SURVEY: What Is the Main Deterrent to Living in Thailand?

Scott

What is the main deterrent to living in Thailand?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he doesn't like the people that the availability of alcohol and prostitutes attracts?

I don't know. You can never be really sure who hides behind these nicknames and avatars, might be a couple, a family or an organization as well.

The disgust of alcohol and prostitutes sounds typical female to me. Women don't like drunken men so much, and they usually don't like their men to mess around with other women. Which of course doesn't keep them from looking for other men in countries like Kenya.

You really think you can lump half the world's population into one group and say what they do and don't like?

Women are people too, dude. They have different opinions.

Maybe he doesn't like the people that the availability of alcohol and prostitutes attracts?

I don't know. You can never be really sure who hides behind these nicknames and avatars, might be a couple, a family or an organization as well.

Maybe he hates himself, or she hates herself respectively.

The disgust of alcohol and prostitutes sounds typical female to me. Women don't like drunken men so much, and they usually don't like their men to mess around with other women. Which of course doesn't keep them from looking for other men in countries like Kenya.

If the poster is indeed a man, then there might be another reason why he's upset by Thai ladies. He might want one, but his Farang woman keeps her hands on the wallet. So he decides not to want a Thai lady although he actaually does. And to free himself from this cognitive dissonance, he calls them "prostitutes".

The combination of alcohol and prostitution is a highly sensitive topic. Many women say alcohol is a sex killer. Now imagine a Farang in a foreign country who actually lacks the courage to make contact to a Thai lady, and this Farang gets drunk because it makes himself feel a little stronger. The rest I leave to the reader's fantasy...

Edited by micmichd

If the poster is indeed a man, then there might be another reason why he's upset by Thai ladies. He might want one, but his Farang woman keeps her hands on the wallet. So he decides not to want a Thai lady although he actaually does. And to free himself from this cognitive dissonance, he calls them "prostitutes".

The combination of alcohol and prostitution is a highly sensitive topic. Many women say alcohol is a sex killer. Now imagine a Farang in a foreign country who actually lacks the courage to make contact to a Thai lady, and this Farang gets drunk because it makes himself feel a little stronger. The rest I leave to the reader's fantasy...

You know that some men simply aren't interested in Thai women, right?

Some of you guys have a real hard time understanding that not everyone shares your tastes and opinions.

You know that some men simply aren't interested in Thai women, right?

Some of you guys have a real hard time understanding that not everyone shares your tastes and opinions.

Sorry, I forgot about that.

The general unavailability of intellectual stimulation.

There's also the extreme version of Face, and it's attendant racism.

Agree with this. If I moved back to the USA I'd come back to Thai Visa and post every day just to show people how intellectually stimulated I was since leaving Thailand.

Absolutely. There are a number of TV members who do not (or no longer) live in Thailand but they post every day. I don't know if they think they are intellectually stimulating but some of them are usually very critical and negative. They never give praise or encouragement.

Now that would make a good OP. How many on tv live here or would like to if they could afford the 800,000B . I think tv should be for those that live here. My country of origin is England , I have never slagged off Scotland as I have never been there . Ok it rains there every day but .................I like rain.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All of the above.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4

Agree. But I opted for the last one, they do not really want us here.
But does that really matter ?

Good point. Well, they do of course want us for our money but as long as they're not actively persecuting us it doesn't really matter, it just means that we have to make up for any insufficiency regarding human interaction we may feel regarding Thais with interaction with other foreigners, the media, films & books.

The general unavailability of intellectual stimulation.

There's also the extreme version of Face, and it's attendant racism.

Agree with this. If I moved back to the USA I'd come back to Thai Visa and post every day just to show people how intellectually stimulated I was since leaving Thailand.

Absolutely. There are a number of TV members who do not (or no longer) live in Thailand but they post every day. I don't know if they think they are intellectually stimulating but some of them are usually very critical and negative. They never give praise or encouragement.

Now that would make a good OP. How many on tv live here or would like to if they could afford the 800,000B . I think tv should be for those that live here. My country of origin is England , I have never slagged off Scotland as I have never been there . Ok it rains there every day but .................I like rain.

I live here. It didn't cost me 800,000 baht.

The more educated one is, in this case regarding living in Thailand as a foreigner, the more realistic one's expectations will be.

For me the most detrimental aspect of it (I don't think 'deterrent to living in Thailand' really works!) is the lack of pubs selling draught ale.

Edited by piersbeckett

since many years allready, i think it is time to pack and go....i am just waiting to get my investment back and i'll live for sure.

thailand dont offer at all that kind of life they always try to sell to us.

here it is only a matter of money! nothing else....as a foreigner you are a farang or whatever they want to call you depending where you are from...a walking wallet who has a reason to be here only if you can afford it.

sorry for the bad news!coffee1.gif

1) Rude Expats

2) Clueless Government

3) Lazy Thais

4) Rude Thais

5) Poor living standards, quality foods, services, bad drivers, no real selection of affordable organic foods.

6) Money hungry new generatio-----------> They don't want to work for it

7) All the Nigerian/African drug dealers

8) All the Nigerian Prostitutes

9) Lazy Rude Arabs

10) Mafia Russians

11) Jet Ski Scammers

12) Maninland Chinese

..........................etc....etc....

All the Nigerian prostitutes; there's gotta be some good ones, surely?

since many years allready, i think it is time to pack and go....i am just waiting to get my investment back and i'll live for sure.

thailand dont offer at all that kind of life they always try to sell to us.

here it is only a matter of money! nothing else....as a foreigner you are a farang or whatever they want to call you depending where you are from...a walking wallet who has a reason to be here only if you can afford it.

sorry for the bad news!coffee1.gif

And what about Farang countries? Do you really believe your welcome there if you have no money?

I happened to live without any money a couple of times, in Asia and in Europe. I certainly prefer the hospitality of Asia and especially the smiles in Thailand.

Edited by micmichd

I've worked and lived in more than a few countries and they all have good and bad. What I have observed is that countries with a heavy reliance on tourism tend to be the places where the locals dislike expats the most (with the exception of Brasil). As an expat the thing that concerns me with Thailand is instability. We had a great business going which was started in 2004 and last year's protests and subsequent coup slaughtered us. We had to lay locals off and mothball the company. My partner is on about restarting again but I'm just thinking, why? Reinvest, restart and a couple of years on and another coup or the demise of HRH The King and it all goes west again. Challenging to say the least.

Well you certainly have some valid points here. I was wondering why the 2010 red shirt armed attempted coup did not bother you.

On the other hand as for the future. I don't think the future will be the same as the past. Thailand is happy with the coup leaders and they feel free. Of course there are the ones who stand to loose power and money who will quite naturally carry on as if the future will be the same as the past. But from all indications that will not happen. Most of the red shirt rank and file are happy with the peace they were tired of the constant urging to over throw.

When I say indications I am not saying the job is done I am saying they have started on it and made progress. They have also made some mistakes and rather than deny them and continue on with them they have dropped them. I like that in a government. Honesty is a rare commodity. They still have a long way to go to overcome 14 years of Shinawatra but they are working on it.

Edited by northernjohn

Well you certainly have some valid points here. I was wondering why the 2010 red shirt armed attempted coup did not bother you.

On the other hand as for the future. I don't think the future will be the same as the past. Thailand is happy with the coup leaders and they feel free. Of course there are the ones who stand to loose power and money who will quite naturally carry on as if the future will be the same as the past. But from all indications that will not happen. Most of the red shirt rank and file are happy with the peace they were tired of the constant urging to over throw.

When I say indications I am not saying the job is done I am saying they have started on it and made progress. They have also made some mistakes and rather than deny them and continue on with them they have dropped them. I like that in a government. Honesty is a rare commodity. They still have a long way to go to overcome 14 years of Shinawatra but they are working on it.

You do know there is a law against negative polls now eh? Just checking.biggrin.png

The Tower of Babel. There is no way I will learn thai. The Thai's who speak English don't really understand what they are saying nor will they ask for clarification if they don't understand me.

Language barrier is definately my worst nightmare after 10 years here. What category would you place this in?

All of the above.coffee1.gif

Agree. But I opted for the last one, they do not really want us here.
No, they just don't really want you pair here, and neither do I

And who are you to judge? I have a beautiful Thai wife and a son, a lovely mother in law and my wife's two kids from her previous marriage and they are all that matters to me, my comment is about Thai society, sure those that a close to you and welcome you into the family with open arms want you here and I have many Thai friends who do too, but the country as a whole want Thailand to be for Thai's and I accept that and love living here.

The Tower of Babel. There is no way I will learn thai. The Thai's who speak English don't really understand what they are saying nor will they ask for clarification if they don't understand me.

Language barrier is definately my worst nightmare after 10 years here. What category would you place this in?

You wouldn't happen to be Lake Palmer, would you?

How'd it go with woman you met on Louis Theroux's show?

You left off one that has been in the news more than any of the options -

Fear of Assaults from Thai Motorcy Gangs,

hit & run drivers,

Kidnapping, Scammers etc etc etc............Can't wait to see the result of this one..........coffee1.gif

You left off one that has been in the news more than any of the options -

Fear of Assaults from Thai Motorcy Gangs,

hit & run drivers,

Kidnapping, Scammers etc etc etc............Can't wait to see the result of this one..........coffee1.gif

You must have been reading Pattaya news clippings.

Pattaya News is a sensationalistic paper, and if they find it worth publishing something then it means it doesn't happen so often.

In a European City, nobody would give a damn about violence anymore, it is normal everyday life there.

private medical care is the only problem here, when one is old.However one needs to put money to one side just in case

I solve this problem by another way..Just married with doctor in one of the best hospital of Thailand!

private medical care is the only problem here, when one is old.However one needs to put money to one side just in case

I solve this problem by another way..Just married with doctor in one of the best hospital of Thailand!

So she'll be able to do a triple heart bypass on the kitchen table free then?

CORRUPTION

true! the lack of total corruption n Thailand is another deterrent for people like me who enjoyed the positive effects of real corruption when living and working in Nigeria laugh.png

I feel you bro...

i am based in PH

You're just kids comparing with me...42 years in Moscow, Russiawhistling.gif !