failed retirement extension Chiang Mai

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have read that we can leave Thailand and get a 30 day tourist (visa) or 60 day tourist visa from Laos. Surely this would compromise our non-immigrant 'O' visa already in passports?

this happened to me a few years ago.I went out of thailand to malaysia,got a tourist visa,came back in,and waited for the extra month to season money.went back to immigration and they re instated my retirement extention.Ask your immigration if they will do this for you.

Not good advice !

The existing "visa " in the passport is long dead if extensions of stay have been applied for / granted

What has been "extended " is the permission to stay" Not the "visa". Visas are NEVER extended !

If , for whatever reason, ChrisKC cannot obtain a new extension of stay prior to or on 14 May he should leave , obtain a new single entry Non "O" visa and then return to start the "extension of stay" process from the beginning .

It is not possible to apply for an "extension of stay" using a "visa exempt" entry ,an entry gained from a tourist visa or a long dead , expired, NON "O" visa

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

I am beginning to get confused.

The Immigration Officer told us we could get a pension letter in a few days but he was wrong. He anticipated us arriving back with money and time period resolved before the current extension expires. He gave us back all our papers and said we could use the same application and forms and even gave us our queue tickets back so we would be first in line. Therefore we left without pursuing the issue of overstay. Only upon asking the Bangkok Office were we told 10 working days - no urgent cases accepted for reducing this time.

Its an interesting point about the non-immigrant visa having "expired long ago". I am sure this cannot be right as both my wife and I have been using the same one for at least eight years. She got hers in UK and I got mine in Penang. Every year since then, Immigration Officers have examined our passports and nobody ever raised the issue. Does a non-immigrant 'O' visa have a limited life?

I have to ask have you really been living in Thailand over 10 years on retirement extensions, you ask questions that usually only a newbi ask who has never been here or only for a short time. You and your wife both need to go to Laos and apply for a non-o visa to re-apply for a extension of stay and her to apply for a dependant extension of stay or a retirement extension. Your original non-o as expired many years ago.

Apropos my failed retirement extension.

I now discovered that I have a 90 day report to file by 18th May. The retirement extension expires on 14th May. Application won't succeed until maybe as late as 26 May. I wont bore you with the details now.

Am I able to file a 90 day report irrespective of the dates above?

You and the wife need to get your selves to Laos and get a non-o visa you worry nothing compared to your real problem.

Evidently immigration has not been that busy lately a friend went to immigration around 0730 and was done and out by 0930 about 2 weeks ago. He obtained a retirement extension of stay from a non-o visa issued in Laos.

Apropos my failed retirement extension.

I now discovered that I have a 90 day report to file by 18th May. The retirement extension expires on 14th May. Application won't succeed until maybe as late as 26 May. I wont bore you with the details now.

Am I able to file a 90 day report irrespective of the dates above?

If that is the case Chiang Mai made a mistake with your report date.

Once your extension expires you no longer have permission to stay in Thailand to do the report.

It should have been dated to the expiry date of your extension, but don't worry about that.

You need to follow the advice given by nzexpat. Only a Non Imm O can be used to get an extension.

Visa exempts or Tourist Visas are no good.

Go to Lao before the 14th and get Non Imm O Visas. On re-entry to Thailand you have permission to stay for 90 days.

Within the last 30 days of that Visa expiring go to Immigration and apply for new extensions just as you have before.

Leaving it until after the 14th will only mean you will incur overstay fines and you'll still have to go to Lao to get another Visa.

• Like 1

Whilst I accept that you can do a conversion in Bangkok to a Non O Visa for the purpose of retirement, that Visa expires after 90 days and you must then get an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand based on retirement.

The non-immigrant visa issued by an immigration office as the preparatory step for a one-year extension of stay must be used, ie expires, on the day it is issued. It is the period of permission to stay granted on the basis of this visa that expires after 90 days and can be extended for one year at a time. An example such visa, its related permission to stay and subsequent extension of stay is here:

Thanks for that clarification Maestro and the examples.

Edited by Maestro
Removed an inappropriate comment.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Whilst I accept that you can do a conversion in Bangkok to a Non O Visa for the purpose of retirement, that Visa expires after 90 days and you must then get an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand based on retirement.

