Most-practical Footwear For Thailand

Trevor

In Europe I normally wear Mephisto lace-up shoes as I use orthotic inserts to raise one side and help my arches. In Thailand this means wearing either shoes or closed-toe, closed-heel sandals in order to retain the orthoses.

The sandal cutouts allow some air to circulate and can be worn (formally) with, or without socks, although they are not as smooth and comfortable as the Mephistos. They also have the advantage of no laces (velcro strap) so can be kicked-off quickly when entering a house. Also great for packing as saves having to carry one pair of shoes AND one pair of sandals. One can find some of this type of sandal in Thailand, although it is hard to locate my size of 10 / 44.

What type of footwear do you favour, and why?

I probably wear closed top shoes once or twice a year when we have an official visit our facility at the university (which usually involves a suit and tie). The rest of the time is always sandals. For being cool, comfortable and convenient (quick removal for home). Actually not any different when I was in the US except here it is all year round rather then only summer months.

Edited by tywais

It really depends on WHAT you will be doing here ....

Going out to nice places? Bring shoes ...

MOST of the time I wear loafers ... / deck shoes etc ... even driving mocs!

When I moved here I wore out my track/tennis shoes pretty quickly but my Timberland driving mocs lasted 2.5 years

I wear my hiking boots about once a month

Sandals or Crocs almost daily for a little while

My dress loafers (semi-dress J&M's) get worn monthly while my lave up dress shoes have only been worn 3 times in 3 years (and I could have worn the nice loafers instead except my suit is black! and the loafers are not!)

My one and only pair of shoes are:....

A pair of DR. Martins shoes.

Pro's.

Great for the uneven pavements ( no stubbed toes )

Nice and comfortable, almost as good as trainers ( but no horrible smell )

Good for moterbike riding

Look nice when polished up ( for special occasions :D )

Cons.

Not so easy to slip on and off when visting Thai style.

Or

Flip flops for the beach.

Barefoot at home and when asleep :o

I am also supposed to wear orthopaedic inserts for my arches, but don't wear them very often.

If I know I'm going to do a lot of walkng I usually wear a pair of trainers with the insides ripped out and the inserts replacing them. They are good, expensive trainers, designed for the task, and I wear them sockless - easy to take on and off without undoing the laces - and a good compromise between proper shoes and sandals.

Anybody know if Crocs are available in Thailand? They look just like something Thai people would wear.

Or maybe these "topless" sandals? Somehow they stick to your feet but are easy to take off.

Crocs ARE available .. expensive for Thailand ..... 1450thb at Sportsworld and there are knockoffs available .. have seen them at Suan Lum for about 400 THB but didn't try on the fakes

I wear a pair of home-made sandals I bought off a bloke from Chad. He made them from an old car tyre, and sold me them for 5 CFA. They are cool and comfortable: Recommended!

Of course if and when I go to Pattaya immigration I wear a three piece suit, shiny black leather shoes and a Panama hat; as recommended by a gentleman in the Pattaya Mail letters pages and subsequently posted on this forum.

I had to wear black leather, lace-up shoes to teach. No more.

Always assumed you couldn't drive a car or ride a bike in sandals. No more. I can do it all in sandals now. Maybe I'm going native.

I wear brown loafers for dress-up, with tan cotton slacks. Calvin K. and Tommy H. are not my buddies, and I don't advertise for them. And I've never paid over $50 for trainers or $65 for cowboy boots. :o But I did buy a classy black leather sombrero in Nicaragua.

I must be getting old... I am discussing shoes, something I saw my father do often as a youngster.

I wear sandals around the yard & around the village.

I wear Keen H2O if I am going to be out on a the moped. (keenfootwear.com) They offer good toe protection... you never know if you are going to need it.

Now for work, I wear ECCO, and you can find them I know for sure in Phuket. I brought 3 sets of ECCO's to Thailand thinking they would be hard to find in Thailand. Then I stumbled upon them at a mall in Phuket, and they had a better variety than what I have ever seen in the States. They had quality sandals, sport shoes, and work shoes. I sat there and drooled over them, but did not need them so I left them there for another time. The prices were cheaper than the states too....

So if you are like me, and need to give your feet a lot of TLC, ECCOs are awesome.

For everyday I wear 19baht flip flops.

For special occasions I wear newer pair of 19baht flip flops.

For working in the garden or rice field I wear over the calf rubber boots.

If I ever have to wear lace up shoes again I hope I remember how to tie the buggers!!!! I don't think I've tied a set of laces in over 2 years!!

