Thai politics: Parties told not to hold forums

webfact

POLITICS
Parties told not to hold forums

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- POLITICAL parties and politicians should not be holding their own forums to criticise the charter draft, Deputy Defence Minister Udomdej Sitabutr warned yesterday.

Parties holding rallies and discussions at this stage would only disrupt the harmony that this government has been working to forge, he said, adding that all parties can express their political views through the Reconciliation Centre for Reform so those views can be considered and vetted by the government. Political parties have been barred from organising political activities since the coup last year.

Udomdej, who is also Army chief, added that last month, politicians, academics and college students had been invited to the centre to share their views on the draft charter and reforms.

He also urged parties and the public to exercise patience as vital reforms were in the process of taking effect before the draft charter reaches its final stage.

He said patience was necessary as relevant parties take the necessary steps to complete the charter amendment process. He said the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) was gathering input from all concerned agencies to prepare for charter amendments.

A meeting between the Cabinet and the NCPO was slated for May 19 to discuss progress on the subject.

Heated debates have been under way to discuss the newly drafted charter, a process that will lead to future elections.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Parties-told-not-to-hold-forums-30259862.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-12

So sad to keep seeing this. If a "bad" charter gets forced through, then all that means is some next political event will come and try to change it. If a country does not get solidly behind their constitution and maintain it and enforce it via the people, not the military, then it has no chance of staying. It will just lead to another coup.

So how will people be able to discuss the merits or weaknesses of the Draft Charter - if they cannot even meet? Is the government really serious in having people be informed adequately about the draft charter?

So sad to keep seeing this. If a "bad" charter gets forced through, then all that means is some next political event will come and try to change it. If a country does not get solidly behind their constitution and maintain it and enforce it via the people, not the military, then it has no chance of staying. It will just lead to another coup.

yes therefor they try to prevent all the corrupt politicians to build in loopholes into the charter.

Preventing these forums on how we can still be corrupt with the new charter is a good thing.

So how will people be able to discuss the merits or weaknesses of the Draft Charter - if they cannot even meet? Is the government really serious in having people be informed adequately about the draft charter?

politician want to meet, it is not Somchai the farmer and his neighbor the bank clerk want to meet.

These are proofed to be corrupt over the last decades want to meet.

"Parties holding rallies and discussions at this stage would only disrupt the harmony that this government has been working to forge, he said, adding that all parties can express their political views through the Reconciliation Centre for Reform so those views can be considered and vetted by the government."

In other words, "Prayuth the All-Knowing and All-Powerful" will decide which views are worthy of consideration. Mere mortals need not consider and discuss the charter, Prayuth and his designated lieutenants have already done that.

Edited by heybruce

yes therefor they try to prevent all the corrupt politicians to build in loopholes into the charter.

Preventing these forums on how we can still be corrupt with the new charter is a good thing.

Right, it's better to let a corrupt military write an undemocratic, self-serving constitution to keep the politicians in check and the "good people" in charge. Of course Prayuth decides who the good people are.

Right, it's better to let a corrupt military write an undemocratic, self-serving constitution to keep the politicians in check and the "good people" in charge. Of course Prayuth decides who the good people are.

yes, the last 15 years clearly shows that this would be better. And in most countries the constitution wasn't drafted in a democratic way.

At corrupt, self-serving the names that come into my mind: Thaksin, Samak, Yingluck, Banharn, Newin, etc etc.

There might be some corrupt at the military, but it is nothing to elite that rules Thailand in the pseudo-democratic way.

"had been invited to the centre to share their views on the draft charter and reforms."

That sounds inviting. I'm sure the person gets an all expense trip to the re-education camp.

At the very least said persons name goes into a data base and monitored.

"had been invited to the centre to share their views on the draft charter and reforms."

That sounds inviting. I'm sure the person gets an all expense trip to the re-education camp.

I doubt that anyone with an honest opinion get any problems. Why should they?

They can't it's not about the people nor the politicians it's about keeping the Military the main driving force for the foreseeable future.

It's a take it as it is, or we stay in power indefinitely scenario, those who thought Prayuth would go down as some sort of historical messiah will be proven wrong, in 5 years time he will just be another name behind a coup.

