Padang Besar mayor and two police officers held in connection with human trafficking ring

Lite Beer

Padang Besar mayor and two police officers held in connection with human trafficking ring

5-8-2015-8-41-01-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Padang Besar mayor and two police officers are the latest three suspects taken into police custody for alleged involvement in the trafficking and illegal detention of Rohingya people.

The three suspects were identified as Banchong Pongpol, the mayor of Padang Besar, Pol Lt Mongkol Suro, platoon commander of border patrol police, and Pol Acting Sub-Lt Asaneerun Nuanrod.

The three detained suspects are among 11 new suspects against whom arrest warrants were issued by the police on Friday. So far, nine suspects have been arrested and 20 others are still at large.

Meanwhile, Trang provincial police have arrested Supote Moensiew accused of shooting a Rohingya in Satun province and a trader in Padang Besar.

Police believe that information gleaned from Supote could lead to more exposure of the human trafficking network in the southern provinces.

Pol Maj-Gen Putthichart Aekachan, deputy commissioner of Region 9 provincial police bureau, disclosed that police had rescued 24 Rohingya people and 15 Bangladeshi with another 16 whose nationalities are yet to be determined. 33 bodies of Rohingyas have been unearthed from mass graves.

It was reported that Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmuang, the national police chief, is to travel to Padang Besar tomorrow to give a press conference about the latest development of the human trafficking network.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/padang-besar-mayor-and-two-police-officers-held-in-connection-with-human-trafficking-ring

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-08

I really really hope, that for once, we won't see the fat cats get away - moved to inactive posts, out on bail, the regular "TIT" crap.

The "government"should really put down the foot this time, we are talking human trafficking, slavery, mass murder - committed by those, who should uphold the law.

It really does not get nastier than this.

As per usual, Thai officialdom only reacts, when they are caught with their pants down!!

A mayor and some low ranking police/army officers are sacrificed and the bosses are giving press conferences about their fight against the evil. Laughing all the way to the bank!!

Sometimes I wonder, if the Thai morality DNA has been switched with the all too common greed DNA??

As per usual, Thai officialdom only reacts, when they are caught with their pants down!!

A mayor and some low ranking police/army officers are sacrificed and the bosses are giving press conferences about their fight against the evil. Laughing all the way to the bank!!

Sometimes I wonder, if the Thai morality DNA has been switched with the all too common greed DNA??

So your accusing Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmuang, the national police chief of being the boss behind the human trafficking.

Please take your evidence direct to the PM he will be delighted to know just who is the main culprit.

So your accusing Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmuang, the national police chief of being the boss behind the human trafficking.

Please take your evidence direct to the PM he will be delighted to know just who is the main culprit.

Both the PM's and Chief of Police's power bases are build on the access to butt licking informants.

So I don't believe, that neither of the two gentlemen had no knowledge of a refugee-camp with 700-800 people within the Kingdom.

And IMO money was probably going all the way to the top, just like the drug money from the islands, hence the blind eye turned by the authorities.

In some respects this country is way more rotten, than we mortals can comprehend.

It's interesting how you take other peoples' posts - then re-phrase them into something completely different - so that you can comment on content that you yourself created.

Either you have a learning disability (which is nothing to be ashamed of these days), you are intentionally creating the strawman argument for the purposes of aimless argumentative palaver, or you enjoy public debate with yourself.

Whichever the case, repeating this for 8,000+ posts is illustrative for the rest of us.

Both the PM's and Chief of Police's power bases are build on the access to butt licking informants.

So I don't believe, that neither of the two gentlemen had no knowledge of a refugee-camp with 700-800 people within the Kingdom.

And IMO money was probably going all the way to the top, just like the drug money from the islands, hence the blind eye turned by the authorities.

In some respects this country is way more rotten, than we mortals can comprehend.

The fact is, it has been this junta that has been uncovering this mess. It was being written about outside of Thailand, but not much was made of it inside Thailand until now.

In 2009, then PM Abhisit said he was going to find out what was going on, but he didn't go any further, publicly.

