Picasso painting sells for US$179M; Giacometti sculpture US$141M

webfact

Interesting fact... The "Black Square" of the famous Russian painter Kazimir Malevich 7 times was stolen from museum. And every time it was miraculously restored by cleaning woman who comes at place before opening hours.gigglem.gif

post-228573-0-36350800-1431659768_thumb.

Interesting fact... The "Black Square" of the famous Russian painter Kazimir Malevich 7 times was stolen from museum. And every time it was miraculously restored by cleaning woman who comes at place before opening hours.gigglem.gif

And those 'paintings' which are often a giant black swath of paint on a white background. The artists are nearly always based in NYC (hub of over-hype) and the paintings fetch big money. I saw a video-interview attempt with one of the faux artists in his studio. When the interviewer started filming the 'artist' splashing paint on the canvas, the artist requested the camera be turned off. It was obvious to the artist, and everyone else what a sham operation it all was.

The stratopheric prices for paintings can't go up forever. It's like a giant slow-moving pyramid scheme. Eventually (maybe soon) prices will plummet, and some ding-dongs (and galleries) will get stuck holding shoddy creations worth much less than they paid. People are herd animals.

One would think reality would more likely set in re; sham pieces of pseudo-art, than with real masterpieces like the 'Old Masters', but humans are such a quirky species, that nothing will amaze any more.

This may explain why art sells at such ridiculous prices.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/banks-helping-rich-unlock-value-in-artwork-171713965.html;_ylt=AwrXgSOveVVVqygAwMiTmYlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBzZ3RtdjhxBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxMAR2dGlkAwRzZWMDc2M-

Banks helping rich unlock value in artwork

In all cases, the loans allow ultra-high net worth individuals who collect art to free up capital and put the money to work elsewhere.

Personally I think that Picasso is rubbish.

I don't mind rich idiots who buy his garbage at any price but I'd hate to see my taxes going to state museums who buy ridiculous "paintings" like this at such outrageous prices.

Anyway, here is a funny censure story of this painting by a FoxNews associate in prudish America.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/may/14/fox-news-picasso-painting-censorship

That's good. And the janitor has a little tube of black ink in his supply box - in case the painting gets damaged, he can touch it up - no problem.

Reminds me of a true story: not long ago, it was discovered that one of Jackson Pollock's paintings, hanging in a gallery, had some paint recently added in one corner of the painting. It sounds like a joke news item. Imagine if one of the old masters' paintings (Goya or El Greco, for example) had some brushstrokes added - what the uproar would be in the art world. With Pollock, it hardly matters, because all his creations came from randomly dripped paint to begin with - so what's the big deal with a few added splatters.

I guess if you're the first one to drip paint on a white canvas, then you're going to be a multi-millionaire success. All subsequent paint-drippers can only hope for moderate success. Incidentally, it fits with my assertion earlier: you gotta do your hyped artwork in one of the largest western cities (preferably NYC), or it don't mean diddly squat.

One of the really skilled painters (I don't put Picasso remotely in that category) was El Greco. He hailed for Crete, but spent most of his adult life in Seville Spain. Take a look at his landscape painting of Toledo. It predates the impressionists and cubism by 200 years!