The non-immigrant visa issued by an immigration office as the preparatory step for a one-year extension of stay must be used, ie expires, on the day it is issued. It is the period of permission to stay granted on the basis of this visa that expires after 90 days and can be extended for one year at a time. An example such visa, its related permission to stay and subsequent extension of stay is here:

Just to support and emphasize that !

The visa only lives for the few seconds which the immigration officer takes to slam down that "USED" stamp !

That is an interesting example as it seems that the "visa" and extension of stay were all granted on the same day.

I suspect such a "one step" process is no longer available.

Edited by nzexpat

Just to support and emphasize that !

The visa only lives for the few seconds which the immigration officer takes to slam down that "USED" stamp !

That is an interesting example as it seems that the "visa" and extension of stay were all granted on the same day.

I suspect such a "one step" process is no longer available.

That 'one step' process is still available. My mate did exactly that in Bangkok a few months ago.

Through his own fault, he left it to late to get a Non Imm O from the UK, so arrived on a Tourist Visa.

He then moved to his home in Amnat Charoen, completed a TM28 and TM30 which he submitted to Immigration and received a receipt for change of address.

However when he went to do his first 90 day report they refused. Turned out they weren't happy with the issue of an 'extension' which was issued without meeting the requirements of having funds in a Thai bank for 2 months. They told him to go back to Bangkok to do his reports, but they would be happy to renew his extension next year.

He crosses the border to Lao every 90 days to reset his stay until his next extension.

Not a good experience.

A 90 day Single Entry 'O' Visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, Laos or the Thai Consulate in Penang, Malaysia. It is a pain - but you are not the first person to have to do this... Don't even think of an overstay... they could easily hold it against you.

I know -- it is not easy to lighten up ... but Thailand is what it is ... and they do not give a damn if you have been here all these years. Just go on knowing you are a good guy and try to abide by the rule -- but sometimes the rules are crazy and those who administer them are even more crazy.

Deep Breaths OP ... and no one should blame you for ranting a bit and being upset. Just do not let it get to you.

Make it a train trip ..-- make a side trip to Nong Khai - go on the Riverwalk-- enjoy yourself.

One more plea.

My wife visited Chiang Mai Immigration Officers yesterday and showed evidence that pension letter is on its way.

What surprises me is that they didn't suggest we apply for a seven day extension that would cover all eventualities. Passports and current visas then remain valid.

If we both go to Immigration on 14th when the current retirement extension expires, are we able to apply for this seven day extension (period of grace)? Is it a right or is it discretionary, or even possible?

Thank you all for your continued indulgence.

Chris, while I sympathise with your predicament, you appear to take a very lethargic approach to the information other members have already given you. Are you taking any notice at all.

Why should Immigration notify you about a 7 day extension. You are a foreigner in a foreign Country and it is for you to educate yourself about the rules, not for Immigration to hold your hand. They probably deal with numerous problems every day that are of the foreigners own making. I'm sure they probably view many of us as stupid ignorant foreigners and get tired of trying to help some because they don't listen.

Re your last post,

1.You are not on a Visa, you are on an extension of stay

2. After 14th you are on overstay.

3. A 7 day extension would be issued to allow you to cross the border and get the Non Imm O Visa that so many have advised you to do. If CM allowed a 7 day extension, during which time you received the letter and they subsequently allowed the extension to proceed, then that is entirely at their discretion and you'll be a fortunate man.

If you want to avoid any further complications you need to cross the border, obtain Non Imm O Visas, then make a fresh extension application within the last 30 days of that Visa. Up to you, or pay an overstay and HOPE that CM will do the extension when your letter arrives.

Edited by Faz

One more plea.

My wife visited Chiang Mai Immigration Officers yesterday and showed evidence that pension letter is on its way.

What surprises me is that they didn't suggest we apply for a seven day extension that would cover all eventualities. Passports and current visas then remain valid.

If we both go to Immigration on 14th when the current retirement extension expires, are we able to apply for this seven day extension (period of grace)? Is it a right or is it discretionary, or even possible?

Thank you all for your continued indulgence.

Chris, so what exactly did Chiang Mai Immigration say when your wife showed evidence that the pension letter is "on its way"? Was she talking with the same nice officer who helped you originally?

Are you putting off making a trip to Laos to get 90-day O visas, risking going on overstay, in the hope the CM Immigration officers will overlook that transgressions and let you pay your overstay fine without leaving the country? Or maybe give you a seven day extension that somehow you'll be able to turn into a 12-month retirement extension once you get your Income letter? Have they actually said this will be possible?

