Lost New Zealand woman survives on breast milk

webfact

Lost New Zealand woman survives on breast milk

WELLINGTON (AFP) - A New Zealand woman told Monday how she survived lost in rugged wilderness by drinking her own breast milk and burying herself in dirt.

Susan O’Brien was taking part in a gruelling 20 kilometre (12.5 mile) run in forest south of Wellington on Sunday when she took a wrong turn and became disorientated.

The 29-year-old said she was convinced she was going to die during a night of rain and high winds, spending the time praying and thinking of her family.

Dressed in only light running gear, O’Brien said she scooped out a hole to keep warm and fed herself with breast milk.

"I just kept chucking dirt on top of me and every time I heard something I’d just scream ’help’," she told reporters after a helicopter fitted with heat-detecting sensors found her late Monday morning.

"One thing that helped me, I’m breastfeeding my baby, so I had a bit of my milk because I thought that would help me keep going for energy."

O’Brien had an emotional reunion with husband Daniel, son Jayden, 2, and eight-month-old daughter Meisha before being taken to hospital for a check-up.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Lost-New-Zealand-woman-survives-on-breast-milk-30259791.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-11

...ok unless I am mistaken, she spent 1 night away from food? If so, she didn't "survive" on milk though she probably took comfort in the act.

As I read it was only ONE night. It was raining. OK. She did not need to have food at all. Rain water was enough. So what is the article all about???

...ok unless I am mistaken, she spent 1 night away from food? If so, she didn't "survive" on milk though she probably took comfort in the act.

As I read it was only ONE night. It was raining. OK. She did not need to have food at all. Rain water was enough. So what is the article all about???

Cannibalism or self-eroticism I guess.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Am I wrong in thinking that the food/ nutrients required to produce breast milk would be greater than what she would of received by drinking it.

The milk was already produced at the time. Answer the following question to answer your own.

If she espressed the milk out into a paper cup ... would she get more nutrients if she drank it or threw it away?

The answer is obvious ... so dispense with the cup and go straight to the source.

Should be included in the survival guides, that anyone who intends trekking around the wilderness, should take a lactating woman with them as part of their survival kit.

It is actually a recommendation in the NZ Tramping and Bush Walking Handbook to do just this when going bush. In fact, two females (lactating or otherwise) are recommended if the trip is longer than three days.

The Handbook (ISBN 58008-618) also advises Kiwi males how to eat, root, shoot, and leave(s) while in the bush with said lactating women. coffee1.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

Should be included in the survival guides, that anyone who intends trekking around the wilderness, should take a lactating woman with them as part of their survival kit.

Wouldn't it be easier to just put a carton of UHT milk in your pack? A woman takes up too much room.

Wouldn't it be easier to just put a carton of UHT milk in your pack? A woman takes up too much room.

True....but the delivery mechanism (nipple versus straw) is somewhat more appealing.

It is actually a recommendation in the NZ Tramping and Bush Walking Handbook to do just this when going bush. In fact, two females (lactating or otherwise) are recommended if the trip is longer than three days.

The Handbook (ISBN 58008-618) also advises Kiwi males how to eat, root, shoot, and leave(s) while in the bush with said lactating women. coffee1.gif

If I was lost in the bush with two big breasted lactating women, I would not want to leave or be rescued.. Even if none of them survived I guarantee the males in the group, if found, would have smiles on their faces.

Titillation. gigglem.gif

Am I wrong in thinking that the food/ nutrients required to produce breast milk would be greater than what she would of received by drinking it.

That depends on whether you believe in perpetual emotion.

you got it wrong mate--- the kiwi term for bum-bum is rooting so they say ---------- Kiwi males--------- Eats ,Roots,Shoots,and leaves!!!!!!!!

He used the Aussie word "root" ... where did he get it wrong?

On a side note...Kiwi birds don't eat shoots and leaves ... Aussie wombats do. Another slang term stolen by the sheep shaggers across the ditch.

Kiwi eat small invertebrates, seeds,grubs, and many varieties of worms. They also may eat fruit, small crayfish, eels and amphibians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi

Wombats are herbivores; their diets consist mostly of grasses, sedges, herbs, bark, and roots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wombat

I rest my case.

biggrin.png

Edited by Fullstop

He used the Aussie word "root" ... where did he get it wrong?

On a side note...Kiwi birds don't eat shoots and leaves ... Aussie wombats do. Another slang term stolen by the sheep shaggers across the ditch.

Kiwi eat small invertebrates, seeds,grubs, and many varieties of worms. They also may eat fruit, small crayfish, eels and amphibians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi

Wombats are herbivores; their diets consist mostly of grasses, sedges, herbs, bark, and roots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wombat

I rest my case.

biggrin.png

Wow - "convict family tree" calling them over the ditch "sheep humpers" !! clap2.gif

Wow - "convict family tree" calling them over the ditch "sheep humpers" !!

Yes mate. I have evil criminal roots. Absolutely ruthless were my ancestors. My great great grandfather was thrown in chains on a leaky boat for 6 months for stealing a banana.

Don't mess with me!

tongue.png