When travel do you take a surge protector?

elgenon

My travel adaptor had built-in surge protection, so yes I take one everywhere with me.

Thailand has a high lightning risk, a simple inexpensive arrestor won't save your kit if there's a direct hit to the supply but it adds that extra peace of mind, it certainly cannot do any harm.

If worried run on batteries whilst there's flash-and-bang going on in the area.

Just yesterday I had Lightning strike one of my Plug-in Wall Sockets. It blew that to tiny bits as well as about 5 centimeters deep and 25 centimeters long of concrete it was attached to. The Lightning traveled through the house wire and blew out 2 more sockets and also a Light Switch. One in which my computer was plugged into.

At the time all the power to the house was shut off. As was my computer. But the Lightning still managed to strike and destroy my computer plug-in and battery charger to my Lap Top, and a few small appliances like my air fan and coffee pot. Lucky for me I have another Battery Charger as a spare.

So yes, surge protectors are useful here. I am just lucky it did not destroy my Lap Top. I am going out to buy one tomorrow, or perhaps a few as this could have happened to my TV or new Refrigerator as well..

Just yesterday I had Lightning strike one of my Plug-in Wall Sockets. It blew that to tiny bits as well as about 5 centimeters deep and 25 centimeters long of concrete it was attached to. The Lightning traveled through the house wire and blew out 2 more sockets and also a Light Switch. One in which my computer was plugged into.

At the time all the power to the house was shut off. As was my computer. But the Lightning still managed to strike and destroy my computer plug-in and battery charger to my Lap Top, and a few small appliances like my air fan and coffee pot. Lucky for me I have another Battery Charger as a spare.

So yes, surge protectors are useful here. I am just lucky it did not destroy my Lap Top. I am going out to buy one tomorrow, or perhaps a few as this could have happened to my TV or new Refrigerator as well..

"So yes, surge protectors are useful here. I am just lucky it did not destroy my Lap Top"

From your description I'd say you were lucky you weren't turned into burnt toast.

Not sure a travel surge protector will protect you from a lightning strike. More for

rolling brown outs and power failures when power companies are having trouble

meeting the power demand.

Here is what I do, for what it is worth, after living here for 5 years, in a building with ... lets just say ...less than perfect infrastructure.

I have a surge protector for desk lamps etc.

Into that I plug a SECOND surge protector for all "the good stuff."

When I hear the first thunder, regardless of the distance, i unplug my laptop and run on battery only.

if we do get a sudden blackout, I them unplug "all the good stuff surge protector, and plug it in when I know the drama is over.

Here is one tip ... always plug in the device AFTER you have plugged the power pack in. Never have (example) your laptop plug in, then plug into ANYTHING ... even a surge protector.

When you see 5the flames shooting out of the wall socket, this will become more obvious.

5 years .. no problems ... (knock on wood)

You can buy very good imported surge protectors in BKK, if you do not want them in your luggage.

Have a great visit to the Kingdom.

Sounds like the protector is a good investment. At my other living location in East Texas storms with intense lightning are common in the Spring/Summer. Houses there are equipped with a grounding wire from the house to a copper or steel rod buried in the ground. That might save you from potential damage next time. Those may be common here too but I don't recall seeing them. Good Luck.

Edited by MiclB

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"So yes, surge protectors are useful here. I am just lucky it did not destroy my Lap Top"

From your description I'd say you were lucky you weren't turned into burnt toast.

Good Point!

That is exactly what I thought once I could see again from the Bright White Light, and didn't feel the surge of electricity going through my body anymore.

But it must have just been an Electrical Force Field the Lightning developed being so close to me as I had no entry or exit points. It did make my arms fly open and up in the air make me drop the cup I had in my hand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure a travel surge protector will protect you from a lightning strike. More for

rolling brown outs and power failures when power companies are having trouble

meeting the power demand.

I think you are thinking of a Power Bank. A Surge Protector protects you from High Voltage Surges caused by any number of problems. It will also protect you from a Lightning Strike.

I have one on my Shower Heater, and you do to probably. It was on the same wiring line as where the Lightning struck. This tripped the lever. All I had to do afterwards was push the lever back in and it works fine.

Wow! All over the place. But, if your living space gets hit it sounds important. One person mentioned less serious rolling brown outs.

It sounds like a good idea to take one when traveling but the size and weight are considerations. I'd have to find a compact one. Is there a small one?