with significant collector monetary value would be some coins from the reigns of Rama IV or V (and many of the more expensive uncertified ones exist as counterfeits in quantity).

But the total face value of legal tender/modern coins is restricted:

Foreign Currency

The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the “Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

The Regulation and Notification require that the travelers bringing foreign currency into or out of Thailand, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the person’s baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

A person who reports currency has to answer truthfully any questions that a border services officer asks about the information required for the report.

Thai Currency

The amount of 50,000 baht or more in Thai currency must be reported on departure,

Edited by Suradit69

Kind of on topic...

My girl showed me a facebook page yesterday. It was all in Thai.

Appartently there is a run of 500,000THB notes coming out however the sales price will be 1 million baht each.

Anyone have any futher info or links on this offer?

Anyone who can confirm that it is not a scam?