Now, with PM Prayuth in charge, graves are being discovered and some are being arrested. This didn't happen before.

Padang Besar mayor nabbed for trafficking
The Nation

30259653-01_big.jpg

Suphoj

POLICE HAVE arrested the mayor of Padang Besar municipality in Songkhla province over his alleged involvement in human trafficking and started a probe into a close aide on suspicion that the latter was also involved.

Bannajong Pongphol, the mayor, faced seven hours of questioning before being taken to a press conference in Trang yesterday as authorities suspect he might have been linked to the discovery of many corpses in Kaew Mountain in Tambon Padang Besar.

His aide, Suphoj Muensew, was charged with attempted murder in relation to a raid on the chief of Trang prison in 2013.

National police chief General Somyot Poompanmoung yesterday said investigators were looking|into whether Bannajong and Suphoj had a hand in the death of the many migrants whose bodies were exhumed recently.

He said police would report to the government the names of a number of people allegedly involved in human trafficking whose positions meant they could not be touched by police.

Padang Besar deputy mayor, Prasit Lemleh, surrendered to police on Thursday. He has been detained at a court in Songkhla, after being questioned by police.

Deputy police chief General Aek Angsananont said arrest warrants had been issued for 36 people over their alleged roles in the trafficking of humans for labour, including 11 suspects whose warrants were issued yesterday and six suspects in custody.

Two operation centres dealing with the issue have been set up under the supervision of Provincial Police Regions 8 and 9, whose jurisdictions are in the upper and lower South.

Daily meetings and briefings will be held at these two centres, with details to be made public every day, said Maj-General Phutthichart Ekkachant, a deputy commissioner of Provincial Police Region 8.

Phutthichart said that so far four detention camps with 51 buildings in total had been found and 55 migrants were under government care - 24 Rohingya, 15 Bangladeshis and 16 others whose nationalities were yet to be determined.

He said the remains of 33 bodies had been found, with DNA verification for their identity ongoing.

He said border-patrol police were looking for 17 Rohingya who had gone missing in Khao Kaew, located between Songkhla and Satun, while part of a group of 50 who were apprehended while being brought to a destination in Satun by a Thai smuggler.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Padang-Besar-mayor-nabbed-for-trafficking-30259653.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-09

He said police would report to the government the names of a number of people allegedly involved in human trafficking whose positions meant they could not be touched by police.

We all believe that this is normal for thailand, but is unusual to see the fact actually stated.

There should not be anyone above the law and out of the reach of the police.

You have to remember that arrest and questioning is only the beginning of the process.

Sentencing only comes after a trial and an opportunity for defence.

I wonder if those demanding sentencing and refusal of bail would shout the loudest of they were denied a fair trial themselves.

I know I keep bleating the same thing, but where are the active camps full of trafficked people and their captors.

For me the real turning point in this is the dismantling of an active people trafficking operation.

What we have so far is better than what we had before "nothing".

I hope the authorities are actively pursuing these traffickers, not just cleaning up after them.

And just what kind of "positions" in Thailand have impunity to commit illegal acts and can't be "touched" by the police???

That would be a rather interesting list to read...

BTW, there's another and better thread on this leading off with an AP article:

Thai trafficking crackdown targets corrupt police, officials

THANYARAT DOKSONE, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's police chief announced the arrest of a powerful mayor on Friday and said 50 police officers are under investigation in a widening human trafficking scandal spanning four Asian countries.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823694-thai-trafficking-crackdown-targets-corrupt-police-officials/

So does this mean, that the Thai police can't "touch" themselves???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And just what kind of "positions" in Thailand have impunity to commit illegal acts and can't be "touched" by the police???

That would be a rather interesting list to read...

Err, could they be from the organisation currently ruling the country.

It's interesting how you take other peoples' posts - then re-phrase them into something completely different - so that you can comment on content that you yourself created.

Either you have a learning disability (which is nothing to be ashamed of these days), you are intentionally creating the strawman argument for the purposes of aimless argumentative palaver, or you enjoy public debate with yourself.

Whichever the case, repeating this for 8,000+ posts is illustrative for the rest of us.

Another ignorant newby who feels he has to attack me.

Try reading JOC's post again and you just may be able to work out that he has suggested exactly what I posted, his follow up says exactly the same only he goes farther and accuses the PM of the same thing.

I can't even begin to imagine how much those poor trafficked people suffer every day, it is hard enough to just read about it let alone experience it.

Organised cruelty such as this, is the proverbial millstone tied to the ankle of our whole species. We are dragging this ugly shame around, it is slowing down our collective progress and keeping the potential future successes forever out of reach.

Happy and healthy workers equals a more productive society, greater economic success, and a world that our descendants will be proud to live in.

wai2.gif

Edited by Yunla

^ That was my reaction too! blink.png What exactly was he thinking?... "What shall I wear to the police interrogation? I know! I'll just wear my pink silk boxers. It will show off my tats as well as indicate my future role in prison."

Police arrested the mayor of sub-district Padang Besar on Friday for allegedly being the leader of the trafficking ring in the Songkhla province. Detention camps and grave sites of Rohingya migrants were discovered within the last week that are allegedly linked back to the trafficking ring.

Read More: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/824029-padang-besar-mayor-arrested-and-accused-of-being-trafficking-ring-leader/

It's when you see a senior army officer's name on the list will we all know how even handed our present leaders are! wink.pngsad.pngwai.gif

Like this?:

"The minister appeared angry to learn about the alleged involvement of military officers in the trafficking of Rohingya, a source close to the meeting said.

The accused officers hold the rank of major, colonel and lieutenant, the source said, noting that their commander - a colonel who heads their unit in Chumphon - is also being investigated."

Or this?:

"A colonel and another high-ranking Thai army officer have been temporarily removed from their posts while they are investigated for suspected involvement in trafficking refugees from Burma’s Rohingya ethnic minority to a third country"

The action being taken against human trafficking are, as far as I know, unprecedented, being cynical and dismissing things without good cause is not going to help anyone.

It's when you see a senior army officer's name on the list will we all know how even handed our present leaders are! wink.pngsad.pngwai.gif

Like this?:

"The minister appeared angry to learn about the alleged involvement of military officers in the trafficking of Rohingya, a source close to the meeting said.

The accused officers hold the rank of major, colonel and lieutenant, the source said, noting that their commander - a colonel who heads their unit in Chumphon - is also being investigated."

Or this?:

"A colonel and another high-ranking Thai army officer have been temporarily removed from their posts while they are investigated for suspected involvement in trafficking refugees from Burma’s Rohingya ethnic minority to a third country"

The action being taken against human trafficking are, as far as I know, unprecedented, being cynical and dismissing things without good cause is not going to help anyone.

Er, those reports were published two years ago.Not aware that army officers have been identified in connection with the current scandal nor for that matter whether those identified two years ago have been prosecuted,

Since the Thai army is NEVER accountable for its many crimes one can only be sceptical.

Still quite willing to give Prayuth a chance.

Like this?:

Or this?:

Er, those reports were published two years ago.Not aware that army officers have been identified in connection with the current scandal nor for that matter whether those identified two years ago have been prosecuted,

Since the Thai army is NEVER accountable for its many crimes one can only be sceptical.

This is related to the current actions:

"Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan said the army chief has ordered immediate transfer of an army colonel from the southern area, and vowed to pursue legal and disciplinary actions against all officers involved."

Like this?:

Or this?:

This is related to the current actions:

"Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan said the army chief has ordered immediate transfer of an army colonel from the southern area, and vowed to pursue legal and disciplinary actions against all officers involved."

That's a promising first step I agree - an unnamed mid level officer on transfer to somewhere else.Let's monitor carefully and see how the case develops and more importantly see whether more senior rank army officers are pursued.On past evidence there will be a whitewash as with army crimes in the Deep South particularly if military courts are involved.

But we should give Prawit a chance before rushing to judgement.