Yeah i'm with Jd, deckies most of the time, best with no socks i reckon if out in the heat, guess it comes from so much time at sea on yachts, theres nothing like a good pair once they have have a few dunkings, they just mould so well to your feet.

I have some Helly Hansens now but Sperry or timberlands are better i reckon.

For riding the motosi, same with safety flip flops as a minimum, you know the ones with the heel strap so they dont fall off.

Anybody know if Crocs are available in Thailand? They look just like something Thai people would wear.

Or maybe these "topless" sandals? Somehow they stick to your feet but are easy to take off.

Saw them in MBK the other day, didn't check the price, sorry and they did say "croc" but that doesn't mean they were the real thing :o

First floor outside the Tokyu dept store.

Leather shoes mold and fall apart, trainers cause foot fungus. But then I don't have arch problems nor do I drive a motorbike. Nor do I have a job where I must look nice, I live on the beach in 85% humidity. Flip flops all the way :D

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bikenstocks! Come with their own arch support, are hard wearing (last for years) and I wear them nearly every day. If you buy the cheap reproductions, beware, they are still comfy but only last a brief period of time.

Take care of your feet and they take care of you!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bikenstocks! Come with their own arch support, are hard wearing (last for years) and I wear them nearly every day. If you buy the cheap reproductions, beware, they are still comfy but only last a brief period of time.

I agree...don't even look at cheap birkenstock reproductions, they are junk. 40 baht plastic flip flops are a better deal.

I useta like to collect cheap flip flops and whenever at tescos I always check out the big bin with the current selection...the variety is remarkable, you can wear a different pair every day...

I never had to work in Thailand other than to visit the regional office in BKK very infrequently. With a white dress shirt, chinos and 'smart' sandals ah's OK...

when at home in Suphan I don't wear clothes other than to cover myself with unwashed underpants or beat, ragged shorts when the kids come home from school...

GO nud_e TODAY (including footwear...except, of course when your lady is nud_e also and wearing stilettoes...then wear trainers for the pursuit and to obtain traction for subsequent activities...)

I agree...don't even look at cheap birkenstock reproductions, they are junk. 40 baht plastic flip flops are a better deal.

I useta like to collect cheap flip flops and whenever at tescos I always check out the big bin with the current selection...the variety is remarkable, you can wear a different pair every day...

I never had to work in Thailand other than to visit the regional office in BKK very infrequently. With a white dress shirt, chinos and 'smart' sandals ah's OK...

when at home in Suphan I don't wear clothes other than to cover myself with unwashed underpants or beat, ragged shorts when the kids come home from school...

GO nud_e TODAY (including footwear...except, of course when your lady is nud_e also and wearing stilettoes...then wear trainers for the pursuit and to obtain traction for subsequent activities...)

:D:D:o

I wear ECCO Receptors!

A new breed of sandals designed for water sports, after-sport relaxation and everyday comfort. Footgear features 360° wraparound uppers for optimal fit, honeycombed footbeds to channel water away from your feet and grippy rubber soles for whatever segment of the earth you’re standing on.

fb640bcb018040a199bb984d7997863d_product.jpg

Not exactly that model I have (but similar) I've had mine for about 3 years. They are as comfortable and provides some protection - cool, lightweight and last ages!

Only negative is they are a bit pricey.

In Europe I normally wear Mephisto lace-up shoes as I use orthotic inserts to raise one side and help my arches. In Thailand this means wearing either shoes or closed-toe, closed-heel sandals in order to retain the orthoses.

The sandal cutouts allow some air to circulate and can be worn (formally) with, or without socks, although they are not as smooth and comfortable as the Mephistos. They also have the advantage of no laces (velcro strap) so can be kicked-off quickly when entering a house. Also great for packing as saves having to carry one pair of shoes AND one pair of sandals. One can find some of this type of sandal in Thailand, although it is hard to locate my size of 10 / 44.

What type of footwear do you favour, and why?

I also wear the same as you-Mephisto w/orthotics. They are the most comfortable combination I have found anywhere, although expensive. I would be a semi-cripple without them. I don't think sandals are a good choice for wear in walking on Thai sidewalks, which are broken and uneven in almost every locale. I would wear German army boots if they were not so hot. Next best choice Mephisto. Does anyone know where you can buy Mephisto in Thailand? If so where?

in bangkok, i wear shoes and socks all the time. if i'm running in lumpini, nike socks and shoes, if i'm at work or out at night at a nice restaurant etc.. italian dress shoes and cotton socks, if i go to RCA then adidas trainers and socks...you get the drift.

if i'm in a less polluted/filthy environment ie: the beach , then i'll wear flip flops.

look after your feet soldier !!