Chris, I don't know about your wife, but if you were my husband we'd be on a train right now taking a little holiday to Nong Khai with a view to crossing over to Vientiane to apply for a 90-day O visas right after Royal Ploughing Day. I think you're "playing chicken" with the Immigration officers here in Chiang Mai and are likely to be the loser. That's OK if you don't mind paying overstay fines and having a mark in your passports, I guess. Oh yeah, and still having to make a trip to Vientiane.

Suspect the OP is not listening !

There are non so deaf as those who do not want to hearsmile.png

• Like 2

Wife visa. Or go back to tourist visa for 3 months.

You both can get single entry non-o visas in Vientiane. You would get yours by showing you have the 800k baht in the bank and your wife's would be based upon yours as your dependent.

As I wrote before you should ask immigration about applying for the 7 day extension and doing your one year extension when you get the income letter. Some offices will do it and others will not.

• Like 1

Nancy,

I wrote you a personal message and after two minutes I deleted it because it looked like it went straight into the forum. Please indicate if you received and read my message and if not please reply to my email address < Email removed per forum rules, use PM function instead > and I will send it direct. So sorry about all this.

Chris

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to non-commercial sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile

Chris -- I got your PM and replied. The PM system seems to be rather cumbersome and I couldn't reply directly.

One point that should be noted for everyone to see is that the OP's 90 day report is due a few days after his extension expires. He should still do his 90 day report, now, before the extension expires. Otherwise, he'll have another fine to deal with. The "clock" for 90 day reports operates independently from the "clock" for extensions.

As for the rest, let's just say there are some personal matters that account for the apparent dithering on the part of the OP. The advice he's received is well appreciated.

• Like 1

Chris -- I got your PM and replied. The PM system seems to be rather cumbersome and I couldn't reply directly.

One point that should be noted for everyone to see is that the OP's 90 day report is due a few days after his extension expires. He should still do his 90 day report, now, before the extension expires. Otherwise, he'll have another fine to deal with. The "clock" for 90 day reports operates independently from the "clock" for extensions.

As for the rest, let's just say there are some personal matters that account for the apparent dithering on the part of the OP. The advice he's received is well appreciated.

Thanks for the update Nancy.

However unless the OP removes his head from the sand takes positive action his situation and the "personal" issues are just going to worsen ....................................

I am sure you have provided good advice smile.png

Edited by nzexpat

Come on, it's not that bad! I don't think I'm going to have to get out a wheelchair from my storage closet for Chris and his wife. Let's sit tight and wait for an update. I think he'll pop by next week and let us know how it turns out. (They do have internet service in Laos, don't they? Hehe)

Edited by NancyL

The wheels are turning, they are gathering speed, first gear today, second gear tomorrow, the turbo is ready for qualifying at the weekend. Monday is Race Day

Still "hanging " on in Thailand?

In spite of the fai dap at Immigration, Chiang Mai, today, 09.30 until 10.am I was able to secure my joint application with my English wife, the retirement extension that failed last week, with only a four day overstay fine and no requirement to go anywhere.

Thank you to all those who contributed to this thread that ends happily - for another year. 90 day report filing went without a hitch also, though I did that last week on advice from this forum, in particular, you, Nancy, who offered sympathy, compassion and solid advice in your correspondence with me.

Thank you again and of course Chiang Mai Immigration Officers who are always under pressure of workload.

The chequered flag is raised for us.

• Like 2

In spite of the fai dap at Immigration, Chiang Mai, today, 09.30 until 10.am I was able to secure my joint application with my English wife, the retirement extension that failed last week, with only a four day overstay fine and no requirement to go anywhere.

Thank you to all those who contributed to this thread that ends happily - for another year. 90 day report filing went without a hitch also, though I did that last week on advice from this forum, in particular, you, Nancy, who offered sympathy, compassion and solid advice in your correspondence with me.

Thank you again and of course Chiang Mai Immigration Officers who are always under pressure of workload.

The chequered flag is raised for us.

Chris, I'm very happy you amicably solved your problem.

Chiang Mai were obviously very sympathetic to your situation (or they were afraid of Nancy's wrath) and you were lucky.

I hope you have learned from your experience and bought a calendar to note the dates of future reports.