They are shaping the country to have all the ducks in a row for a certain date, Prayuth will not step down, and there will be no elections in Thailand before 2017. He will continue to throw teddies out of prams and the discord between him and the press will continue to deteriorate to the extent all editors will be replaced by Generals of the PMs chosing.

I hope I'm wrong, but gut instinct here tells me otherwise, I have on several occasions stated in willing to put 10,000 baht to any charity George nominates if there's elections before April 2016.

Given that the PDRC have already stated they run as part of the democracy party and will simply take to the streets again if PTP win, says it all.

I notice that Abhisist hasn't come out to either support their views, not criticise them either. The current divide within Thailand is never going to be healed with the attitude the PDRC hold.

Good luck trying to convince the people you seem to despise the most to vote for you!!

This SO reminds me of the infamous statement made by Nancy Pelosi regarding the passing of Obamacare:

"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it."

Don't ask questions or discuss the different aspects of the charter, just OBEY it!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Only a good thing from the perspective of the aristocrats who do not want their hold over Thai society to be released or disturbed in any manner. The draft is written to secure an aristocratic shadow government that can strangle an elected government should it proceed too far with pluralist desires. The "loopholes" are the only remaining vestiges of democratic governance.

yes, the last 15 years clearly shows that this would be better. And in most countries the constitution wasn't drafted in a democratic way.

At corrupt, self-serving the names that come into my mind: Thaksin, Samak, Yingluck, Banharn, Newin, etc etc.

There might be some corrupt at the military, but it is nothing to elite that rules Thailand in the pseudo-democratic way.

The last 15 years? What about the years before then http://kyotoreview.org/issue-17/inequality-and-politics-in-thailand-2/?

There might be some corruption in the military? Granted, no elected government would dare investigate or audit this coup-happy military, and the when in charge the military isn't going to investigate itself http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/. However the slave trade exposed in the south, where the military has been "guarding" the border and surrounding areas for years, indicates the military is either very corrupt or very incompetent, or both. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thousands-of-boat-people-in-dozens-more-camps-30259867.html. Either way, they should not be running the country.

Like the people who were detained for honestly calling for elections? How about the people who dare criticize the junta? How about the people on this forum who want to use the D-word that accurately describes Prayuth?

Like the people who were detained for honestly calling for elections? How about the people who dare criticize the junta? How about the people on this forum who want to use the D-word that accurately describes Prayuth?

Yes these honest people.....Everyone of these in troubles were the same commies that are bought by Thaksin, not one was some regular person who want to do something for the country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Only a good thing from the perspective of the aristocrats who do not want their hold over Thai society to be released or disturbed in any manner. The draft is written to secure an aristocratic shadow government that can strangle an elected government should it proceed too far with pluralist desires. The "loopholes" are the only remaining vestiges of democratic governance.

The aristocrats....come on.....and the loopholes democratic? Where do you live?

Putting the relatives in top position of army and police, try to undermine the courts, and be extreme corrupt is what they did.....That has nothing to do with democratic.

And don't forget your democratic hero killed 3000 people in his war against drugs, he told Democracy is not my goal, he bought parties and suggest once a single party system.

And they shot on demonstrators.

The army need to make a constitution that prevents that and if some aristocrats get some control than it is way better than the Shinawatras without the military Thailand would have got their version of Suharto or Marcos a long time already.

Yes these honest people.....Everyone of these in troubles were the same commies that are bought by Thaksin, not one was some regular person who want to do something for the country.

I see, only Thaksin bought commies criticize a military d*******ship and call for elections. I'm glad you cleared that up for us.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It's interesting that these quislings become increasingly incoherent and crazed as the pressure mounts - as it becomes clear even to the formerly deluded that Thailand is suffering from its worst government in decades.

If it helps these people to keep on ranting about Thaksin's commies I suppose we must understand.In the meantime they should remember to take their meds.

It's interesting that these quislings become increasingly incoherent and crazed as the pressure mounts - as it becomes clear even to the formerly deluded that Thailand is suffering from its worst government in decades.

If it helps these people to keep on ranting about Thaksin's commies I suppose we must understand.In the meantime they should remember to take their meds.

When all else fails, it's the commies:D:D:D

I suppose the next logical (?) step is call for B52s to destroy the village in order to save it!:rolleyes: