Second rice crop planting ban takes toll on farmers

Lite Beer

This economy should be transitioning into a middle income with services replacing the type of labor intensive industries but the lack of education of those affected, lack of English skills has trapped them.

The government really needs to implement a credible alternative than telling them to grow fruit.

I see the situation getting worse once ASEAN is fully implemented with a chunk of the population unable to complete.

Well, it would be more fruitful if Society would transition into something that

regards human beings for what they are and not as slaves to a failed economic model !!!

Human beings should never ever "compete" but "co-operate" to "thrive" ...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only suggest you research a few basic concepts before commenting further. Start with "labour intensive" then try "mechanisation" and then go to "productivity".

In case you lack the time or skill, let me summarise fr you. Too many workers working in a labour intensive industry producing a low value crop result in poverty for most of them. Reducing the number of workers, increasing the acreage of each farm, and using mechanical equipment results in sufficient yield per worker to afford them a reasonable income, and the market price actually drops.

If your plan were to happen, the mongers would be happy as thousands of poor women would be forced to go work in the bars. In case you hadn't noticed, there is no economic safety net in Thailand for redundant people.

There are thousands of poor women working in bars right now, and most of them come from rice-farming families, either because their family has a very low income or because they prefer the lifestyle to that of a manual labourer in a rice field, or both. There are also thousands of imported workers doing jobs that rice-farmers could do, and get a better income.

The Luddites come out in force when a bit of economic rationalism is applied to farming. Hate to tell you this but the Agrarian Revolution worked out pretty well in the long run, and because of it most people eat better and cheaper than before it.

Thailand's version WILL come, because eventually those who work just as hard but a lot smarter (the 'elite' to a die-hard red shirt) will sicken of using the taxes they pay to prop up inefficient industry (and believe it or not, farming is a business) and having impoverished farmers electing criminals who promise them a hand-out.

BTW I have helped one rice farmer to become a shopkeeper with a B200,000 loan. He repaid me B240,000 , extended his house/shop, and bought a new Wave for cash in a 2 year period, as well as obvious improvements to their life-style, indicating an income far higher than his previous.

I can only suggest you research a few basic concepts before commenting further. Start with "labour intensive" then try "mechanisation" and then go to "productivity".

In case you lack the time or skill, let me summarise fr you. Too many workers working in a labour intensive industry producing a low value crop result in poverty for most of them. Reducing the number of workers, increasing the acreage of each farm, and using mechanical equipment results in sufficient yield per worker to afford them a reasonable income, and the market price actually drops.

If your plan were to happen, the mongers would be happy as thousands of poor women would be forced to go work in the bars. In case you hadn't noticed, there is no economic safety net in Thailand for redundant people.

There are thousands of poor women working in bars right now, and most of them come from rice-farming families, either because their family has a very low income or because they prefer the lifestyle to that of a manual labourer in a rice field, or both. There are also thousands of imported workers doing jobs that rice-farmers could do, and get a better income.

I think you are confusing two separate issues: poverty of rice farmers and irresponsibility of Thai males.

Most women in the sex trade are single parents supporting a kid or more after the father of their kids ran off or got kicked out.

A small minority, the younger ones, for the money to maintain a lifestyle that they cannot support in a regular job.

This economy should be transitioning into a middle income with services replacing the type of labor intensive industries but the lack of education of those affected, lack of English skills has trapped them.

The government really needs to implement a credible alternative than telling them to grow fruit.

I see the situation getting worse once ASEAN is fully implemented with a chunk of the population unable to complete.

But that is precisely what is going on. Farmers are getting older, kids are migrating to the cities. Some to swing around poles under neon, other to factories and offices.

The transition will be painful because successive govt haven't had a clue what to do with the remaining rural population, until Mr. T simply paid them to do nothing or do Pool stuff.

The farms can't stay profitable and pay families because they are too small. The people are too poorly educated to work in factories and they don't want to move anyway. So, subsidize them and let natural attrition move to mechanisation and increase in farm plots.

But apparently, no, subsidies are evil and the poor must suffer. So that is off the plan.....

The Luddites come out in force when a bit of economic rationalism is applied to farming. Hate to tell you this but the Agrarian Revolution worked out pretty well in the long run, and because of it most people eat better and cheaper than before it.

Thailand's version WILL come, because eventually those who work just as hard but a lot smarter (the 'elite' to a die-hard red shirt) will sicken of using the taxes they pay to prop up inefficient industry (and believe it or not, farming is a business) and having impoverished farmers electing criminals who promise them a hand-out.

BTW I have helped one rice farmer to become a shopkeeper with a B200,000 loan. He repaid me B240,000 , extended his house/shop, and bought a new Wave for cash in a 2 year period, as well as obvious improvements to their life-style, indicating an income far higher than his previous.

Where was the Bangkok elite bankers with their microfinanace.

Nowhere to be found.. Ever....

Ah but maybe a fair wage would be 310 baht, and companies won't do that... It is seriously better to pay them to stay in the countryside.

I think you are confusing two separate issues: poverty of rice farmers and irresponsibility of Thai males.

Most women in the sex trade are single parents supporting a kid or more after the father of their kids ran off or got kicked out.

A small minority, the younger ones, for the money to maintain a lifestyle that they cannot support in a regular job.

To get away from the infitisimally small Pattaya farang scene, the huge Thai scene does not rely on solo Issan mothers for it's girls.

To get away from the infitisimally small Pattaya farang scene, the huge Thai scene does not rely on solo Issan mothers for it's girls.

I visit Pattaya only a couple times a year. Try Bangkok.

I was originally going to include Bkk in my previous reply, but the farang scene there is so microscopically small ( a rapidly diminishing Patpong, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy ) that I thought it wasn't worth including.

I was originally going to include Bkk in my previous reply, but the farang scene there is so microscopically small ( a rapidly diminishing Patpong, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy ) that I thought it wasn't worth including.

The sex trade involves more than just a-go-go bars. Trust me, I have stayed for more than 30 years here and can read Thai.

The sex trade involves more than just a-go-go bars. Trust me, I have stayed for more than 30 years here and can read Thai.

There are probably more teenage schoolgirls hanging around Siam looking for a sugar daddy so they can buy a new i phone than there are girls and ladyboys working in gogos in Patpong.